↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > Flapper EFI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Flapper EFI
Thinking about swapping my carbs for flapper injection depending on whether my self rebuilt carburettors actually work. I was thinking flapper injection because it's supposedly pretty simple to wire up compared to hotwire. I heard mixed experiences with flapper injection so anyone got any personal experiences with it? 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #598286 1st Feb 2017 3:52pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hotwire is not so difficult -

I have used both flapper and hotwire injection systems in the past to replace carbs and don't remember any problems specific to either. The flapper system did seem to be slightly less reliable though. IIRC the hotwire system needs a link or resistor in the loom so it does not expect the signal from a lambda sensor.
This was about 15 years ago so the exact details are now a bit fuzzy.
Post #598326 1st Feb 2017 6:36pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
As said above Hotwire is slightly more reliable being a 'newer' system and in my experience works fine having done an engine swap of slotting a 3.9 into an older 90 it was a simple yet through install.

it is 4 wires namely to wire in the feeds and an earth, and has been well documented on the net of which colour is which an orange, White and purple is fuel pump etc etc..

If you do go EFI it is the funny things that throw you like air filter location, heater pipes, ECU location and doing a nice job of integrating the two looms. I must of spent hours and using econoseal waterproof connectors to ensure all connections were secure and not going to corrode and give future problems. The Alternator wiring was redone as the early didn't fit the late.

As mentioned you will need on hotwire (14CUX) doner with Cats to replace the tune resistor to a green one to tell the ECU it no longer has lambda sensors. The catch unless you find NOS or second hand the green resistor is NLA.
Also to gain smooth running it will need a speed signal which means fitting a pickup directly onto the box and then running a TD5 electronic speedo, or the correct NAS mid cable speedo sensor and paying a kings ransom for the rest of the cable to match your current speedo. A lot of conversions out there don't and this gives rough running and stalling at junctions.
The fuel pump comes to mind as it will need changing to a high pressure EFI one, It might be possible to build a 'Frankenpump' like I did but adjust the length to match the 110 tank you have. Also I think if you don't have one then also running a return line to the tank.

My 90 build could warrant a few good ideas if you want to look through it. It was for a 14CUX doner I pulled out of a 1995 discovery.

If you did want to use the older Flapper system then there is a lot of similar between the two but the ECU is larger and MAF meters are known to wear out over time.
BUT....
If you did want that route then I do have a 3.5 EFI Flapper lump (Engine etc not just a pile of parts) with a complete injection system Including known working at the time MAF meter going for a reasonable rate. I think it is missing an Alt and PAS but elsewise all there. PM me if you want I just want it out the way.
Post #598342 1st Feb 2017 7:28pm
charcoal

Thanks for the info, converting to efi is entirely dependant on my rebuilt carburettors working so if they donțt work I'll likely get back to you on that offer. I never see hotwire efi systems for sale which is why I didn't consider them. 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #598978 4th Feb 2017 12:08am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I've got this old efi engine, you're welcome to take it away and scavenge parts from it. It's has a new cam and timing chain fitted. Only driven around the estate once.

I went GEMS route, it scares most people away with the amount of extra work, but it's self learning and won't forget any of its parameters like MS seems to have a reputation of doing.

Or you could go for the Weber carb route...is it the dominator 500 ? Cba Google
Post #598989 4th Feb 2017 7:20am
Jim G

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
The green resistor which is NLA, is just a 470 ohm resistor, if you go for EFI and need a resistor, PM me and I will post you one FOC
Post #606147 2nd Mar 2017 7:13pm
charcoal

Thanks, ditched the idea of EFI now that my carbs are fine. 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #607925 8th Mar 2017 7:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1