↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > PUMA 2.2 EGR Blanking - Flogging a Dead Horse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Fox

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
PUMA 2.2 EGR Blanking - Flogging a Dead Horse
I've read so much about 2.2 EGR blanking experiences my eyes hurt.

I've a MY2014 2.2 which is completely standard. I previously had a TD5 to which I fitted a EGR removal kit (pass-through pipe) and would like to remove the EGR as much as possible from the current 2.2 puma. Understand that this isn't really feasible without significant trickery, but am still in 2 minds as to whether blanking plates such as this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-blanking-pla...xyeZNTUjpp

yield a decent job of 'removing' the EGR valve effect, WITHOUT triggering the EML. Can anyone offer an up-to-date experience or opinion on this?

If I did bite the bullet and fit one to find out for myself, what's the procedure for fixing the EML (if) it comes on.
Post #639633 25th Jul 2017 2:57pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
To reset the EML you'll either need to plug in a diagnostic tool and clear the fault (which will last a few drive cycles before it comes on again)

Or you can remove the blanking plate and then it will clear its self after a few drive cycles.

Basically don't bother. If you want to get rid of the EGR, get a software patch from Bell Auto Services and then just blank it off fully. Will cost about £200 or if you get a remap it's included in the cost of the remap.
Post #639643 25th Jul 2017 3:46pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Is the EGR giving problems? If not just leave it till it does. Taking it out is not going to turn your 2.2 into 4.2 V8 ....just my opinion...
Post #639645 25th Jul 2017 3:59pm
The Fox

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Its not so much a performance thing, more a durability concern.

I'd imagine even with a re-map the car won't pass emissions tests for MOTs? A problem I was hoping to get around with a semi-blanking-plate.
Post #639659 25th Jul 2017 5:12pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Mine is a 2.4 but I think the egr system is much the same on your 2.2. I had a problem with the egr ( 70mph to limp mode in lane 3 of the M6) did alot of research, found it needed to be disabled electronicaly. Pumping dirty air back into the engine cannot be good for it. More research led me to B.A.S. Bought the remote remap tool with an egr patch. All good so added a remap all very good transformed performance, smoothness, drivability to the extent that 3000 mile trips are not a problem. Passed MOT with remap in place and egr deleted. You can switch to original map at any time. Plus you get a fault code reader and reset with live readouts as good if not better than £100 - £200 stand alone readers which makes the BAS egr delete a bit of a bargain even if you don't add a remap
Post #639688 25th Jul 2017 6:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The Fox wrote:
I'd imagine even with a re-map the car won't pass emissions tests for MOTs? A problem I was hoping to get around with a semi-blanking-plate.

It won't make a jot of difference to the MOT as the MOT doesn't test for what the EGR valve is designed to do, which is reduce NOX. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #639697 25th Jul 2017 7:24pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
a 2.2 with a remap and the EGR set to closed will still pass the MOT just the same as one without. Wink
Post #639748 25th Jul 2017 10:02pm
zsd-puma

There isn't actually an "emissions test" for Diesel MOT's in the same way there is a gas check for Petrol engines, it's a smoke test. The device they use simply measures the amount of soot in the exhaust gases, you might actually find the engine has a slightly reduced amount of soot in the exhaust with the EGR blanked off as the engine will be running more efficiently.

A faulty EGR wont cause an MOT failure, but the engine management light illuminated on the dash will.
Post #639773 25th Jul 2017 11:46pm
hornet

Re: PUMA 2.2 EGR Blanking - Flogging a Dead Horse
The Fox wrote:
I've read so much about 2.2 EGR blanking experiences my eyes hurt.
[..]
If I did bite the bullet and fit one to find out for myself, what's the procedure for fixing the EML (if) it comes on.

Recirculation of exhausts brings down combustion-temperature and lowers oxygen. Made for reducing thermal NOx-Emissions.
You have to take a note of that when considering blanking the EGR without doing any mods to the map...

But I totally agree that getting rid of it is the best thing you could do!
Post #639816 26th Jul 2017 10:17am
Ruan

South Africa 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Hey guys, I have had a sticky EGR valve on my 2013 Puma. So one day I waited until I heard the chug chug sound when it supposed to self clean, unplugged it and sealed off the connectors with tape.

I have had no EML lights, no fault codes and zero issues with limp mode. I have noticed a puff of blackish smoke on startup but other than that... nothing. When I pluck up the courage I will remove the EGR all together and blank off the pipe.

I did this mainly because of the way the coolant runs through a cooler behind the head which the exhaust gasses pass through and significantly increases the temps on my Madman read out. I had the Defender remapped and installed a larger inter-cooler, yet my coolant temps would run around 100 deg.

After disconnecting the EGR I rarely go over 91 deg.
Post #641222 1st Aug 2017 7:57pm
Jas Ardis

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Auto Stornoway Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
To reset the EML you'll either need to plug in a diagnostic tool and clear the fault (which will last a few drive cycles before it comes on again)

Or you can remove the blanking plate and then it will clear its self after a few drive cycles.

Basically don't bother. If you want to get rid of the EGR, get a software patch from Bell Auto Services and then just blank it off fully. Will cost about �200 or if you get a remap it's included in the cost of the remap.

I just asked the BAS guys what options I had for my 12 reg 2.2 and they recommended a BAS2 RRC that comes in at £834 Shocked !!
Am I missing something?
Post #776263 5th Jun 2019 11:42am
zsd-puma

You're paying for the diagnostic tool (about £400 for an IID tool), the RRC tool is just a rebranded IID tool.

Then the remap its self is about £400, if you only bought an EGR delete then the delete is about £200 on its own.

Bear in mind you'll have a diagnostic tool to keep and use for diagnostic and configuration purposes. I sold my IID tool a couple of months ago (I've sold my Defender so didn't need it anymore), I got about £320 for the IID tool, so I didn't lose much on it.
Post #776286 5th Jun 2019 4:01pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Jas Ardis wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:

Basically don't bother. If you want to get rid of the EGR, get a software patch from Bell Auto Services and then just blank it off fully. Will cost about �200 or if you get a remap it's included in the cost of the remap.

I just asked the BAS guys what options I had for my 12 reg 2.2 and they recommended a BAS2 RRC that comes in at £834 Shocked !!
Am I missing something?

If you don't need the remote tool then just get an EGR blank/remap. Plenty of options out there.
Post #776305 5th Jun 2019 5:49pm
Jas Ardis

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Auto Stornoway Grey
EGR
Many thanks, ZSD-PUMA! Thumbs Up That makes sense. Now all I have to do is decide whether to go for the remap or just ditch the EGR. I can see the benefits of scale.
Appreciate your input! Very Happy
Post #776307 5th Jun 2019 5:56pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Zed wrote:
If you don't need the remote tool then just get an EGR blank/remap. Plenty of options out there.

If you made the EGR removal only, the amount of oxygene would rise what caused a faulty ratio O2 / diesel.

As a result the combustion temperature would rise.

Consequently it would make sense, if you readjusted the amount of diesel in order to arrive at the right ratio.

But that's just my understanding of perfection. Nothing too important though.
Post #776318 5th Jun 2019 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1