↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > French pollution (read "anti-Defender") vignette.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
So according to their simulation, my Defender is a 2 and my Peugeot 207 is a 3.

I have no idea what any of that means Rolling Eyes Those stickers look HUGE!!! There's no room on a Defender windscreen for that! Evil or Very Mad
Post #593813 17th Jan 2017 1:14pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"It's all part of a wider EU ploy..."

Reference(s)? Where can I find more details about this shocking revelation?

Peter
Post #593921 17th Jan 2017 8:13pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Official site translation thanks to Google translate:

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/U...43566.html

This is not against the Defender as stated, but against older polluting engines (and to be honest, driving to a city center in a Defender or any large 4x4 doesn't make much sense).

This is not mandatory except for the cities where the restricted traffic zones are in place, which is mostly Paris for now, some other cities will follow later.

The sticker is less than 3in in diameter, less than a good old road tax disc in the UK (and last time I checked, there was enough room for the road tax disc on the windscreen).

It is based on actual Euro classification, so it's not just the year of registration as stated before but the emission class (although the Euro classification varies evolves throughout the years, of course)

It cannot apply to foreign cars simply because applying for the sticker requires entering specific data from the french "Carte Grise" (equivalent of the V5) “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #594024 18th Jan 2017 7:54am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
It looked bigger than it is in their video. I hate stickers of any size on my windscreen. At least this isn't something that will affect me as I dont intend to drive into Paris or Grenoble ever, and if I need to go up to Lyon the TGV is a far better option.
Post #594052 18th Jan 2017 10:43am
Mountain_man

Wales 
They had this back in Germany when I lived there 20 years ago. Not allowed to drive into Central Stuttgart unless you had a "green Sticker" Has since become a whole lot stricter too and rolled out to many other cities. However, and don't quote me here, once a car becomes an "oldtimer" (possibly 30 years old, need to check) it ceases to be part of the regulations. Is that hidden anywhere in the small print for the French regulations per chance?

Just clutching at straws since my 110 is 34 years old now Smile
Post #594082 18th Jan 2017 1:00pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
o4dn wrote:

It cannot apply to foreign cars simply because applying for the sticker requires entering specific data from the french "Carte Grise" (equivalent of the V5)

On the website the field that is only available from the "Carte Grise" information is not mandatory, registration (index mark) and Date of Certificate of Registration can be supplied from a UK V5. I have yet to apply for one but looks like anyone can apply Whistle

NOTE; It will apply to all vehicles using the French road system. When you drive in any country in the world in any vehicle, you and the vehicle you are driving are bound by the laws of that country regardless of anything Wink

I would rather obey than get a fine... The last one I got in France was 750 Yes that is correct 750... If you don't pay they impound the vehicle Exclamation 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #594083 18th Jan 2017 1:02pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Quote:
On the website the field that is only available from the "Carte Grise" information is not mandatory, registration (index mark) and Date of Certificate of Registration can be supplied from a UK V5. I have yet to apply for one but looks like anyone can apply

I did apply and can assure you really need the french certificate *and* a french number plate. I did not put the right data in one of the 3 applications I made (3 cars here) and my application got rejected... “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #594086 18th Jan 2017 1:09pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Oh, that makes no sense if that is the case. How does one obey if there is no facility to obtain the required sticker Question

Just found this in the FAQ's Arrow

How to obtain your certificate for a vehicle registered abroad?
A specific device will be available at the end of January 2017. It will propose a multilingual interface and will allow to enter the necessary information which appear on your certificate of registration as well as to attach a scan of your certificate of registry. 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #594090 18th Jan 2017 1:17pm
Birdy

The vignette is obtainable online only and from February on foreign vehicles can get one one the basis of make/model/year of registration if your Euro 5 or whatever number isnt marked on the V5. You can already see what itll come in at, my 2.4 will be Category 3

Lyon is quite important if youre driving South, I guess the peripheral motorway will be exempt (like our M25 which actually passes through the LEZ) but I find it quicker and definitely shorter to go straight through the centre on the old motorway.

Classic vehicles the old, old chestnut, how does the host country know its age without it having been registered there?

Peter

Edited to add: RustyM beat me to it!

Last edited by Birdy on 18th Jan 2017 1:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #594093 18th Jan 2017 1:33pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Cant wait to try that system.

Mine is Pre Euro! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #594095 18th Jan 2017 1:34pm
Birdy

Post #594098 18th Jan 2017 1:41pm
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Is the number on the sticker the car plates?

If yes, I can see a problem with Switzerland.
Post #594229 18th Jan 2017 8:48pm
Froglaise

Yes, issued per vehicle with the immatriculation number printed on it. No other car details other than it's emissions class.

First day of the year with a car in the city for me today and can confirm no effect on traffic Laughing

Saw more cars without a sticker than with and there was a police check point on the Quai du Louvre near Pont Neuf. Seemed to be ignoring stickers and pulling cars for having front door window tints.
Post #594233 18th Jan 2017 9:03pm
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Well, then, like I said there could be an issue with Switzerland.

First, I own 2 cars with the same registration, the RRS and the Defender.

Second, the registration is personal in Switzerland, my plates follow me al my life, from car to car.
Post #594238 18th Jan 2017 9:12pm
Froglaise

shaggydog wrote:
Cant wait to try that system.

Mine is Pre Euro!

If you're serious about taking a pre 1997 car into Paris or one of the other cities then the only way without a sticker will be if it's identified as electric powered conversion with V5 to match or a vhicule de collection. For the latter, FFVE.org will be busy I expect. They helped me register 2 cars last year as collectors cars despite not being 30yrs old as I was led to believe. Depends on the car as it turns out although can't have cool black registration plates until 30yrs+

Seems backwards thinking that some old, undeniably more polluting vehicles get a free pass still just because someone considers them a classic.
Post #594239 18th Jan 2017 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>