↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > ..Runaway Defender..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
The issue of oil dilution with fuel is more commonly down to the DPF regen operation than any kind of injector malfunction, and is the reason that all (or nearly all?) vehicles with DPFs have an Oil Service light.

As I understand it, the regen cycle can be initiated in two ways. The 'best' method, and unfortunately the more expensive method, is to have a separate injector that injects fuel directly into the DPF when regen is needed. The fuel ignites, the soot particles are incinerated and the combustion byproducts shoot out of the exhaust, and everything is good. No enigne damage occurs (I am not sure about environmental damage, but presumably someone has decided that incinerated soot is OK whilst unincinerated soot is bad).

The cheap and hence almost universal method, however, works differently. The principle of dosing the DPF with fuel to burn the soot is the same, but the fuel gets there in a very different way. In this method, the ECM is programmed to inject a second dose of fuel into each cylinder during the exhaust stroke of the engine. Since there is no compression on this stroke, the fuel does not ignite and is carried by the exhaust gas from the cylinder to the DPF (or usually combined DPF/Cat) where is is subsequently ignited. Clearly this onlt takes place for a short period every now and then when the DPF regen is needed, but the potential consequences are pretty readily apparent - unburnt fuel is intentionally injected into a cylinder where it will not ignite, and it is inevitable that not all this fuel will be swept up by the exhaust gas and cleared from the cylinder. The residual fuel is then present in the cylinder for another full stroke before (hopefully) being burned off in the next ingition event, and during this time some will migrate past the rings into the sump. In time, especially on vehicles which do predominantly short journeys and regen more frequently, and vehicles with high mileages with more bore wear, this will lead to the sump filling with fuel.

As an aside, injector spray patterns are very highly developed and optimised to cause the flame front to travel through the cylinder in a particular way, both to maximise the amount of fuel combusted (and reduce emissions) and prevent diesel knock, there's a whole science to this. Injectors however can only spray one pattern, and I have little doubt that the pattern to optimise combustion is not the pattern you'd use to optimise the atomisation of fuel in the flow of exhaust gas out of the cylinder for a DPF regen.

This is one of the reasons - indeed possibly the most significant reason - why I would still buy a 2.4 rather than a 2.2 any day of the week!

Interesting to read Ford are now issuing a recall to change this feature on some models:

"DRIVERS of this popular car are being urged to return their motors to an authorised dealer to have important work carried out on their vehicles. The work is being done to certain Ford models to apply a new update which is said to improve oil life.

Ford has already written to customers of the affected vehicles warning of an oil dilution service which drivers can claim for free. The update will update the powertrain control module calibration which they claim will improve oil life and offer a clearer oil monitoring messaging service for the vehicle. The car company says this will help drivers living around inner-city locations who often have high idle times and stop regularly. Ford says driving in this manner will often lead to more regular oil changes but the new technology will improve how long oil can last during each cycle.

In a document to consumers seen by Express.co.uk, Ford claims urgent action is required and customers need to phone a dealer so that important work can be carried out.

They say the update can be applied within just 60 minutes and would be provided at no extra cost to motorists.

In the letter, Ford says: “Your vehicle is fitted with technology that reduces oxides of nitrogen emissions from the engine. During this emission control, a small amount of fuel mixes with the engine oil and the oil is then diluted.”

“Your vehicle predicts the level of oil dilution using complex algorithms. When an oil change is required drivers will be informed by messages shown in the Instrument Cluster.

“In some driving environments, where the drive cycle is inner city, start/stop, frequently loaded, high idle times or town, more regular oil changes will be required.

Ford engineers have developed a software update to include an updated powertrain control module calibration to improve oil life for any given drive cycle and clearer Intelligent Oil Life Monitoring (IOLM) messaging in the vehicle’s cluster.”

Ford says the letter sent to customers must be brought in to the dealer for any work to be done on their cars.

The company also says it is committed to providing a long-term technical solution and customers can seek assistance if a car does not match advertised standards.

The letter added: “If your vehicles oil life does or achieve over two-thirds its published recommended service interval, please contact your local authorised Ford dealer to seek assistance."

