↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > CPO Defender 90 woes - normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
CPO Defender 90 woes - normal?
Good day,

So I'm week 2 into my recently acquired certified pre-owned Defender 90 and until now, it's not been a positive experience to say the least. While I love the thing in general, the below has put me off and hoping you can shed some light on if I'm being too sensitive and/or is this normal.

In no particular order:

1. Vehicle was advertised and all paperwork documented as it having 33,000 miles or there about. I didn't think to check the odometer but did glance at it the next morning to find it actually has 36,000! Not insignificant. CPO claims to have a mileage check etc but clearly not. Retailer has offered the next service at N/C as compensation but have yet to see said letter.

2. Parking brake failed to hold the 90 on a slight inclined drive, even with me pulling it up with all my might.

3. Any audio input - tuner/iPod/bluetooth - intermittent interference through all speakers

4. Upon turning ignition off I get what I can only describe as electrical noise from behind the dials.

5. Rust found in the common area of the rear door water channel/gutter

6. Car had what looks like a quick wax/polish as I'm still trying to wipe away all the excess on the door seals. Any black plastic on this thing is now light grey/white due to said wax being applied there as well. I pointed out that the paint has a lot of swirling but was assured a full paint correction is done. Doesn't look to be the case.

7. Not much of an interior detail/valet done Seats have stains etc. Easily cleaned by me but CPO standards?

8. Rear shocks look to be leaking as there is a lot of sweating happening.

9. Rear door lock doesn't always work

10. Missing key documentation - immobilizer code, radio code, CPO states a full MOT is carried out if it has less than 10mths. Mine has 7 left to go etc

11. Leaks quite badly behind the front seats. Only noticed this when removing the rubber rear mat and seeing the damp carpet. I was removing the mat due to wanting to clear out what I assumed was someone being overzealous on deodorizing spray but smelling the mildewy carpet I can see why this was the case.

12. Needs an alignment as it pulls to the left. It has new tyres all around, 3 of which I paid for so would have thought checking this would have been carried out.

Retailer is aware of this and it's going back tomorrow to have these things looked at. My question is, is this all bit much and would your feeling be that perhaps it wasn't properly put through CPO?

I will be requesting that it goes through the certification again and a proper valet in and out but having hinted at this a few times, I am not feeling confident I'll win that one.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P
Post #650766 17th Sep 2017 10:45am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
All sounds normal to me for a Defender!

The leak to the rear of the seats is through the door seals, bang them back on with a rubber hammer or put a bit of vaseline on them (they often leak even from new)
Parking break is on the drum so can be a bit loose feeling if you're not used to one
The noise after turning off is probably the EGR valve cleaning (if its a Puma)...entirely normal
They rust in most places especially where tin meets aluminium...get some ACF 50
Rear door lock can be a Censored , strip down & lube

I have no idea (I might be thick here) what CPO means? Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #650771 17th Sep 2017 11:08am
Puma_MOG

Thanks for the feedback Fat Cog.

CPO - Certified Pre-Owned. I bought my Defender from Land Rover under this program. I know most of the things on the list are common and many an easy fix. However, one does pay a premium buying from LR direct vs. private or a non-LR retailer so my overall intent of the post was to feel out if such a list of faults should be expected when buying under such a program.

Thank you again for your input!

P
Post #650772 17th Sep 2017 11:15am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
All common faults on the Defender. But as you say most should have been identified and rectified before you took possession.
However, some of the faults are easily missed and some not faults. They should at least have got the valet right, the rust and the parking brake and the rear shocks and wheel alignment.
Perhaps should have spotted the leak behind the seats, but it is easily missed. Just had to fix this on mine (2years old)- failed mastic to seam under wheel arch.
Depending on the radio, you may not have a code, and the immobiliser code isn't routinely supplied. Depending on the radio fitted it can be pretty iffy, certainly do not expect modern audio standards.
I have never bought a certified pre owned -do you get a warranty included as part of the package?
Keep on at the dealer until you are satisfied, and if you did not get a warranty try to press him to include one as part of your complaint.
Hope this helps.
Post #650780 17th Sep 2017 12:39pm
Puma_MOG

Thanks for the input Balvaig

It does come with a 2 year warranty and it was just dropped off this AM. At the end of the day it will or at least should all get fixed. I guess my expectations were much higher than what was delivered and especially the cost of it all.

Fingers crossed it does.

