↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Where is the Puma engine made?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Where is the Puma engine made?
Just wondering, hoping the answer won't be anywhere near China or India Shocked
Post #56783 4th Feb 2011 8:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Think it's dagenham where they make transit engines. I know they make tdv6 there. So although the profit goes to india the parts are made here.
Post #56790 4th Feb 2011 8:54pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Zagato, 210 posts since registering 3 weeks ago.. you certainly do your homework??? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #56792 4th Feb 2011 9:03pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
there is no way he has time to do his homework ! he must be on the site 24/7
Post #56796 4th Feb 2011 9:47pm
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
RobKeay wrote:
Think it's dagenham where they make transit engines. I know they make tdv6 there. So although the profit goes to india the parts are made here.

Doesn't some of the profit go to ford since they developed the engines when land rover was owned by ford? '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #56805 4th Feb 2011 10:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
RED-DOT wrote:
Zagato, 210 posts since registering 3 weeks ago.. you certainly do your homework???

Yes I AM ON IT! Always like to know all the ins and outs and get involved. Doing the research on cars, bikes, boats, stationary engines etc is the fun bit. I'm a fastidious, fussy old git that triple checks everything and wants to get it right first time. It pays off in the end.

Once I get the vehicle it won't stop either Rolling with laughter Is this part any good, who's got the best insurance, tyes, wheels, best snorkel, right down to the best hanging smelly thing Laughing Yes your going to get fed up to the teeth with me by then if you haven't already Twisted Evil

I look after my kids during the day so have sooooo much time to find out about it all Thumbs Up

After two months of research and gesticulating It is finally all systems go to get one - must be mad but I can can change things over the years if their are any particular problems which brings me onto my next question.

I hear of a few people changing their engines in a Puma, what is the next best option or what would people like in theirs that is practical and good? Would a Discovery engine go in one for instance?
Post #56850 5th Feb 2011 8:54am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Quote:
I hear of a few people changing their engines in a Puma, what is the next best option or what would people like in theirs that is practical and good? Would a Discovery engine go in one for instance?

Mate - you are a legend..... Mr. Green Haven't even got the truck yet and you're forward planning an engine swap Bow down

Can you come and run my life for me please ? Bow down Bow down

Only joshing of course..... Delighted that you're nearly ready to pull the trigger on the purchase. Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #56851 5th Feb 2011 9:17am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Could be back planning though and whacking in a 300Tdi to run on veg oil in twenty years time, wonder how long we will be allowed to run around at 28mpg. Oh I'm such a worryer, where are I my pills Laughing
Post #56853 5th Feb 2011 9:22am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Why buy a puma and change the engine thats just nonsense, if you want a 300tdi then go to Trekoverland who has a brand new in wrappers 300tdi sat on a Genuine Land Rover galvanised and painted chassis, with galvanised bulkhead, cappings etc even the pedals are galvanised. You can then have it built to your spec, he's just waiting for someone to come along and take it. I haven't heard personally of anyone buying a puma and taking out the engine to put in a 300tdi thats just plain daft. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #56855 5th Feb 2011 10:09am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
300Tdi in a new motor would be rather, erm, silly. You would have a new car you couldn't take into London. Actually, it wouldn't be a new car as you would have to register it according to the parts used. I think if you bult it all from parts wouldn't it be a Q reg too?

Zag - don't worry so about the Puma, in years to come there will be plenty of Transits for us to nick engines out of! Twisted Evil 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #56858 5th Feb 2011 10:14am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
lrdxb110 wrote:
RobKeay wrote:

Doesn't some of the profit go to ford since they developed the engines when land rover was owned by ford?

I doubt Fordt get anything from the deal, otherwise TATA would just develop one of their own engines and put that in it so profit for them goes up Smile

Glyn Sheep
Post #56861 5th Feb 2011 10:26am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
their actually made in a shed behind 25 Inkerman Terrace B26 8LJ by a husband and wife Cyril and Alma. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #56863 5th Feb 2011 10:31am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
willy eckerslike wrote:
Why buy a puma and change the engine thats just nonsense, .

Nuts!!!!

Zagato wrote:
Is this part any good, who's got the best insurance, tyes, wheels, best snorkel, right down to the best hanging smelly thing.

Loads and loads of threads already on here!

Zagato wrote:
I look after my kids during the day so have sooooo much time to find out about it all Thumbs Up

Not enough time to do a search or two it seems! Shocked

Zagato wrote:
Doing the research on cars, bikes, boats, stationary engines etc is the fun bit. I'm a fastidious, fussy old git that triple checks everything and wants to get it right first time. It pays off in the end.

Agree with you 100%!!! AFTER using the search facility you may be able to cut the checks down to double instead of triple! Thumbs Up

Zagato wrote:
which brings me onto my next question. Would a Discovery engine go in one for instance?

Yawn.....Been done already with a TDV6 donk....Do a search...pllleeeaaassse!!!! Thumbs Up

Zagato wrote:
Yes your going to get fed up to the teeth with me by then if you haven't already Twisted Evil

Not yet!!! But getting there! Confused Confused as to why you don't make more use of the search facility and frustrated a little that we've got to wait until the end of the year before you go out and buy one and the queries will then be pertaining an actual vehicle rather than a 'proposed' one! Each Defender has it's own characteristics and with everything you get good and bad! Doing research is an excellent idea to get a feel...But suggestions of potential engine changes at this stage???? Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #56865 5th Feb 2011 10:33am
spudfan

Ireland 
Zagato wrote:
Rolling with laughter Could be back planning though and whacking in a 300Tdi to run on veg oil in twenty years time, wonder how long we will be allowed to run around at 28mpg. Oh I'm such a worryer, where are I my pills Laughing

How long will we be able to afford to drive around at 28 mpg? Very Happy 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #56893 5th Feb 2011 1:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
spudfan wrote:
Zagato wrote:

How long will we be able to afford to drive around at 28 mpg? Very Happy

Exactly my point before everyone bundles on Whistle As said going with a Puma but in twenty years time, nobody knows whats going to happen, could whack in a 300 TDi to run on veg, possible problem solved. I would do anything before I turned it into a milk float....
Post #56908 5th Feb 2011 2:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>