↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Protection And Performance Snorkel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Protection And Performance Snorkel
So. I am quite excited this evening. After a year of working through the options I have finally found a snorkel that fits well with a Safety Devices roll cage.

Ahhh and it is a beautiful thing too. Cool

I have tried both the Mantec raised air intakes, the classic metal and the plastic jobby. The former fitted but I just did not like it and I have had one before that just rusted badly, so tried the plastic version. This does not fit a Safety devices roll cage, not even close.

I even almost considered reusing the safari snorkel, cutting a large hole in the wing to site it closer to the wheel arch. But I just couldn't bring myself to do this.

Then there was the Entreq snorkel, what a gorgeous thing that is, but apart from the price that does not fit with a roll cage. Or at least that is what I was led to believe. Darned expensive either way.

So, after many calls and emails to P&P I finally bit the bullet and bought one of their snorkels and I am so glad I did. These guys are superb to deal with, supremely helpful and answer their emails and phone almost instantly. Highly recomennded.

Anyway it arrived next day and packaged in so many layers of pipe insulation and bubble wrap that it took a good ten minutes to reach the snorkel. Needless to say the snorkel arrived in perfect condition.

The product is exceptionally well made, super welds and a good thick coat of protective plastic coating. Best of all, when I placed it up against the wing earlier (yes in the dark and rain) it fitted great and tight to the wing and cage, no huge curves. This really has been well thought out.

Here are some pictures of the snorkel as it arrived. I will post some of it fitted hopefully tomorrow;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/b]
Post #598942 3rd Feb 2017 10:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well the snorkel now resides where it should do, there are a few issues I have to sort out before it is fully functional, but apart from that it looks great.

The only "extra" thing that you need to do providing you have a P&P cage is to drill one 5mm hole in the wing as the down pipe cover the original hole. You'll see this in the pics.

Issues are mostly mine;

1) there is no ducting connecting the snorkel to the intake pipe. I foolishly stuck it up on eBay when I fitted the Safari snorkel. The plan is to create a metal version of the duct to connect it all up and it will be water tight at the same time. Could possibly fit the nugget stuff Puma duct in there as Plan-B... Never seen one in the flesh but assume it is a direct replacement for the LR plastic ducting.

2) Safari snorkle top is too big, it is a 3.5" top on a 3" pipe. Two options, get a 3" Safari top or a Dome topped version like you see on tractors.

3a) I knew before buying the snorkel that it was not designed for the Safety Devices roll cage and it is so almost nearly a perfect fit. The angle of the sloping pipe is slightly steeper than the SD cage and so deviates a little towards the upper mount. It is a shame that top bracket isn't 10mm longer... And this leads on to...

3b) The snorkel to cage fixing solution is not great, I am afraid I do not like the P-Clips at all. The solution will be to fabricate a simple bracket. At the moment the plan is to re-use the SD clamps I have in the garage, unless something better comes along.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #599086 4th Feb 2017 5:56pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Hi Geobloke, I had the same issues as yourself when after fitting the SD roll cage finding a snorkel to fit.
In the end went with a southdown one, means cutting a hole in your wing but the wings are effectively all drilled for the roll cage anyway so wasn't too fussed about that. It also comes with the ducting to run straight from the snorkel to the airbox so is waterproof without any further ado, as long as you seal the holes in the airbox Smile

Click image to enlarge

Post #599118 4th Feb 2017 8:36pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Camelman. Delicious 110 mate Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

for some reason I thought Southdown were not trading anymore... Obviously I was wrong there. Used to have their tank guard and hitch setup. Flipping awesome bit of kit!

