↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turbo Whizzzzz
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Turbo Whizzzzz
Bit of a weird one this. Need a little guidance just before I go on holiday with the truck.

Recently got a BAS remap for my 2.4, if I drive it hard I will get a weird noise that I am sure is turbo related because of the way it rises and falls when you rev. Only happens under hard load, mostly in 6th booting it (80ish mph), but I have had it happen in lower gears if I've got my foot down.

I've tried removing the tune and could still get the noise, although it was harder to get to reoccur, presumably because there is less boost, but again, 6th gear foot down I got the noise.

Now, bare with me whilst I try to describe the sound. Imagine you had the turbo spinning in front of you and with a tiewrap/cable tie you pushed the end into the spinning blades so it hit them and made a 'zeeeeeeeeeee'. The noise will continue for a few seconds allowing me to drop the clutch and witness the zeeeee changing with my revs but very quickly returns to normal.

Its obviously been really difficult to get the noise on a recording, so Confused

I would have thought this would be an issue with the turbo, but the fact that I can drive for weeks without the noise reoccurring just because I'm not driving hard confuses me. There must be something wrong though?

Off to the lake District tomorrow, so a little concerned, although if I stick to 60mph like I usually do, I should be fine, right?

Thanks for any advice. Thumbs Up
Post #728863 14th Sep 2018 7:53am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Loose or cracked heat shield over the turbo?
Post #728865 14th Sep 2018 8:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Probably either a leak from an intercooler hose or a leak between the exhaust manifold and head or manifold and turbo.

A common problem.
Post #728871 14th Sep 2018 8:42am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Have you got the radio on? Depending on what I've got plugged in to my radio I can get all sorts of exciting noises that change with engine revs.
Post #728886 14th Sep 2018 10:51am
BenB8man

I've taken off the little foil cover, so can't be that.
I'll check the radio, but it's a posh aftermarket one and the intermittent nature of the noise leads me away from this. I've had that sort of noise before though, think it was a slightly dodgy ground.
I was thinking about the blown gasket, been reading into it but no one has mentioned it being intermittent, everyone has said that once it goes it doesn't stop. Same with hoses. I'll have a poke around to check, but she pulls fine!
Post #728910 14th Sep 2018 12:36pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
+1 for the hoses. Once you get above a certain pressure, leaks that were once invisible and sealed will start to leak. Cover the hoses in washing up liquid and get someone to rev the engine while you look for bubbles.
Post #728922 14th Sep 2018 1:35pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Does it sound like a round-saw just as you’ve released your finger off the trigger and it’s slowing down? If so, I had it too, with many of the same answers from the forum. It’s now stopped, with three clear things having happened since. Catastrophic failure of the output shaft (now replaced); replaced clutch (at the same time), old clutch plate was almost flat; topped up coolant (EGR and limp mode came on, coolant down by three litres Whistle ). But if I worked it hard and then released I think I got exactly the sound you’re describing. Since those changes, zilch. Not one occasion. Any of that sound familiar? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #728933 14th Sep 2018 2:49pm
BenB8man

I'm about to have a proper pole around, so I'll add those to the list. Certain it's turbo related though, as I drop the clutch so o can hear the revs more. Also a fairly new clutch and I've put an Ashcroft shaft in too.
If I had the time I'd inspect the turbo, but I'm leaving in the morning!
Thanks for your help!
Post #728935 14th Sep 2018 2:59pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
I had a turbo noise that came in under harder acceleration. I thought it was quite cool...a bit of "fast n' furious" coolness in a defender ... Took it to the dealer to show it off ... One new replaced-under-warranty turbo later and it's back to regular defendering for me Rolling with laughter
Post #728941 14th Sep 2018 3:42pm
Tardis

Germany 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Could be as trivial as a defective gas hose between the head cover and air intake (green one below). I once forgot to reconnect mine to the air intake and could hear a sound when accelerating like a very remote turbo spinning up and down.

Post #728992 14th Sep 2018 8:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Gasket is most definitely intermittent in most cases.
Post #729007 14th Sep 2018 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1