↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RX8 seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yetiman45

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Blenheim Silver
RX8 seats
Finally got round to fitting the RX8 seats into the 110 today. What a transformation,so much more comfortable and loads of support. Not too difficult a job either Smile
Post #466437 25th Oct 2015 6:12pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Pics please
Post #466445 25th Oct 2015 6:20pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Jay Boy some here from another installation of the same seats. Thumbs Up

consumerize wrote:
I have Silentcoat on every panel of mine, including roof. On top of that is foam padding, and the roof liner. On the floor, there is Silent Coat, foam padding, carpet and thick rubber LR mat. Its still loud. Its then engine and transmission, you just can't reduce the noise as there is little or no sound deadening behind the dash, and the air vents on the front and thin windscreen don't help. It has stopped all the road noise, gushing of water from wet roads on wheel arches etc.

tracking down and stopping all the little rattles from windows, trim etc takes away a lot of irritation also.

Turning the radio up seems to help....

For comfort, the best mods I would say I have made are :

Fitting a smaller steering wheel. better manoeuvrability and much less elbow bashing on the door.

Changing the seats. For me, the original ones are back breakers. I replaced them with Mazda RX8 seats. Leather, heated and electrically operated. Very comfortable and cheap when compared to Recaro's etc.

Click image to enlarge

For eye comfort, change the headlights to either LED headlights if you budget will stretch, or maybe Wipac Crystals. You'll actually be able to see more than 5 yards in front!
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #466446 25th Oct 2015 6:29pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Bow down Thumbs Up
Post #466447 25th Oct 2015 6:30pm
yetiman45

I fitted the manual seats, if you look you can find them dirt cheap, I paid £50. May change to a smaller steering wheel, will see how I get on with the standard one first. Will post some pics tomorrow.
Post #466460 25th Oct 2015 6:46pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I plumped for the Smart seats, a bit less bulky than the rx8, leather and heated, though no electronic adjustment. Perfect.
Post #466466 25th Oct 2015 6:51pm
yetiman45

Pics as requested

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #466807 26th Oct 2015 8:22pm
swissoak110

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
How hard are they to fit, very interested in doing the same, could someone post some pics of how they did it, cheers
Post #468421 1st Nov 2015 8:32pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I haven't got many pictures but when I fitted mine all that I did was to grind off/drill out all the rivets fixing the original mounts off the seat rails of the seats leaving me with the basic sliding rails. The holes left at the front correspond with the holes in the Defender seat box and I welded two strips on the backs of the rails to extend the rails by around 50mm to correspond with the holes at the back of the seat box. Then just put a live and earth into the seat loom to power the seat for the electric motors and joined the seat heaters to some switches fitted in the dash.
One thing that I did to make the under seat access easier was to make the rear fixings to the seat box into simple hinges so all I have to do to gain access to the battery or ecm etc is to unscrew the two front bolts and the whole seat tilts back into the second row seats as mine is a 110 Station Wagon.
Post #468468 1st Nov 2015 10:17pm
yetiman45

Thats exactly how I did mine. The only difference being I added the extra plates to the front of the seat rails so that the seats are further back, oh and no hinge mechanism. One drawback that I have found is that due to the longer seat bases, they catch on th top of my wellies while driving.
Post #468573 2nd Nov 2015 11:49am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The biggest drawbak I found was that when these seats are fitted in the Mazda you are climbing up and out as you're generally scraping your arris on the floor. When fitted in the Defender you are sliding sideways and down to the ground which gives the plastic scuttle on the side of the seats with the switches a fair bit of abuse. After nearly losing the knobs on the switches a few times I fitted a bar which rises up from the front mounting point, then level with the seat and fixed to the back seat fixing. I now slide my but over that which saves pulling the switch panel off. Another advantage is that the seat belt is kept away from the door catch so it doesn't get eaten every time I shut the door.

Click image to enlarge

Mine will look slightly different where it joins the seat box as the actuallt sit on some seat risers that I had fitted to the original seats. The problem I had was that the risers I made lifted the seats by 45mm but when I put the RX8 seats in I had not got enough clearance between the seat squab and the steering wheel so I modified the risers to go from 45mm at the rear down to 0mm at the front. The risers also move the seat base further back, much like adding the 50mm to the front of the RX8 rails plus they also allow the seat to move inboard away from the door post by around 35mm. More space for the elbow.
Post #468576 2nd Nov 2015 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1