↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > stainless sils ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TDfive

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
stainless sils ?
hi lads (and lasses) anybody know where i can get my hands on some stainless sil plates (as chequer plate ) or maybe stainless rock sliders failing that .
i just hate chequer plate all over the landie (have got it on the wing tops Sad ).
have just bought this new 56 plate TD5 90 ht in zambize and want to lavish some hard earned on it Very Happy
cheers
paul
Post #3788 11th Sep 2008 6:23pm
TDfive

am i asking silly questions? or is it just i aint got a transit engine under the bonnet? Rolling Eyes Whistle
Post #3857 15th Sep 2008 12:09am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I don't think it's anything to do with Transit engines as most folk on here have in the past owned and some still do own a td5.
I think it's more to do with the fact that it's been a bit quiet because there has been a show on.
To be honest with you it's a bit of a daft question as you don't like checker plate but you have it on your wing tops ? What difference would it make on your sills ! In all honesty not much ! If anything it would look daft stainless and all ?
As for the weight ? You can see the atraction straight away with ally, and rock sliders now I know u can get galvanised ones! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #3858 15th Sep 2008 12:52am
TDfive

the chequer plate on the wings is lr fitted from new i'd say and colour coded so would rather leave it than have holes in the wing tops , just dont like the look of it all along the side
must admit i've got a thing for stainless the standard sils are scratch to hell where boots have scuffed the paint (down to bare metal in places) not by me it was that way when purchased.
not saying i am that nimble on my feet Rolling Eyes .
seems to be stainless bits for every other application ie;rad grill,head light backing surrounds just think it would look better than the ruff old ali Rolling with laughter
as to the weight factor would not think there would too much differance between the 2 as the stainless can be a lot thinner + it wont get scuffed or tarnished like the ali would Wink.
have since been given the name of a guy that may be able to help out (whichever way i go ie; sil plates or rock sliders in stainless ) Rolling Eyes . call me a tackle tart if you like but i know what i like Very Happy
Post #3872 15th Sep 2008 5:58pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
if youre going bling on grille and head light surrounds then i dont suppose shiny shiny will look too bad on the sills.

Also if you have genuine ally plating on the wing tops then this should be the 3mm stuff and etched look or anodised i think its called. its duller "slightly" than the cheap shiny thin plating and will not show up the scratches as readily !
If your going for it with the tackle tart thing then you can also get the rear corners to suit and the little step bits on the front bumper ! when its all done in the same colour and all as per genuine 3mm then it does look pretty purposeful......................
It should look the part with stainless grille. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #3875 15th Sep 2008 6:34pm
TDfive

yeah you are right it is 3mm etched look on the wings .
must admit the more i think on it the more i think i'll go the rock slider route Laughing as the numpties around here dont seem to be too fussy if they open their car doors onto your truck so they can bash their doors all to peices if they so desire .
mind you think i'll have to get some overtime in to foot the bill Wink Thumbs Up
i did get a air intake wing vent in stainless the other day and it dont look too bad at all against the zambezi paint
cheers
paul
Post #3876 15th Sep 2008 6:45pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
A set of these is what you want Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #3878 15th Sep 2008 9:08pm
TDfive

those tree guards would play havoc with my varicus veins Confused
how long did it take you to get the shine on that paint work Surprised Bow down
Post #3881 15th Sep 2008 11:46pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
TDfive wrote:
those tree guards would play havoc with my varicus veins Confused

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

TDfive wrote:
how long did it take you to get the shine on that paint work Surprised Bow down

Not me, twas Ken from the D3 site he owed me a favour Wink He is a detailing god Bow down
Post #3884 16th Sep 2008 11:24am
TDfive

Bow down Bow down respect!! Thumbs Up (just dont look right though does it ? ) no mud,no scratches ,no dents Laughing .
think it would be wasted on mine though thinking in the new year to have the back tub sides resprayed it has all those spot weld marks never bothered much about um on the 87 td 90 but the zambezi makes it look bad Rolling Eyes . i dont know Neutral i spend all this money on a nice new "ish" landie after 20 + years driving around in old ones (never had a any thing younger than 12 years old in my many years of driving ) now i'm fussing over a few little pimples Rolling with laughter
Post #3896 16th Sep 2008 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1