I did reach out to JLR, got a call the following day to call them back. 10 calls over almost 2 weeks resulted in me calling the main line again. Did eventually get a call back and am told they are following the case. Again, fingers crossed.

The most frustrating thing is when I showed up my sales guy acted like he didn't realize I was coming in even though we talked about it twice before and a follow up email!

Apologies for the vent Smile
Post #651060 18th Sep 2017 5:09pm
Puma_MOG

Thought I'd give a bit of an update.

Took it back to the retailer on Monday and the service rep had me go out with one of their senior techs. We spent 30 mins of driving around to point out a few things and more than that talking about the other stuff. As it turns out the retailer who supplied me the Defender wasn't the one who did the CPO inspection.

They put a very long work order together for the specific problems and also did a full inspection on top. Needless to say that after they had it for a few days many new parts were installed and others tightened up. In regards to the small rust point in the rain gutter, they are stripping out all of the sealant around the whole top and redoing this to ensure it's done right.

Water ingress area was also identified and corrected.

Service tech called me on Thursday to discuss in great detail all the work carried out and a few things that were deemed as normal which I was satisfied with.

All in all, couldn't be happier with how they are making things right. Only bad part is I've been without my Defender all this week and for most of next. But rather have it as I envisioned than not and then can get into making it my own Smile

Thanks again for the input and advice

P
Post #652227 23rd Sep 2017 8:15am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It sounds like it's going in the right direction but there is a Customer Relationship rep on here from JLR who can help if you don't get satisfaction.
Post #652240 23rd Sep 2017 8:38am
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Last post on here from CRC was an out of office message in June, with alternate contact details

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic55103.html

I suppose it is only natural for JLR to lose interest in a discontinued model.
Post #652253 23rd Sep 2017 10:00am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Glad to hear that satisfactory progress has been made. Does sound as though your dealer wants to put things right.
You will soon be able to forget about the shaky start and enjoy the Defender - but you will still have to expect future problems - part of the fun of Defender ownership Laughing
Post #652254 23rd Sep 2017 10:06am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
It sounds like they are finally going to give you the service youve paid for.

When/if you are satisfied with the end product it might be nice to give them a mention on here. We need to support the good guys as well as criticise the bad.
Post #652271 23rd Sep 2017 12:35pm
Puma_MOG

Thanks All.

Having had 18 months of Morgan ownership under my belt, I can assure you I am well prepared for what is in store for the Defender. Perhaps I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. Whistle

The stories I have been reading on Def2.net sound similar to the Morgan experience but in many ways seems like a cake walk. I can write a small book on the mishaps that took place on my MOG.

Very much looking forward to collecting it again next week and it shows to me at least that I've already grown attached to it over a short period.

Mods are planned but want to enjoy it as it is for a short while.

As for the retailer in question - Marshall Web in Melton Mowbray. Top notch service from James which is going out of his way to correct issues he never caused. Can't thank him enough.

Bring on Thursday!
Post #652304 23rd Sep 2017 4:03pm
jerseyman

I'm afraid both Morgan and Land Rover work on the "we'll start them you can finish them" approach. But both are pretty rewarding, one advantage of the Morgan is that once fixed it tends to stay fixed, but with the Defender you have to stay on top of them all the time

Brian

2011 2.4 90
2002 +8
Post #652323 23rd Sep 2017 6:36pm
Puma_MOG

Good to know jerseyman.

With the Morgan, it's fairly settled now aside from the odd time that hitting the throttle is just that and nothing happens which can be disconcerting at roundabouts etc and many other quirks.

As a non-born Brit but having living here now for about 3 years, there is something that just draws me to something that isn't 100% perfect but yet oozes charm. I view the Defender as a 'Morgan' that can be taken out regardless of the weather. Said MOG is a tad boring, non engaging etc unless it's full on dry and sunny weather so the Defender in my mind fills that gap. Wink
Post #652373 23rd Sep 2017 11:44pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
sounds like you need a couple more cars in your stable can I suggest a TVR and a Lotus out of the 4 , 1 might be working properly at any one time DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #652379 24th Sep 2017 6:08am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Puma Mog. The small band of Morgan and Defender owners is growing (we must be mad). I have a Plus 8 and a 90SW whilst my friend in Cambridgeshire has a Plus 8 and a 110SW. You've quickly realised that they have similar quirks, none more so that the respective factories couldn't give a Censored . (But I still love owning and driving them). Embarassed Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #652391 24th Sep 2017 8:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>