↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > So what are the alternatives to an LR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
So what are the alternatives to an LR?
Had a nice couple of weeks away with the tintent but it was spoiled by my nervousness about parking the puma in various places. So I am thinking of replacing it. I will still have my v8 90 (though I really must build it!), so not leaving the fold!

But what are the alternatives? 1 child, and two dogs (one large) to be carried, along with dragging a tintent of substantial size (1.6 tonne) and needs to be not a D3/D4 as too worried about massive engine failures. V8 90...WIP
Post #642601 8th Aug 2017 6:19pm
SonicFields

'D4 massive Engine failures' .. new to me, quite happy with my own 3.0L SDV6 auto D4, it's more powerful, has more space than the D90, has good all round vision and just as competent off-road.

Have you thought about using or adapting a trailer, which can provide more cargo space, be used by different tow vehicles, and even left with tent erected on selected sites whilst exploring elsewhere Question
Post #642605 8th Aug 2017 6:53pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I stopped being nervous after getting back to the Defender after a BMW. Not too afraid for careless people smashing their doors against my car (sidestep) at the local supermarket. 😄

X5?
Post #642606 8th Aug 2017 6:57pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Range Rover Wink

In all seriousness I've had a 2007 TDV8 for the last 3 or 4 years. It hasn't been without it's problems but to be honest most of them haven't been too bad and I largely expected given I bought it with 100k on the clock. The two expensive repairs so far have been a problem with the transfer box and tyres... I got it as a potential replacement for the 110 but narrow lanes around the UK don't do the sidewalls any good (being a TDV8 with Brembos all round the smallest standard rims are 19"). The other was I went a bit deeper than I should have into the river along Strata Florida and flooded the transfer box with water. Was actually a simple fix - once the damn problem had been found as no one had come across it before. Other than that the front air suspension, alternator and EGRs have been replaced the latter two I did myself. Parts surprisingly aren't that expensive for them.

Plus points - comfort wise it's competitors are more along the lines of Bentleys, Rolls, S-classes, 7 series and so on. I've not driven competitors but it's no slouch on the road - handling wise it won't be up there with Porsche and so on but it really doesn't instill that kind of driving in you. I find I'm immediately more relaxed when I'm in it because it's such a pleasant place to be. Towing wise it had no trouble moving a 2 tonne milling machine on a 1.5 tonne trailer or the 110 loaded up with stuff with a boot full as well. Apart from newer models you'd struggle to find a better two vehicle. Off-road from the showroom floor it will hit a Defender for 6 - it is truly astonishing what it's capable of. Fit a half decent pair of shoes to it and it helps it out even more. You need to learn to work with the electronics not against them, they are designed for numpties so you won't go far wrong doing that. They have more ground clearance as standard but the major downside with the kind of trips I do is that you can't really get chunky tyres - aggressive tread patterns are available but they've still got sod all sidewall.

When I was looking to buy I was actually looking at D3/D4s. Having driven a D4 I didn't want to settle for a D3 but the D4 was pushing the budget a little. Just as I was looking the L405 was launched so I had a cheeky look at second hand ones and if you didn't want the 7 seats they were far better value for money - and probably still are. The boot isn't quite as capacious as a Disco but it's not small by any means. The deal maker for me was the TDV8 - if I was looking now I'd probably go for a 4.2 or 5.0 supercharged though. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #642610 8th Aug 2017 7:03pm
Paulv8

The rangey doesn't have the boot space (it's short in height and length. I had a 4.2 supercharged l322 and sold it.

Sonic, the crank and shell problems with the td and sdv6 are well documented on the disco3 site.

A trailer wouldn't help as I am not struggling for boot space and tow a caravan anyway.