SD really should pull their thumb out and produce a snorkel to go with their cages...
Post #599140 4th Feb 2017 10:20pm
L110CDL

England 
Hi geobloke i have had the " connector " tube welded on to the plate that attaches to the wing, on my landy pics you will see the snorkel is shorter and is a new one made of S/S as the old one was badly rusting away Crying or Very sad Its so much easier to connect and disconnect the air tube this way Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #599423 5th Feb 2017 10:41pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:
Hi Camelman. Delicious 110 mate Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

for some reason I thought Southdown were not trading anymore... Obviously I was wrong there. Used to have their tank guard and hitch setup. Flipping awesome bit of kit!

SD really should pull their thumb out and produce a snorkel to go with their cages...

Hi Geobloke, yeah, Southdown don't really advertise much anymore but they're still going. Their website http://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/Products.htm only shows snorkels now so don't know if they've stopped making the other stuff they used to sell. The do sell the clamps separately for connecting the snorkel to the SD cage so that might help you? 
Post #599445 5th Feb 2017 11:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL: I know, right. Having the pipe continue beyond the mounting plate really should be an option... Would make life much easier Laughing

Go on then post a pic of your snorkel Thumbs Up

Last edited by geobloke on 6th Feb 2017 6:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #599628 6th Feb 2017 6:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
camelman wrote:
Hi Geobloke, yeah, Southdown don't really advertise much anymore but they're still going. Their website http://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/Products.htm only shows snorkels now so don't know if they've stopped making the other stuff they used to sell. The do sell the clamps separately for connecting the snorkel to the SD cage so that might help you?

There was rumour of their towing products not being tested and therefore rated and therefore not legal, or at least that's what I remember. Didn't stop me using the tank guard to tow with though, fantasticly tugged kit, did many many miles of road and off road travel with a trailer hooked up. Never failed.

Ahh yes I had forgotten about their snokel clamps. Wonder if they will fit?!
Post #599632 6th Feb 2017 6:35pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Devon 4x4 supply a couple of different snorkel clamps if that helps https://www.devon4x4.com/expedition-and-tr...illes.html
Post #599793 7th Feb 2017 12:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
geobloke wrote:
There was rumour of their towing products not being tested and therefore rated and therefore not legal, or at least that's what I remember. Didn't stop me using the tank guard to tow with though, fantasticly tugged kit, did many many miles of road and off road travel with a trailer hooked up. Never failed.

Whilst it's true that their towing gear wasn't type-approved for post '97 'M' class vehicles, the reason they stopped making them was because the guy that owns the company got fed up with people ripping off his designs. There used to be a bit on their website about it, although I can't find it now. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #599816 7th Feb 2017 1:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Aren't 'N' type commercial exempt too IIRC? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #599817 7th Feb 2017 1:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, that's why I said only post '97 'M'. Type approval for towing gear doesn't apply to anything else. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #599827 7th Feb 2017 2:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
geobloke wrote:

Whilst it's true that their towing gear wasn't type-approved for post '97 'M' class vehicles, the reason they stopped making them was because the guy that owns the company got fed up with people ripping off his designs. There used to be a bit on their website about it, although I can't find it now.

Thanks for setting me straight. I dont blame him at all. i remeber a conversation or two with Gwyn Lewis along those lines, think it was about the time his challenge kit was requisitioned by another well known manufacturer of gear... Again anothe A1 guy with top gear. ran his challenge kit for ten years, never let me down once Thumbs Up
Post #599926 7th Feb 2017 9:14pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Harry.O wrote:
Devon 4x4 supply a couple of different snorkel clamps if that helps https://www.devon4x4.com/expedition-and-tr...illes.html

Awesome thanks harry Thumbs Up
Post #599931 7th Feb 2017 9:27pm
L110CDL

England 
geobloke wrote:
L110CDL: I know, right. Having the pipe continue beyond the mounting plate really should be an option... Would make life much easier Laughing

Go on then post a pic of your snorkel Thumbs Up

These pics are of my old snorkel and the new one was made to this and was put together much better as i found on the old one after i started digging the rust off and found the tube was spot welded on and the rest was filled with some sort of mastic, so a place that water could get in Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #601305 12th Feb 2017 9:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1