↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 3 week gear list (morocco only)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
3 week gear list (morocco only)
As requested. We're all different with different requirements. This works for us (a couple) for a desert trip. It's easy to get water in Morocco plus there are wells you can use anyway even in the middle of the desert, but i d use a filter for those.

This is pretty much all we take unless I've missed anything out. Will edit later if I have (and I remember Laughing ). I wouldnt say I am by any means any kind of expert, its just based on experience and a lifetime of camping.

camping gear

Maggiolina safari
pillows
duvet (4.5 tog)
2 sheets
wool blanket
roll top waterproof/dust proof bag for shoes when in tent
headtorches plus spare batts
hang up battery light for tent only plus spare batts.

cooking / camp

coleman twin burner dual fuel stove (doesnt run well on unleaded, despite what coleman advertise)
spare injector for stove
5 litres of Aspen 4T (fuel for stove)
2 dinner plates (coated tin)
2 bowls
2 thermal mugs
2 plastic glasses
cutlery for eating
long cooks knife
short cooks knife
Zebra billy cans, one large one medium
2 chopping boards
Jetboil with large gas canister (small ones rubbish for daily use over 3 weeks)
bottle opener
small non-stick frying pan
tea towel
hand towel
collapsible washing up bowl (lifeventure)
big box of baby wipes
big bottle of alcohol gel (can also be used to light fires)
coffee percolator
spoons
small foldaway table with height adjustable legs
camp chairs
tarp (better than an awning in my opinion, a lot more versatile)
poles for tarp
fire stick
3 litre bottle of robinsons cordial
20L water jerry can plus syphon pump
solar shower
roll of rubbish bags
water filter bottle
small nomad flat pack stove (used for open fires - keeps it off the ground, small but hot fire)
small forest axe
collapsible bow saw
50 M of para cord
disposable lighters
leatherman

Car

Fridge - a waeco
appropriate maps / guides
GPS
first aid kit (big and always getting bigger - country(s) appropriate)
recovery gear inc tow straps, bow shackles etc
small shovel with pointed end
trowel
loo roll (see trowel above Laughing )
tyre pressure gauge (analogue)
inner tube
hi-lift jack
bottle jack
spare belt, fuel filters, air filter
fuses
ground tarp (for lying on whilst under the vehicle)
WD40
socket set
spanner set
torx set
fuel syphon pipe
jiggle syphon
toolkit (in screwdrivers, pry bars, hammer etc etc)
spare bulbs
high vis vests, triangles etc
compressor
tyre repair kit
jerry cans
fluids
CB and spare mic, spare aerial, spare fuses
rear detachable worklight
2 pairs of sunglasses, one v dark, one normal. both wraparound.

clothes (details of just me, but wife will take same size of bag) - one 20 litre waterproof/sandproof bag with

2 pairs of trousers, one light one heavier
2 shirts, one t-shirt
1 fleece
underwear/socks
one pair shoes one pair boots, one pair flip flops
one pair shorts
waterproof jacket
hats for sun/rain
washbag
Ipod
books

Docs

passports
Insurance docs
driving licences
V5
(plus 3 photocopies of each)
photocopies of bank cards and credit cards, front and back

misc

insect repellent
sun cream

biggest biggest tip I could give anyone who either isnt used to camping, or not done a trip like that before is make sure you know where all your gear is all the time, as in exactly what box your this or your that is in. makes for a much more pleasant time. Logic goes a long way with this one. and sounds stupid but everytime you use something, but it back in exactly the same place you got it from. Oh, and dont take too much stuff! Easy to do but you'll regret it.
Post #59136 14th Feb 2011 10:24pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Also handy to take the following Docs

Certificate of Personal Travel Insurance
Vaccination records
Blood group of each person
International Motor Insurance Card ( Greencard )
Moroccan TVIP Form here the bottom of this page here tells you how to fill it in. Hang on those links have changed a bit Twisted Evil got to go now will sort this later Thumbs Up
Certificate of Personal Travel Insurance

If you are in a group make a list of the vehicles, ie make, type, colour, reg numbers also list the names of the occupants of each vehicle along with passport numbers. This will get you brownie points at the check points (Army and Police) and save loads of time. Make a few copy's of this doc to hand over at the check points.

In the North of Morocco you wont see many check points, however if you start going South below Zagora towards the Algerian border you may come across a few each day. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #59174 15th Feb 2011 9:51am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I also forgot that if you fax border control before you go with your full details inc all car details, reg numbers etc, and a full itinerary of where you're going, they like that and it makes life easier and faster. That way the army will know your route and when you get to a checkpoint it won't be a surprise to them. They will be monitoring you anyway if you get anywhere near the algerian border so when you reach a checkpoint they wont be surprised. At those checkpoints, a packet of marlboro lights and a beer for the soldier who approaches you goes a very long way to them letting you straight through without hold up
Post #59181 15th Feb 2011 11:01am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Bow down Bow down To you both Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #59184 15th Feb 2011 11:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is a few years since I have been there.

On crossing the border it used to be the case that it was advisable to remove/hide CB radios.

Am not sure of the current situation.

