↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > First Post - 1st Defender Ordered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martyn

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Keswick Green
First Post - 1st Defender Ordered
Well, after quite a few years wanting a defender, many months of brochure and accesories perving I've finally taken the plunge and yesterday ordered a 110 Double Cab XS in zermat silver though LR Reading. Racked up a hell of a list of options and had to cut them back to settle with a tow ball, drop plate and electrics and dealer fitted silver chequer plate and front/rear hinged lamp guards. Was a toss between silver and stornoway grey, but settled with silver as it always looks pristine after a few years and hides those scratches!

A bit of a side ways move really, having a history of owning often impractical hot hatches! (I work in construction). Kinda going into this with a view to keeping it until it drops to bits and runs no more, so likely to be my first and last given the project to replace Defender all together.

Went though a phase of eying up the l200 but I think whilst the Japs have the edge on short term quality they just en't built to do the service the Defender is built for and residual values are not as good.

So.... here's to the next 4.5 months of agonising pain (eta early June) until it comes and a cracking time on here. In the Midlands nr Stourbridge if there are any locals on here.
Post #58352 10th Feb 2011 8:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
93 readers and not one response Shocked Confused

Welcome to the forum Martyn, it will be worth the wait Thumbs Up and is going to look the business in silver Wink
Post #58410 11th Feb 2011 9:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kljw

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Auto Santorini Black
well done, you will not regret it one bit. i go through periods of loving and then loving even more my SVX, and when i feel like i am not loving it so much, i get it cleaned prffesionally, and buy some additional bits, then i love it even more.

the wife thinks i am a little strange at times. Cheers
keith
puer claudius
Post #58413 11th Feb 2011 10:00am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Welcome to the forum Martyn. Thumbs Up

Look on the positive side of waiting 4 months...... A bit of time to save up for some more goodies for her Mr. Green Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #58421 11th Feb 2011 10:56am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Martyn
at least you're not far to take it back to the main main dealer !! Whistle

Welcome to the forum - ask as many questions as you like (but check all the Q's that Zagato has asked first and see the responses... Smile tee hee!)
Join in the banter when the mood takes you!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #58444 11th Feb 2011 1:36pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Congratulations Thumbs Up

Is the dealer Lancasters in Reading? If so you should be fine, they are the best main dealer I've dealt with - I bought my TD5 and first Puma from them and have also ordered a new 110 XS from them this week Cool John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #58446 11th Feb 2011 1:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TC

United Kingdom 
Welcome to the forum Martyn Thumbs Up
Post #58449 11th Feb 2011 1:51pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Welcome Martyn.

It'll feel like a very long time but at least you can save up for your first bolt-ons Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #58460 11th Feb 2011 2:32pm
Martyn

Hi JSG. Sure is Lancaster's. I sent out 12 enquiries all over the place and they were the most competitive and filled me with some confidence. A bit of a distance deal so I haven't and won't be stepping in the showroom. 110 is being delivered to my house on a transporter.

Had a LR Experience day in December for a whole day in Bala, North Wales. Remember all the snow we had? That really confirmed it for me. Impressive capability. A propper man's day, like a dog with 2 di*** all day long. Gotta few pics I'll post them up when I get back from work.
Post #58469 11th Feb 2011 2:55pm
Martyn

LR Experience Bala 2010. Was a 110 Station Wagon XS, 400 miles on the clock. They'd taken off the mud flaps and side runners to give extra ground clearance. Fitted a tow bar and winch. Crackin day.

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...1acd77.jpg

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...004705.jpg

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #58511 11th Feb 2011 6:37pm
party monkey

Hi Martyn,

Silly question, you don't have a picture that shows the number plate do you? Don't worry about posting it, I'm just interested to see if what my local dealer sales rep said was true (oxymoron'ish?) some time back

He commented to me when we bought SWMBO's disco and I told him I'd be in the market for a used Defender, to avoid the silver Station Wagons with a prefix beginning with 'A' on the registration as it was likely that they'd been used on the LRE days.

I thought he was talking b*llocks at the time, but forgot to double check it.... Your pics just reminded me....

Dealer was Stratstone in Aylesbury.

Cheers Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #58579 12th Feb 2011 9:14am
Martyn

hi parts monkey. Just had a look at the other pics and I don't have one which captures the number plate. If it's any coincidence, the instructor told me they purchase (yes they ent free!) their vehicles from LR and after 6 months they give them back and get another. They usually get silver as it looks clean when its dirtys and maintains a better appearance when scratched to hell. He said they get a major overhaul at their plant and then are sold on the forecourt BUT the dealership was obliged to tell you that the vehicle if you were interested in buying it was an ex Experience vehicle as its 6 month life was "very stressfull". I was in Bedford a few weekends ago and popped into a dealers there. They had several Defenders outside which I made a V-line for and a silver Freelander. As soon as the sales guy clocked me looking at this Freelander, he was honest enough to come over and say "sir, I must advise you this vehicle is an ex LE Experience vehicle from Eastnor Castle".

The Range Rover sport they had at Bala was white not silver and if my memory serves me their Freelander wasn't silver either.
Post #58609 12th Feb 2011 11:57am
party monkey

Thanks Martyn,

It's encouraging to see that the dealers are advising people and it's policy to do so. Sure the vehicles are fine, it's just important to be aware of the all the facts from the outset.

Cheers,

Jon Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #58618 12th Feb 2011 1:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1