Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Advice on 'lifting' the vehicle by 2"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
fekete wrote:
standard Censored LR put on

The Heavy Duty set up supplied with the early XS models is great in my opinion with no roll or wallow in extreme driving conditions and as such do not deem it as Censored ! I am more than happy with the 'standard Censored ' I have and as such would probably go for shorter turrets on the front and spacers on the rear retaining original springs and shocks! If a job's worth doing, in my book do it right! I don't want repurcussions potentially expensive ones later on! There are obviously many different theories and I don't wish to 'stick my head in the sand' (see below) and end up with a big bill later just to save money at the onset! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #56163 2nd Feb 2011 9:50am
leeds

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
Just don't call him Glyn Thumbs Up

Embarassed Embarassed Banging Head Banging Head

I will do my lines

Sorry Gwyn for calling you Glyn Razz

What is one little letter between friends? Don't go down that road any further!!!

Brendan
Post #56166 2nd Feb 2011 10:07am
discocuzzy

England 
Ive got standard shocks and fitted OME springs, lifted the vehicle by approx 2" and never had an issue, if you have HD shocks you probably have similar results.
If your going for a further lift on top of that i would look into it carefully as suggested above, TBH most of us just do the odd bit of laning/Expedition stuff so i only fitted the springs due to a heavy winch bumper/roof rack/roof tent.
Unless your building a challenge truck i wouldnt bother. You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #56179 2nd Feb 2011 10:53am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Bear in mind that the distance between the axle top and bump stop are different between 90-110 and 130. Being the 130" with the most followed by 90".

On a 110" the front propshaft has 6º rake making a work angle of 12º between the prop and Tcase (which is a lot for a std UJ) and about 6º working agle respect to the front diff. Add also those 3º between the diff and Tcase flanges as the former stands to the right compared to the Tcase (reason for out-of-phase yokes at 30º).

Defenetly you can not use a std propshaft on a lifted 110". Anyway, I´m still not sure how come the axle-bumstop distance is so different between 90-110 and 130s, having all the same bumpstop part number.

So, whatever lift the castor angle will change and most important the diff-prop angle also. For the moment I have 0º castor ( over 3º std) and no probs with steering. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later

Last edited by MK on 2nd Feb 2011 1:17pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #56181 2nd Feb 2011 10:57am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
K9F wrote:
fekete wrote:
standard Censored LR put on

The Heavy Duty set up supplied with the early XS models is great in my opinion with no roll or wallow in extreme driving conditions and as such do not deem it as Censored ! I am more than happy with the 'standard Censored ' I have and as such would probably go for shorter turrets on the front and spacers on the rear retaining original springs and shocks! If a job's worth doing, in my book do it right! I don't want repurcussions potentially expensive ones later on! There are obviously many different theories and I don't wish to 'stick my head in the sand' (see below) and end up with a big bill later just to save money at the onset! Thumbs Up

obviously you haven't tried any other set up......Shocks / springs.....if you had you would say the same ?
Also i never put my head in the sand i sort advice of gwyn Lewis he spent a good hour with me going through everything Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #56183 2nd Feb 2011 11:00am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
K9, why do you want a lift?
Post #56188 2nd Feb 2011 11:30am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Karl, here - open turrets to save messing about in future

Click image to enlarge

and cranked arms

Click image to enlarge
Post #56197 2nd Feb 2011 12:26pm
K9F

fekete wrote:
obviously you haven't tried any other set up......Shocks / springs.....if you had you would say the same ?
Also i never put my head in the sand i sort advice of gwyn Lewis he spent a good hour with me going through everything Whistle

As mentioned I don't need to try any others as I am happy with the original heavy duties, the vehicle drives like it's on rails and well you know it! The lift is a desirable addition not a necessity and the decision has been made to 'place it on the backburner' until I have sufficient funds to do the job 100%, dependant on advice given here! Of which there has been lots! Many people run on standard set ups and a 'throwaway comment' like they're Censored is unwarranted! I am sure many people are happy with the functionality and performance of their standard ones dependant of course how and where they drive! Gwyn Lewis may be the proverbial oracle but gathering information and getting it right is the prudent thing to do! You are obviously happy with your set up and I am genuinely pleased for you! The castor angle however is something worth considering I feel personally! For the sake of an extra couple of hundred quid, the angle and stance of the vehicle would remain the same, possibly preventing expensive recriminations in the future! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #56204 2nd Feb 2011 1:03pm
fekete

It was not a throwaway comment' as you put it... as said until you have tried a different set of springs and decent shocks how can you compare....and if you did put a decent set of shocks on i think you would eat your words.... standard shocks are Censored Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #56206 2nd Feb 2011 1:24pm
K9F

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Standard heavy duty if you don't mind!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #56207 2nd Feb 2011 1:25pm
fekete

STILL Censored Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
That's why every one changes them as soon as they can ? NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 2nd Feb 2011 1:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #56208 2nd Feb 2011 1:28pm
fekete

BigMike wrote:
Karl, here - open turrets to save messing about in future

Click image to enlarge

and cranked arms

Click image to enlarge

Cheers Mike Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #56209 2nd Feb 2011 1:30pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I don't think the standard shocks are bad to be honest. I just found them a bit soft for what I do with the truck and the kind of ride I wanted. I think a lot of people are quick to change them because others do rather than a real need to change them. That's not aimed at anyone here by the way - let's face ir, we use thus forum because we are enthusiasts and want the right set up for us as individuals.

There is a difference between getting lift as a side effect of stiff springs, and simply "wanting a lift". If the former then it depends on what you do with your truck, and if the latter, then that's cool but for me, I would question why a lift is something actually wanted when it can lead to other issues which the warranty would be unlikely to cover in the event of component failure. If it's for greater ground clearance then taller tyres are needed as well, and unless its for competition reasons, I can't quite get my head around why a lift is actually something desirable as a lift for the sake of it, but we all want different things grom our trucks.
Post #56211 2nd Feb 2011 1:55pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
fekete wrote:
3" and no problems Thumbs Up

is that what your misses says Karl Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #56216 2nd Feb 2011 3:12pm
fekete

Thats on a good day Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #56217 2nd Feb 2011 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>