A Ford owners forum revealed drivers of Ford Transit vans with a 2.0-litre EcoBlue engine had received correspondence about the fault."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/...l-dilution
Post #796766 5th Oct 2019 6:13am
dorsetsmith

Ford admitting that they made cock up and fixing it free Shocked
Post #796768 5th Oct 2019 6:39am
Tim in Scotland

I believe JLR is also carrying out a similar mod/update on Ingenium Diesels and SDv6 that have been suffering the oil dilution problem. Those who know about these things claim that all the update does is that it allows a greater amount of oil dilution by fuel before the service due message is flagged on the dash or the EML comes on........... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #796783 5th Oct 2019 9:16am
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
It happened to me when my 200tdi head gasket failed, causing the engine to run on its own oil. Luckily i was going slowly enough to be able to stop quickly, put it into 5th and release the clutch while standing on the foot brake. Thankfully, it stalled. I had a new head gasket fitted and it’s been fine since. Scary experience!! 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #796786 5th Oct 2019 10:00am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I believe JLR is also carrying out a similar mod/update on Ingenium Diesels and SDv6 that have been suffering the oil dilution problem. Those who know about these things claim that all the update does is that it allows a greater amount of oil dilution by fuel before the service due message is flagged on the dash or the EML comes on...........

Makes sense sadly... DPF regens cause oil dilution, oil dilution requires servicing. The only 2 options they have are reduce the amount of regens or increase service intervals!!
Post #796793 5th Oct 2019 11:57am
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi, thanks for explaination, at least I understand
blackwolf wrote:
The issue of oil dilution with fuel is more commonly down to the DPF regen operation than any kind of injector malfunction, and is the reason that all (or nearly all?) vehicles with DPFs have an Oil Service light.

As I understand it, the regen cycle can be initiated in two ways. The 'best' method, and unfortunately the more expensive method, is to have a separate injector that injects fuel directly into the DPF when regen is needed. The fuel ignites, the soot particles are incinerated and the combustion byproducts shoot out of the exhaust, and everything is good. No enigne damage occurs (I am not sure about environmental damage, but presumably someone has decided that incinerated soot is OK whilst unincinerated soot is bad).

The cheap and hence almost universal method, however, works differently. The principle of dosing the DPF with fuel to burn the soot is the same, but the fuel gets there in a very different way. In this method, the ECM is programmed to inject a second dose of fuel into each cylinder during the exhaust stroke of the engine. Since there is no compression on this stroke, the fuel does not ignite and is carried by the exhaust gas from the cylinder to the DPF (or usually combined DPF/Cat) where is is subsequently ignited. Clearly this onlt takes place for a short period every now and then when the DPF regen is needed, but the potential consequences are pretty readily apparent - unburnt fuel is intentionally injected into a cylinder where it will not ignite, and it is inevitable that not all this fuel will be swept up by the exhaust gas and cleared from the cylinder. The residual fuel is then present in the cylinder for another full stroke before (hopefully) being burned off in the next ingition event, and during this time some will migrate past the rings into the sump. In time, especially on vehicles which do predominantly short journeys and regen more frequently, and vehicles with high mileages with more bore wear, this will lead to the sump filling with fuel.

As an aside, injector spray patterns are very highly developed and optimised to cause the flame front to travel through the cylinder in a particular way, both to maximise the amount of fuel combusted (and reduce emissions) and prevent diesel knock, there's a whole science to this. Injectors however can only spray one pattern, and I have little doubt that the pattern to optimise combustion is not the pattern you'd use to optimise the atomisation of fuel in the flow of exhaust gas out of the cylinder for a DPF regen.

This is one of the reasons - indeed possibly the most significant reason - why I would still buy a 2.4 rather than a 2.2 any day of the week!
 current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #796878 6th Oct 2019 5:57am
Gilloverland

United Kingdom 
co2 fire extinguisher would probably be best to stop a runaway engine
Post #796880 6th Oct 2019 7:19am
Post Reply  Back to top