↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Puma Double din kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Nadine90

Wales 1986 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Fuji White
Fair enough but I see so many that look awful as the cut line shows a gap.
Post #677581 10th Jan 2018 10:21pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I spent the morning finishing off the dash install.

I had to use a heat gun on the air vents behind the stereo, just enough to squish them in by 5mm. It then slotted all the way back. I also took a bit off the bottom of the clock with a file as it was fowling the top of the stereo unit.

In the end I just wired the reverse switch to the handbrack illuminator switch at the base of the handbrake as it was so close. After a little research though I could have grounded it anywhere and I wouldn’t have had to stop to use some functions. The world has gone potty with red tape !

It turns out in order to set the time you have to install the GPS receiver, seems a bit daft that this is the only way as I had no intention of using it for navigation.

I’ve temporarily put the Hazard switch in the blank for the headlight levels as the indicators won’t work without it connected up. When my carling swtiches arrive it will be relocated to an electric window blank.

All in all I’m really happy, the difference in sound quality is very noticeable. Carplay is great but dissappointed by the fact it only supporst a very restricted number of Native apps with the exception of Spotify. No google maps, waze of whatsapp.

If you’re planning on using Pioneers own “AppRadio” then you will need a seperate cable for your Iphone that converts HDMI to Lightning . I’ve ordered one as I can then use Waze navigation which is superb.

Here’s a pic of it in place.

Click image to enlarge
Post #677727 11th Jan 2018 6:22pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver

Click image to enlarge

The pioneer unit is a brilliant bit of kit, The Apple nav works well and it incorporates the spotify app onto the screen! 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #678665 15th Jan 2018 12:17pm
Bluericky

Have you got the “AppRadio” to work yet?
I’ve just ordered a social HDMI to lightning cable as I think that’s whats needed but the lack of instructions is incredible !

Agreed though, great bit of kit regardless
Post #678692 15th Jan 2018 1:56pm
Roy5695

I don't use the AppRadio as I have spotify and apple music so can't help there! sorry. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #678694 15th Jan 2018 1:59pm
Bluericky

Yes, likewise Spotify and Apple Music are great. AppRadio allows you to use other sat navs like Waze etc that’s why I wanted it. I don’t fancy having to take the fascia off again though to pop in the hdmi lead !
Post #678709 15th Jan 2018 4:52pm
Roy5695

according to the manual you need a HDMI cable, and an apple HDMI + Lightning digital AV connector. not too expensive and should see you right Thumbs Up 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #678740 15th Jan 2018 6:45pm
Bluericky

HDMI to Lightning adapter and HDMI cable installed today . Couldn’t get AppRadio to work with my iPhone at all.
Did some googling and it appears that since Sept 2017 there’s been a problem with compatibility between iOS 11 and AppRadio , as in it doesn’t work anymore. Pioneers advice is to downgrade to iOS 10 !!

So that was a waste of time buying the adapter , also Halfords etc should update their product info as it’s misleading until there’s a fix . You’d have thought 5 months would be enough time to iron out a bug.

CarPlay works great though so happy for the time being .
Post #680634 21st Jan 2018 10:35pm
Paul K

United States 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Alpine White

Click image to enlarge

Working on swapping all the stuff over from the single din to the double.

-What’s the best way to stick the heat control thing down on the back? I mean the bit that the light shines through to show fan speed, heat etc.

-Is there an air conditioning switch?

-There’s no hole for the hazard lights/4-way flashers. That switch is bigger than the rest. Is there another switch that will work?

Thanks,

Paul.
Post #680649 21st Jan 2018 11:00pm
Bluericky

To fit the film back on the new fascia I used some strategically placed super glue. You really don’t need much at all . 4 spots is enough.

Did your double din fascia come with a second panel for your homeless switches ? You’ll need to use that or relocate to Cubby box or similar.

I was fortunate as being a basic spec double cab I only had to rehome the hazard switch.

You will need to remove the heater vent metal bracket from behind the stereo and maybe even apply some heat to the vents themselves in order for your new system to fit . A bit of a faff but worth it !
Post #680653 21st Jan 2018 11:12pm
Paul K

Thanks! Does LR sell the film thing as its own part?

I did get the side-pod mounting thing, but would really like to keep all the switches on the fascia. Might have to relocate some of the other switches...
Post #680656 22nd Jan 2018 12:01am
Bluericky

Agreed , cutting into the dash wasn’t something I wanted to do either, you can always buy another fascia !

I’ve no idea where you can get the film. The old one will come off, I just used a small sharp screwdriver to prise the plastic lugs, be cautious not to scrape the film as that will be obvious once reinstalled .

MUD UK do the puma pod for switches. it mounts above the clock and you may be able to avoid any cutting that way .

I’ve also seen switches located on the Cubby box. It looks great if it’s done properly using Land Rover or calling switches
Post #680669 22nd Jan 2018 6:36am
Roy5695

I drilled the back of the heater control film attachment points. Its just melted plastic holding it on to drilled the tops off and it came off, hot glue gun stuck it back on nicely!

You can use a discover hazard switch which will fit in the normal switch holes but its not an easy swap! wiring and relays or something! i just bit the bullet and cut the dash!

Click image to enlarge

I did have to extend the hazard wiring though as the factory loom wasn't long enough to stretch across!

If i was to do it again i would have put the hazard switch in-between the cup holders in the cubby!

There is an aircon switch! is located on the bottom row in the middle between the heated seat switches! 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #680728 22nd Jan 2018 1:21pm
Paul K

Roy:

Discovery 1 or 2 hazard light switch?

Also, does anyone know what type & size the two screws are that hold the fascia onto the dash?

Who makes the silver double din piece? I went with ‘Piano black’ but am afrais I prefer the silver.

Thanks,

Paul.
Post #681603 25th Jan 2018 3:17pm
Roy5695

Discovery 2, but it’s not an easy swap.

I painted the facia myself, the one I got also us directional vents on the top. Which is nice. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #681629 25th Jan 2018 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>