↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Steering kick
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LESVOSD110

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Steering kick
I have a strange steering kick problem on my Puma 110 since day one.On tarmack roads that have uneven patches,I have steering wobble.I can drive 100km and a certain patch will do it and repeats only on that patch.Hope this makes sence.I have checked alignment and the steering shock.All is fine.What else could be causing this.I no drifting to side or balance problem and braking is dead straight.My 21yr old 90, V8 still rides like it's on rails. Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #58491 11th Feb 2011 4:24pm
Lorryman100

Sounds like your steering damper. I replaced mine with a Old man OME steering damper as it is about 3 times the size of the OEM one. Works a treat with my wide tyres, when the old one came off (was on a year), it was very easy to move it in and out with little effort. The Old man one though took some effort to close it enough so it could be fitted.

HTH Brian.
Post #58569 12th Feb 2011 1:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LESVOSD110

The damper is firm.I will get a new one but shouldn't the standard one be fine with 235/85/16 factory fit tyres.My 90 with 255/85/16 does not do this.

Could it be swivel preload? Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #58572 12th Feb 2011 4:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is possible to get a similar effect if the damping in the front axle swivels (kingpins) is insufficient. This is the reason why in the early days a change was made from spring-loaded cones to Railko bushes in the front swivels.

My old 80" series 1 was a killer for this when I first bought it - if you hit a pothole with one front wheel the steering would oscillate so violently from side to side that you couldn't really stop it - a rapid application of heavy braking was essential. A rebuild with Railkos fixed it.

A simple initial check:- jack each front wheel in turn, put one hand at top and bottom of wheel and check for movement. Very slight movement in wheel bearing is not critical, but any movement of steering hub on axle is a problem. (Wheel bearing movement will also be felt rocking wheel from side to side, so if it is up and down only it's probably swivels).

More thorough check:- Jack from of vehicle and place securely on axle stands. Remove front wheels, disconnect drag link and tie rod so that hubs are disconnected from steering. Check (with a spring balance if possible) that swivel pins (king pins) are providing the correct resistance to turning.

This is the procedure for classic Landrovers and I haven't checked that it is still mentioned in the Puma manual. I woudl be surprised if it wasn't, since I don't think tha fron axle is any different to earlier models.
Post #58582 12th Feb 2011 9:26am
Lorryman100

LESVOSD110 wrote:

My 90 with 255/85/16 does not do this.

I always look for the easiest solution to a problem and as you have a 90 try swapping the dampers too see if that is the problem as it only involves removing 2 sets of 2x nuts. As I have a 110 I am assuming the 90 uses the same damper? The damper will feel solid in situ, but when removed you can feel how much resistance to movement there is between the two.
Post #58611 12th Feb 2011 12:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LESVOSD110

I have just checked pre-load on the hub and it's 650grams to get it moving.My 2006 defender manual gives it at 1.16kg-1.46kg once force is overcome to get it moving.Mines way below this.I have no play but could this be the cause.Thanks Blackwolf,great minds think alike. Bow down

There is a shim that I can see that can be removed.Should I give it a go?I do not now what the puma pre-load should be.Damper is good and stiff. Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #58614 12th Feb 2011 12:23pm
LESVOSD110

Guy's,I'm a paw-paw.I measured on the wrong end.Reading taken now from the track-rod end comes to 1.6kg.So I'm at a closed door again. Big Cry Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #58629 12th Feb 2011 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1