↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Heads Up - Suspicious Activity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SonicFields

Heads Up - Suspicious Activity
A short story:

Recently purchased a Defender accessory off an automotive trader on Fleabay, later that week, early one Sunday morning, a suspicious vehicle (Discovery 4) with driver was spotted sitting up nearby for quite a while. It then slowly passed my property with passenger's window down (no passenger present) with the driver leaning over, surreptitiously operating what appeared to be a large telephoto lens pointing towards my drive and parked LR vehicles. Just managed to catch the Reg.No. so reported the suspicious activity to the Police, who were quite interested! They logged the suspicious activity and the vehicle which came back as company owned with correct match of registration and description.

Later did my own plate check, and guess what, said vehicle recently registered a change of normal to personalised plate, was a high mileage commercial vehicle, same registration town (Midlands Area) as the Fleabay trader's ............ of course it may be a mere coincidence! Wink

So just be aware, this may be one method of finding suitable target vehicles.
Post #640153 27th Jul 2017 5:11pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Interesting post.
Obviously you wont want to name at this stage (and probably shouldn't because there is no real evidence) but out of curiosity, what kind of accessory was it? or at least the value? And how far would they have travelled?
Post #640186 27th Jul 2017 7:28pm
SonicFields

You're quite correct, I would not want to give too much away, apart from saying that it would have been a 300 mile round trip, and the £60 accessory clearly identifies its use on a Defender only.

Luckily, living in a fairly rural area has its benefits, one being that 'foreign' vehicles stand out like a sore thumb; the downside however, is that everyone else knows what you're up to Laughing
Post #640194 27th Jul 2017 8:19pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
E-Bay is a cover for criminal activity, stollen goods, tax dodging traders and criminals, ok there are a few honest traders but they just help legitimise the crooks. - The police shut down pubs that have too much trade in illegal and stollen goods so why they don't shut down E-bay! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #640197 27th Jul 2017 8:26pm
Dobby

Highly unlikely I'd say. Although the telephoto lens is odd. Are you sure it was a camera he had?

It'd be easier to drive round any local station/supermarket/public car park to find target Defenders. Why travel 300 odd miles for one, unless it's gold plated of course. Very Happy
Post #640210 27th Jul 2017 10:02pm
dorsetsmith

RFT wrote:
E-Bay is a cover for criminal activity, stollen goods, tax dodging traders and criminals, ok there are a few honest traders but they just help legitimise the crooks. - The police shut down pubs that have too much trade in illegal and stollen goods so why they don't shut down E-bay!

pude are base in uk Exclamation E-bay base oversea and on internet Exclamation

and noway do I condone criminal activity
Post #640260 28th Jul 2017 9:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The other possibility is that there is a police operation going on investigating a stolen parts ring, and they've followed a stolen item to you address to see who is receiving it. The vehicle you saw was an undercover officer following the item.
Post #640264 28th Jul 2017 9:46am
SonicFields

blackwolf

Thankfully it wasn't a 'part', it was a new accessory, and I only hope that if it was a Police operation, they make a better job of going undercover in the future than they did that time. Far better for them to use a BT Open Reach van as they're always parked up out of the way around here Rolling with laughter ...............Thinking about it, perhaps those vans are them Embarassed
Post #640276 28th Jul 2017 10:30am
SonicFields

Dobby wrote:
Highly unlikely I'd say. Although the telephoto lens is odd. Are you sure it was a camera he had?

It'd be easier to drive round any local station/supermarket/public car park to find target Defenders. Why travel 300 odd miles for one, unless it's gold plated of course. Very Happy

I know camera glass, when I see it Wink
Post #640278 28th Jul 2017 10:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1