As in most cases local information is best. There is a Land Rover club based in Esteponea and Kevin runs a 4x4 garage (Tuggys) just outside Gibralter. I understand he has just gone to Morocco for a short jaunt.

Always try to get as local and up to date information as possible as situations can change rapidly. That applies to all countries

Brendan
Post #59187 15th Feb 2011 11:20am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
It is a few years since I have been there.

On crossing the border it used to be the case that it was advisable to remove/hide CB radios.

Am not sure of the current situation.

As in most cases local information is best. There is a Land Rover club based in Esteponea and Kevin runs a 4x4 garage (Tuggys) just outside Gibralter. I understand he has just gone to Morocco for a short jaunt.

Always try to get as local and up to date information as possible as situations can change rapidly. That applies to all countries

Brendan

still is Thumbs Up definitely take aerial off and hide CB.
Post #59192 15th Feb 2011 11:34am
jake

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
G'day,

Great list, we also do the same for our extended trips in the high country or outback.

One of the most important items on our list is a very extensive remote area first aid kit.
I also carry a can of contact cleaner. Find this very usefull and it drys straight away.

Jake
10 Defender 110 and Tvan
Melbourne Australia
Post #59207 15th Feb 2011 1:14pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
First aid kits is an interesting one. I found that ones you can buy are inadequate by a long way. Perhaps its a subject for a new thread?
Post #59210 15th Feb 2011 1:18pm
TACK

good lists,

I take items which have multiple uses, I would also add some cable ties, para cord and some good quality cotton tape (quality masking tape) which is good for repairs to both material items and the vehicle such as damaged pipes. The above is also useful if you want to tie up and gag the person you wished you had not invited Rolling with laughter The spade for burying them has already been mentioned Thumbs Up
Post #59212 15th Feb 2011 1:36pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
para cord is on there tack Thumbs Up

i forgot to put gaffa tape and also didnt bother putting things like towels, eco friendly washing liquid etc

in morocco you can get clothes washed at any village if youre friendly (cost minimal). also any auberge will do it too, though i wouldnt give them stuff which is too sensitive to temperature, ie dont try to say "you must wash this at 30 degrees in tech wash then tumble dry it with the fur of an alpaca to make it nice for me Laughing

Also count and note the items you give, as if there are a few of you the washing is likely to come back in one big bag, and if they split it, the split will most likely be wrong. When it comes back to you check it right away, do not assume that all will be back, or that you wont have other peoples socks in your bag etc
Post #59213 15th Feb 2011 1:42pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
BigMike wrote:
That way the army will know your route and when you get to a checkpoint it won't be a surprise to them. They will be monitoring you anyway if you get anywhere near the algerian border so when you reach a checkpoint they wont be surprised. At those checkpoints, a packet of marlboro lights and a beer for the soldier who approaches you goes a very long way to them letting you straight through without hold up

Dont talk to me about Moroccan Soldiers Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Here is a snippet from our trip last year.

AndrewS wrote:
DSL wrote:
Gareth wrote:
army checkpoint at the edge of the piste, which we had passed through some hours before (Andrew S can tell tbat story Rolling with laughter )

We wait patiently!!! Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

This story can only be told in person, as it requires play acting to appreciate the full horror of what happened to me. However I will give you a few pointers.
It involves
A huge Moroccan squaddy wearing a string vest Shocked
Said squaddy insisting that he kisses everyone as its custom. Well it is on his check point Rolling Eyes Shocked
A lonely 2km drive to an oasis and back TF (so 4km in total) with said squaddy Big Cry
Some figs apparently "they are good for MAN" Thrust out body parts as required Big Cry
The offer to share a nice cool shower from said squaddy Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Big Cry
The offer of a nice comfy bed Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
Add a few back slaps and shoulder squeezing and we are just about there Shocked

In all fairness he did say that the wind was going to be strong (thrust thrust as required) that night and we should take shelter, however we decided to push on and politely and refused his offer. That night the sand storm hit us big time. Even though it did it was not a big problem and would certainly choose the roughness of the storm as opposed to the roughness of a huge Moroccan squaddy any night.
 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #59221 15th Feb 2011 2:38pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

"..wearing a string vest" Rolling with laughter
Post #59222 15th Feb 2011 2:47pm
fordy103

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
just adding to this, would it be adviseable to have a winch cover? or would the dust not affect it that much?

also, on the subject of tents, looking at buying a normal ground tent that will be used for Morocco this year ( hopefully), and maybe some trips to scotland. Needs to be 3-4 man size, was looking for some recommendations?

Price isnt really a big issue, just dont wanna get cold or wet haha!
Post #59292 15th Feb 2011 10:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Go lite Shangri La 5 with nest. Put it up in the garden, then take the pole out and let it drop. unpeg it, then fold it to the centre and put it in a suitable (large) box along with the pole and the pegs.

Means that your tent set up/take down time is about 2 minutes.

get some sand pegs. not the semi circle soft alloy ones for soft sand, but long, thick hard steel pegs. Normal pegs are a waste of time, dont use them. and take something to bang them in with.
Post #59294 15th Feb 2011 10:13pm
fordy103

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
very helpful as usual mike Smile
Post #59297 15th Feb 2011 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>