Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Flashed by a French speed camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
justinp

United Kingdom 
Flashed by a French speed camera
Hi Chaps,

I've just been flashed by a fixed speed camera in France for the 3rd time in less than 2 weeks Sad

I the first two instances, I was travelling on duel carriageway and someone overtook me just as we passed the camera. I wasn't too worried, but noted the French cameras only flash once, so I hope they can determine which of us was breaking the speed limit.

Today I was travelling around 95kph on a 110kph stretch of duel carriageway. Waze had warned me there was a speed enforcing zone, I spotted the camera and double checked my speed. I followed a car passed the camera and it flashed at me, I don't think it flashed the car in front.

The only explanation I can come to, is that the camera may be configured to catch commercial vehicles, and after checking my details with the DVLA they will discard it.

Do any of you know more about how the French speed cameras work, and whether they can judge a vehicles height / class?

Thanks - Justin. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #642587 8th Aug 2017 4:42pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I may been through a few speed cameras (hidden armco versions) in France at blistering speeds in a GT3 RS....nothing heard!

I heard a rumour they average your times through tolls.... nothing heard there either.

Your experience may differ Laughing
Post #642590 8th Aug 2017 4:59pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
Was that before May this year? From May the French (and other EU contries) can now obtain U.K. car owner details from the DVLA so UK drivers can be prosecuted. Before May they could not, so unless you were stopped at the time by Gendarmerie, they had no way to fine a U.K. driver. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #642592 8th Aug 2017 5:11pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I was flashed by 3 at 110kmh in a 130 zone. I think it's the height of the vehicle and speeding as a lorry! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #642595 8th Aug 2017 5:42pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Whilst they have an agreement to obtain driver info from the DVLA, it's not (as far as I'm aware) automatic like the agreement between France and Switzerland which is done by computer. As such, given your speed (which from recollection would be a 90€ on the spot fine for a foreigner) I doubt they'd have the means or the energy (given it's the French hols) to track you down. Until it's automated I'd strongly suggest most Defenders will not be on the authorities radar as you won't have the ability to transgresse enough (unless you're doing 110kmh in a 30 Whistle ). It'll be the Porsche drivers (there are other marques you can choose from) bombing down to the Côte d'Azur at 180kmh that they'll be after. And drunk/dangerous drivers arrested over here. I was stopped by a laser/outrider combo just last week (ahem, Whistle ), and had I been French the speed I was going would have been big fine and points. The boss of the crew (who had, by the time I arrived, pulled over an RS6, RS3, two porsches, an allroad, an R22 and two mopeds Shocked ), simply said to his young sidekick, don't bother, just give him a 90€. It wasn't worth their effort getting my details and they had nothing on-line. Gendarmes are normally seriously officious, so if they can't be bothered, don't expect à French 'fonctionnaire ' In one of their Ministry's to make the effort.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #642608 8th Aug 2017 7:01pm
Grenadier

Addendum. Think you'd be classed as a car if they do do you. It's normally done face on with Registration. So they'll clearly see some nutcase taking chances by speeding in a steel 1950s designed death trap. You might get a medal!! Bow down Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #642614 8th Aug 2017 7:07pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Grenadier wrote:
..As such, given your speed (which from recollection would be a 90€ on the spot fine for a foreigner):

My speed was 15kph below the speed limit, so I shouldn't be fined at all, or am I missing something? Is the defender classed differently from a car? Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #642636 8th Aug 2017 8:44pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Never heard of French speed cameras being able to distinct if it is a car or a commercial vehicle, and then on the spot adjust the speed at which it will flash. We don't even have such things yet here in Switzerland, let alone in Frouzes country. Laughing
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #642637 8th Aug 2017 8:44pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I've not heard of speed cameras doing that either, but it wouldn't take much to roughly measure the height of the vehicle with some simple image processing using the camera. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #642639 8th Aug 2017 8:48pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Its French it wont work Whistle
Post #642647 8th Aug 2017 9:25pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Don't know anything about France, but there are / were speed cameras in the UK that can distinguish a lorry from cars. I was led to believe they install loops in the road and it measures axles. I had a mate who ended up with three points a few years ago driving an Artic on the A17 near RAF Cranwell. It's a 60 limit (40 for trucks) and most Artics are restricted to 57-58mph so it obviously worked for him, but wouldn't be photographing every car or Land Rover for doing 60 as they passed?
Post #642648 8th Aug 2017 9:29pm
Grenadier

justinp wrote:
I've not heard of speed cameras doing that either, but it wouldn't take much to roughly measure the height of the vehicle with some simple image processing using the camera.

Oops, sorry about that, completely missed the paragraph with the salient info. No, you won't get done at all. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #642682 9th Aug 2017 6:37am
Sammyboy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Sumatra Black
I was flashed by a road side camera in May (after the change of law date!!) and haven't heard anything yet. As I understand the new rules the French have up to 12 months to request your details from the DVLA. Fingers crossed !! Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #642711 9th Aug 2017 10:07am
Grenadier

^^ Think like a Frenchman:

'Can I be bothered to hand-process this 90€ fine, for which I personally will see no bonus, or should I just go to lunch...?' Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #642716 9th Aug 2017 10:33am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have a friend who is police and he know nothing of any automatic radar that makes difference between size of vehicle for speed radar in France. Only if it is with police actually there using a hand held with targeted project and also some things at toll boxes (but this is for weight).
It is true they have calculation for average speed between take the ticket and payment booth but ruling against using this for enforcement many years ago because of variables and not reliable. Only in extreme cases.
Post #642727 9th Aug 2017 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>