I won't park the defender anywhere because I am worried about theft of the whole car, or just doors/boot etc. I think this is highly likely if I am leaving the car in remote locations whilst I climb a mountain etc. V8 90...WIP
Post #642620 8th Aug 2017 7:34pm
tookaphotoof

Never worried about that, but than again, I don't live in UK. Anyways, I think I'd be more afraid someone stole a RR.
Wouldn't consider an old VW van I guess?
Post #642624 8th Aug 2017 7:56pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Ford Ranger?
Post #642646 8th Aug 2017 9:24pm
Paulv8

It needs to have aircon in the boot for the big hairy dog V8 90...WIP
Post #642662 8th Aug 2017 11:05pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
VW Caddy Maxi Life, loads of room for the dogs, a decent engine power and good for towing a caravan. Often overlooked because it's a "van" but actually a good reliable vehicle that's economical (compared to LR) and comfortable to drive.

As they are commonly used by "dog people" there are lots of different options available for them too, crate systems, guards, dog security etc... the RSPCA use the panel van version.

We've been considering selling our Range Rover (L322) and replacing it with one as that seems to be getting used primarily for daily transport and as a dog van.

Just noticed the size/weight of your caravan, max for a Caddy is 1.5 tonnes so maybe not an option ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #642666 8th Aug 2017 11:21pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
A 1.6 tonne caravan isn't that heavy really. Most decent sized saloons can tow 1.5 ton and even a Freelander/Disco Sport/Evoque are rated at 2t. So i think pretty much any 4x4 will do it, obviously you want a bit more of a margin than towing at full weight all the time, so saloon cars will always be pushing it.

I like the look of the current Ford ranger, i reckon they've built a good looking car. It still has that rugged commercial vehicleness to it. The Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi pickups are just as capable, but i find they look a bit dull.

I had an L322 and while i loved it, they do rust (Wheel arches and bottom of upper tailgate). They're extremely complex machines. Not that it means they can't be fixed, or that they'll let you down, but there is a lot more there to go wrong in the first place. If you think a Defender gearbox is a big heavy lump, try a 6 speed ZF box! They're fantastic all they time they're working properly and they really are in the highest league when it comes to passenger comfort.
Post #642668 9th Aug 2017 12:53am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
...im really stunned by number of threads where people exposing their concern about their defender been stolen..i had no idea that its so big thiefs target...im not living in europe for past 20 years so i am not really up to whats going on there and my judgment is based on area im living at and here, defender is seen as super cool truck, but everybody wanna steal Toyota Hilux..Defender?? You can leave it open and unlocked...

Considering that europe is/should be well organized(is it?) in terms of such things (car theft), where is the market for all that stolen Defenders?? Over here, you can still buy brand new double cabs 110, so i was under impression that market is..saturated and theft is minimal??
Post #642674 9th Aug 2017 3:40am
tookaphotoof

If I'm correct, Transporter, Caravelle and Multivan have or can have aircon for a big hairy dog. 😉
They tow pretty well. Had one myself.
Post #642693 9th Aug 2017 7:38am
stricko

United Kingdom 
We were thinking about leaving the fold recently as I was getting fed up taking all the various locks off just to nip to the shops. We looked at a lot of different options. The one that came out tops for us was the Nissan X-trail and we very nearly went for it.

In the end I bought a very cheap mini to run around in and park in front of the defender as another layer of security!

They look funny next to each other - little and large! ---------------------------------------------------------------
Post #642694 9th Aug 2017 7:40am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I had one of these, a 59plate Wrangler Unlimited. An excellent vehicle, I used it on farms and muddy/snowy building sites, great off road, happy at 80+ cruising on the motorway or towing the trailer/Ducati to a track day. I'd have another, without a doubt.
It was a delivery miles/pre-reg that was on offer at £14,435 inc VAT, I did 20odd thousand miles in it and got £14,000 when I traded it in for a 90HT.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #642695 9th Aug 2017 7:45am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Radical thought but if you're thinking of getting rid of the puma then you can't be too attached to it. Why not keep it, if it gets nicked it gets nicked, hassle I know but if sounds as if you have the ideal vehicle at the moment.

I've never really had an issue with leaving mine when I go shooting or climbing mountains. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #642696 9th Aug 2017 7:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>