↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Air-tight container for kibble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Air-tight container for kibble
Sadly vet says my dog may be allergic to protein ( he is on a raw meat diet) so has advised me to put him on hypoallergenic kibble. He is very sad Crying or Very sad

Anyway, was wondering if there is such a thing as a decent quality air-tight plastic container that will take a large sack of kibble (either 7Kg or 11kg)

Amazon reviews say really flimsy plastic and not really airtight...
Post #1028287 16th Mar 2024 7:44pm
Bev

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
We have used one of these for about 4 years now. https://www.kctdirect.co.uk/products/kct-a...-fish-food

Takes a full bag of skinners field and trial https://www.vetshop.co.uk/Skinners-Field-T...-Food-15kg

We binned the integrated scoop thing though and the dog likes the different skinners food options. 2002 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Oslo Blue
2006 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Tonga Green (Gone )
2002 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Zambezi Silver (Gone)
Post #1028290 16th Mar 2024 7:55pm
Shafski

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
If you want to come and collect it, I’ve one! My dog went the opposite way! Shafski

2015 110 Montalcino Red Utility “Harriet”
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic88791.html
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1025843.html#1025843
Post #1028292 16th Mar 2024 8:02pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Depending on how quickly he gets through it, you won’t necessarily need air tight. I just roll my bags back up.

Protein allergies are pretty rare, and going hypoallergenic won’t necessarily mean no protein, but will rule out a few other things that may cause upset. He will also need a level of protein in his diet, so it might be more about the type and quality rather than cutting it out altogether.

What are his symptoms and what were you feeding him? I make dog food for a living, so feel free to DM me for any specific advice.
Post #1028317 17th Mar 2024 8:20am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Re: Air-tight container for kibble
kmac wrote:
Sadly vet says my dog may be allergic to protein ( he is on a raw meat diet) so has advised me to put him on hypoallergenic kibble. He is very sad Crying or Very sad

Anyway, was wondering if there is such a thing as a decent quality air-tight plastic container that will take a large sack of kibble (either 7Kg or 11kg)

Amazon reviews say really flimsy plastic and not really airtight...

I've had two of these for 7+ years and they have been great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curver-Pet-Food-C...p&th=1

Mine are the white plastic version, not the silver trim, but same design, which these seem to change every few years.

If you Google: Curver Silhouette Dry Dog Food Container 12kg - you should see some options.
Post #1028339 17th Mar 2024 12:48pm
Wonderdust2

United Kingdom 
As others have said really depends on how quickly your dog goes through the food if it really needs to be totally air tight.

We use a swing top bin, lots of different sizes available for the amount of food you'll tip in.
Post #1028341 17th Mar 2024 1:00pm
kmac

Thanks all - will look at the ones recommended

Also will take up Co1's offer to PM
Post #1028362 17th Mar 2024 5:20pm
kmac

Shafski wrote:
If you want to come and collect it, I’ve one! My dog went the opposite way!

Thanks for your generous offer, but due to tight work schedule I'm going to have to order one on the interweb thingy for delivery
Post #1028364 17th Mar 2024 5:31pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Go around a local farmer and get some old lick buckets with lids. They're immensely strong, will take most of a bag of Wagg (16+kg) and are watertight, air tight and stackable.

We use them for everything once washed out.

This kind of thing

Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #1028375 17th Mar 2024 7:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Meguiars wash bucket is large and seals well with a lid, has a handle as well.
It’s quite big, not sure how it would compare to the above suggestion. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1028397 17th Mar 2024 10:44pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
With our doggo (on kibble) we put her bag of food into a plastic box that fits the whole bag (without tipping it out) and put the lid on - it's not open to the elements, but isn't vacuum sealed. I think the box is a "Really useful box".

Prior to a few weeks away in the landy we bought a bunch of these: https://www.therange.co.uk/leisure/sport/f...467#855467 at least they look similar - not sure about the sizings though.

We filled them up and they were easy to store in various locations around the landy (vs one big tub) and got approx 6 days worth in one. It's something we've carried on doing since we were home, kinda quicker and easier to feed her without opening the tub all the time. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1029183 24th Mar 2024 8:54pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
For what's it's worth I was told by a kibble producer some years ago to not keep it totally airtight as it needs to breathe a little. We just keep it in the large bags with a clip on and decant into cereal type containers once a week. Dog Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #1029197 25th Mar 2024 7:45am
Nasher

United Kingdom 
Our Toby who's a Lab/German Shepard X is on an HPM Veterinary Kibble for his gastric issues, and to be honest we find the Zip type seal on the sack is more than adequate to keep it fresh once the main seal is broken.

We did use a big plastic tub for a while but found it took up more space in the cupboard than the sack, needed washing out occasionally, and built up a huge amount of dust in the bottom after just a couple of sack loads emptied into it.

We have a smaller Tupperware type container if we are going away for a few days, but if going away for longer the full or half empty sack is easier to pack in the back of the car than a rigid container.

For info, Toby is a rescue we took on 6yrs ago and we were made aware he'd had a few stomach issues.
We were told he was @3yrs, but our son is a Vet Nurse and both he and his Boss immediately thought he was actually @7yrs at that point.

Initially anything we fed him went well for a few days to a week, then he'd end up with a very loose stomach even passing blood occasionally. Our son and the vet worked hard to sort it out with different diets, but when we moved to the HPM Digestive support Kibble he immediately improved and has been fine ever since.
We do cook and add Turkey breast meat to mix into the kibble, as Turkey is at the top of the list for being inert in that respect.
Keeping his main food as above means he can now cope with occational less appropriate treats and chews.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029343 26th Mar 2024 11:13am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
It's amazing the things we do for our furry family members!

In her old age, our old Scottie used to pick up stomach bugs like they were going out of fashion - not helped by locals who didn't keep their ill dogs away - seemed to be a once every couple of month event!! - we ended up avoiding all other dog walkers in the end as we felt it wasn't fair on her and its no fun dealing with the southern leavings of an unwell doggo.

Chicken and rice was the go too with that. That was a learning curve too, we refrigerated some, fed it to her still cold, she wolfed it down so quick that I guess her stomach did knots with this cold lump of mush and up it came Laughing

Quick tip for an ill dog not taking fluids If they like things like frozen peas - drop a couple in their water bowl and generally they might stick their faces in to try and figure them out, any fluids is important. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1029636 28th Mar 2024 5:41pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Froogle-Yorkshireman wrote:
For what's it's worth I was told by a kibble producer some years ago to not keep it totally airtight as it needs to breathe a little. We just keep it in the large bags with a clip on and decant into cereal type containers once a week. Dog

It’s not necessarily true, depending on the manufacturing process, but it’s no problem. If you look closely in most large plastic bags of kibble, there are vent holes in the side and the shelf life is still 12 months plus.
Post #1029653 28th Mar 2024 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1