↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Alarm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Alarm
I know this question has been asked here several times, but I have never actually seen it answered. If any can give a definitive answer I would be grateful (PM if unwilling to post publicly please).

Is the battery backed alarm sounder a plug and play retrofit to a Puma or is additional work needed to fit one?

Also, does anyone know how I can tell if my Defender has a battery backed alarm but the backup battery is flat, or if it simply doesn't have one? Again, I would be grateful for an answer if anyone knows (this one might be better out of the public eye though).

Many thanks.
Post #58993 14th Feb 2011 1:27pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I'd like the answer to blackwolf's questions too!
Post #59014 14th Feb 2011 2:55pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i asked a similar question a while back, after lots of nod nods and winking, none of which i understood on here, so asked again what the issue was with them and bonnets etc, and a reply of 'wait till your bonnet is pinched then you will know' i gave up asking. so am still interested to know. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #59015 14th Feb 2011 3:01pm
Lorryman100

Did a search on microcat and found these:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So if you have a look and find the above unit No 8. you have the battery back up sounder. If its missing and all you have is No 10. then you dont have battery back up sounder fitted and I am assuming this is the vehicle horn. I cant find a reference to a wiring harness or adapter, so maybe worth a look for one when you check too see what sounder you have fitted. If you have the battery back up version would you be kind enough to note the wiring arrangement and send me a pm? If anyone has had this retrofitted could they pm me with what was included? The reason I am asking is so I can order one of these units as my Landy doesn't have it as standard. I will also be mounting it far away (in a much harder area to access), from its original location hence the need for the wiring arrangement.

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #59030 14th Feb 2011 4:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Thanks, Lorryman.

Unfortunately the microcat illustrations and details appear to be inconsistent with the electrical circuit diagrams and connector manuals!

On my vehicle the (factory fitted) sounder doesn't look like either of the items and isn't in the place shown in in the microcat pictures!

The electrical connector manual for the Puma shows two different connectors - one is for the standard sounder (a two pin connector YPC10070) and the other for the BBUS (a four pin connector YPC108930). In the connector manual neither of these is shown as conncting to either of the vehicle horns (of which there appear to be two, one on each side), which use two pin connectors YPC110600 (which is a completely different shape to the alarm sounder 2 pin connector).

In the connector manual, both alarm sounder connectors appear to be in the same place (which I don't want to reveal in a public forum though I suspect that most forum members know at least roughly where it is). Whether this means that you will always have one free connector is not clear.

I think that the item shown as No 10 in the microcat drawing actually is one of the two vehicle horns drawn in error and the non BBUS looks different.

The vehicle wiring diagram shows that there is always a seperate sounder - neither version uses the vehicle horns.

It is all very confusing and I am surprised that no-one has yet found the answer!
Post #59038 14th Feb 2011 5:03pm
Lorryman100

Cheers for that blackwolf Thumbs Up I think I will go to the dealers tomorrow after work and get this ordered and find out exactly what's involved. Will speak to the workshop foreman and the spark about the fitting (if there not to busy) and will pm you my findings. Thumbs Up
Post #59039 14th Feb 2011 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I'm planning on fitting mine...when I get back.

Although I have othe anti theft protection. Wink

Oh...and I understand it's plug and play...what the connector looks like and where it is. Mike
Post #59068 14th Feb 2011 7:26pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I asked this question to Hillendale. They were totally stumped. The part itself is 70 quid, but it seems like it needs a new wiring harness. Basically they had no idea and were supposed to talk to LR about it. This was 2 weeks ago and i've heard nothing. They did tell me that they have never retro fitted one.
Post #61759 2nd Mar 2011 1:26am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Im sure ive come across the connector - its wrapped up in the loom.

There isnt a second loom or any additional part listed anywhere - so im sure its plug and play

Looking at the ones fitted - its plug and play. i just need time to do it! Mike
Post #61850 2nd Mar 2011 7:49pm
blackwolf

I have found out that I did have a BBUS all along, it's just for some reason (as yet unexplained) it didn't sound when I disconnected the battery to test if I had one. It went off just fine when I unplugged the connector from the BBUS though!

The handbook and w/s manual both say that to disconnect the battery without the alarm sounding you must do it within 17 seconds of moving the key from position II to 0. I disconnected the battery about 10 minutes after this and the alarm didn't sound, so I don't know what's going on there. It does however sound if the battery it disconnected with the vehicle locked and the alarm set, which is the main thing.

Normal alarm activation will cause both the vehicle horns and the BBUS to sound.

Having had a good root around in all the likely locations, I cannot find any trace of a non-BBUS connector, so I am forced to the conclusion that on a non-BBUS vehicle the normal horns are used, and on the BBUS vehicle the BBUS sounds as well (if the battery's connected) or instead (if the battery's disconnected).

The wiring diagrams curiously are different between the two set-ups, since there is an alarm sounder relay (probably to activate the horns, but I need to check) shown on the non-BBUS version which is not present on the BBUS diagram, however, as confirmed by field-tests, the horns definitely sound on mine as well as the BBUS (my BBUS is also listed on the build spec, so was fitted in the factory not afterwards).

If anyone who knows that they have a non-BBUS vehicle wants to check whether the connetor for the BBUS is present or not, I can tell them where to find it, but I don't want to post this info on a public forum even though probably everyone already knows it! It should be possible to check for the connector without any dismantling once you know where to look.
Post #61962 3rd Mar 2011 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1