↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Parking - I feel I need a moan.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Parking - I feel I need a moan.
I feel I need a little moan.

Yesterday my partner and I went for a day trip to Hunstanton, as its a little bit less touristy than Skegness (we are equidistant from both), and decided to take the 110 as it had been sat in a body shop for the last 3 weeks not moving.

I was really annoyed to find on arrival that not just one but all public car parks their have a height restriction of 2m. Because of the roof rack/tent on the 110 it is way over the 2m, but then when I got home it turns out that even the Disco 5 wouldn't have fit under the barrier because of its roof box.

I get that these locations have difficulties with travellers and "stealth wild campers" but with the height restriction at 2m that puts an unnecessary burden on people with taller vehicles which are just looking for a pleasant day out. The flip side of that is that plenty of people with hatchbacks have roof tents, and they can use all of the car parks just fine.

I searched all around and not a single public car park facilitated for larger vehicles. Luckily there is a Tesco fairly close by, and it doesn't have a height restriction, so it wasn't a wasted trip (we bought some stuff so as to not feel like we were taking the pee, and didnt exceed the max stay) - but it really got my hackles up.
Post #995186 5th Jun 2023 3:53pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
'Tis indeed a growing problem. My local tip has a sub 2m height restriction so I can't even go there anymore. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #995196 5th Jun 2023 4:21pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Same, I took the discovery there full of wood to get rid of. I was completely in my own world, oblivious to my surroundings and drove straight in... Luckily this was a larger frame with the sign hanging on chains so I managed to get in without damaging the Car/Top Box.
Post #995201 5th Jun 2023 4:47pm
gcc130

We have similar problems in our 110 Dormobile.
We regularly take the dog down to the Hengesbury/Bournemouth area for beach walks but most of the longer stay car parks have barriers and on road parking is limited to an hour, which isn’t really long enough 🙁
Post #995203 5th Jun 2023 4:51pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:
'Tis indeed a growing problem. My local tip has a sub 2m height restriction so I can't even go there anymore.

You mean you are allowed to take your Defender to the tip?!

Around here i need a permit book for the defender and another permit for a trailer. Took the trailer once behind the Defender with no rubbish in the Defender at all and they insisted on taking two of my permits off me!

No wonder there is so much fly tipping around here. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #995249 5th Jun 2023 7:19pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
With a go anywhere Defender, can’t you make your own entrance Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #995258 5th Jun 2023 8:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I have accepted over the years that my Defender won't fit in any car park with a height restriction due to the roof rack and amber beacons but it annoys me greatly when I can't fit my standard daily driver Discovery in a car park... Banging Head BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #995259 5th Jun 2023 8:11pm
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I wholeHEARTEDLY concur! I'd love to beef up my rig but it's standard height now, and living in a town, with towns all around me, I'm lucky that it can just about squeeze under most height restrictions.

I do have a second, 'normal' car if I'm going somewhere I think/know I won't squeeze under, but it's so frustrating... and it's just getting worse and worse as these height restriction barriers just keep on sprouting up. 2003 90 TD5 Hardtop
Post #995260 5th Jun 2023 8:17pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Live on the edge Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #995281 6th Jun 2023 5:46am
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Shocked BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #995282 6th Jun 2023 5:47am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Maybe get a heavier wife?
Post #995286 6th Jun 2023 7:09am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
So there was me, worried about creating this post in case I was being a "moaning minnie" (or mickey?) and it transpires we all feel the same.

It doesn't help that there are no end of youtubers that "stealth camp" therefore publicising the issue to the authorities.
Post #995315 6th Jun 2023 10:01am
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I got trapped in a Tesco the other day, on the way in 2.1 height restriction, but lo, all opened and chained back, tidy thinks I, must be so they can get their delivery vans in. I park and toddles off into the shop, grab an all day breakfast Sanger and jump back in, on the way down the one way exit route, aarrrgghhh! The bloody restriction is closed, I’ve now got a queue of impatient north Londoners behind me while I stop and try to figure out how to get out. I saw a trolley guy and called him, not sure what I expected….
Anyway after I got about 7 cars to back up I drove round the car park and out through the in gate!
At least the horn on the defender is louder than most other tin boxes!! “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #995384 6th Jun 2023 10:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm sure I have told this tale on here before, but many years ago I took a load of concrete rubble to what at the time was my local tip in the back of my 80" SI. I sailed in under the barrier without a thought and with plenty of clearance, unloaded, and then found that I no longer fitted under the barrier to escape.

Fortunately on and 80" ragtop it is only the work of a minute or so to remove the tilt and sticks, so escape was possible, but it amused the other tip-goers in their boring Euroboxes.

On another occasion I took my Disco2 into a covered carpark in Reading and found that the ventilation ducts had evidently been added after the height restriction was measured. I fitted under the barrier easily, but not under the mass of ducting which ran above the parking deck. It was not at all easy to find a way out, and I seem to remember having to use the entrance ramp to get back down to ground level. Fortunately it was very quiet at the time.

All parts of life's colourful adventures! Very Happy
Post #995402 7th Jun 2023 8:37am
NoLimits

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Havana
I have been known to ask passengers to stand on the back step to drop the back of my 110 USW low enough to get under barriers
Post #995414 7th Jun 2023 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>