↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Driving lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Driving lights
I want to fit a nice quality set of driving lights in the new year. Budget won't stretch to 9" Super Oscars, or Lazer LEDs, so I've narrowed it down to either the 7" LED Cibie Oscars or the 7" LED PIAA ones. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Requirements are that they should be road legal in U.K. and quality of finish/build. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #583288 7th Dec 2016 7:38pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Ok so it sounds like you are in an approx. £300 budget and looking for your good setup?

If you willing to wait I do know the ST8 from Lazer can be had SH for about 300 and there is one on a sales FB group selling one for that. I have used this light and looking at the sales blurb an ST8 will outperform them.

This is honestly my opinion but looking at the specs in a performance (At least Cibie put some form of diagram to represent reach and spread) then for light output you will get more out of a pair of Lightforce 170's. With the change a set of combo filters to give a good spread too without compromising the already increased range you get over the cibie's

With that in mind if you don't want / mind the premium brand label of "Lightforce" then IMHO then the Roo lite with combo filters will go the distance with the lightforce and give them a run for the money.

To give a good comparison the Roo with the clear 'spot' lens will just outdistance the ST8 but the ST8 has a far better spread even when you used the Roo's with 'combo' filter. This I know as I have run these lights in the past and first hand tested what was better.

Yes LED's last longer, draw less currant and less susceptible to vibration, there is an instant assumption that any LED light is better than any HID / Halogen by default. They are not and attention must be paid to Photometric diagrams or real world usage to ascertain true performance, I would rather pay for a premium Halogen product than a OK LED product as performance over looks or the label is what I would value in seeing my hard earned light my journey. Thumbs Up
Post #583314 7th Dec 2016 9:15pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
In the market for a pair of lamps myself. As much as I am a big fan of Cibié lighting (had 4 Oscar+ on the front of my Suzuki SJ - now that was bright), I tend to think that I prefer the pure lines of a standard Landy. This sort of rules out the big Cibiés for me, but I am still swithering. What I need is something to give me a decent spread round about the front of the vehicle to illuminate the dark bits left by the led trucklites. Close in and round the sides is where I am literally left in the dark. I had been looking at smaller and cheaper led offerings on eBay, but I do realise you get what you pay for. Be interesting to see what others have in the way of auxiliary lighting on their motor and if it's used for distance or close up illumination. Will follow this thread with interest and hopefully get a few ideas too.
Post #583353 7th Dec 2016 10:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As far as I'm aware non obligatory lights I.e. Spotlights, reverse lights don't require 'E' marking. Almost everything else does.

I have Roos, very good, very happy.

Halogen vs LED, it's often noted Halogen can still outdo range over many LED's.
However, some LEDs have a bright whiter light and better flood pattern.
Unless you have binocular very long distance vision I'd say in many cases LED flood would be better.
I have combo filters on my Roos, also leave them on distance, but flood at times would be more useful. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #583357 7th Dec 2016 10:52pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Personally, for driving I prefer halogen. Much better colour rendering.

I have the normal wipac crystals, and a pair of 100W wipac spots wired as Aux driving lights. Never find myself wanting for light.

I've also just fitted a pair of big 65W LEDs on the roof rack, but if I'm honest it's mostly for the look!
Post #583374 7th Dec 2016 11:41pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Steve, spotlights I believe will be consider as optional or additional driving lights as such for use on the public highway they have to be type approved or E marked.

Why would manufacturers such as laser lights get type approval on some of their lamp range of type approval is not needed?

Please note there is a maximum of light output to be road legal, this is the peak beam reference number ( if I have got correct name) which is 100. If you look carefully at the lense you will see a number such as 17.5, the total of all such numbers on illuminated lights may not exceed 100

Reverse lights are non obligatory however I am pretty sure that they have to be type approved if fitted.

Brendan
Post #583382 8th Dec 2016 12:30am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Brendan - You're most likely right but in the real world it's rarely if ever checked.
I often see HGV's with blue lights on, I'm pretty sure that isn't right but no one or anything seems to worry.

I do think however obligatory lights are most important in case they fail, but anything else is neither here nor there in most cases.
The whole 'E' marking issue I think prevents us from various good things such as offerings from Aus or the USA.
Pity it doesn't change, maybe it will, maybe it won't who knows what the future brings.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #583384 8th Dec 2016 12:46am
Bluest

Thanks all, this is very interesting information. I guess I should have explained what I wanted them for. I want the best possible performance for unlit country roads. I do a lot of touring in rural France. I already have crystals, relay loom etc. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #583388 8th Dec 2016 1:01am
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have the 9" LED Super Oscars and they are amazing.
Then added a set of lazer ST4s.
Really find it a shock driving the Fiesta at night now after using the above setup.
Post #583390 8th Dec 2016 1:14am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Custom90steve was it you I sold my Roo's too? It was someone in the southwest, I hope your happy with them, I loved the combo filter with them to give a decent range and spread too.

Roddy with diffusion lens you will get about as good as you get with the spread at the cost of long range throw. mounted in the near same axis as the headlight my Lazer reeded lens do slightly throw some light to the RH and LH hedges with in reason and the laws of physics. It isn't much but it is better than the STD lights. To bring that point closer to you then you might have to consider roof mounted or smaller units mounted on the bumper corners turned slightly to face outwards.

IMHO In a perfect world and on the wish list is a pair of Triple R 750's with reeded lens on the bumper under the headlights for mid / long range spread and they would compliment my existing Triple R 1000 on the bumper to deal with the ultra long range punch. At them minute the 1000 has the lens's on them which means the magical 1 lux figure is brought under the 600meter range at the compromise for the extra spread. But a boy can wish or if your reading this in exchange for publicity and a honest review, Including youtube, twitter etc Lazer here I am Wink
Post #583391 8th Dec 2016 1:19am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Devon-Rover - No wasn't me, I got mine from Paddocks but I remember you putting them up for sale. Thumbs Up
Must have been someone else on here. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #583392 8th Dec 2016 1:52am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
custom90steve wrote:
As far as I'm aware non obligatory lights I.e. Spotlights, reverse lights don't require 'E' marking. Almost everything else does.

I have Roos, very good, very happy.

Halogen vs LED, it's often noted Halogen can still outdo range over many LED's.
However, some LEDs have a bright whiter light and better flood pattern.
Unless you have binocular very long distance vision I'd say in many cases LED flood would be better.
I have combo filters on my Roos, also leave them on distance, but flood at times would be more useful.

I have LR PIAA's. I did ask my MOT tester - they do not check Spots/fogs apart from maybe the wiring (i.e. checking they only come on with full beam). The type of lights and alignment seems to be confined to standard headlights.

Shams - getting idiots off the road driving with front fogs on (for no reason) which point at aircraft in the sky needs stopping!!! Mayve fog alignment should be part of the MOT Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #583440 8th Dec 2016 11:04am
Bluest

I've just noticed Lightforce do both an E-marked and non-E-marked version of the same unit, similar price for each. The legal one is 55w, the non legal is 100w. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #583545 8th Dec 2016 8:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
100w is fine, myself and K9F have had them for years with zero issues.
55w is the same output as headlights, there would be no point in fitting spots in that case IMO. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #583546 8th Dec 2016 8:15pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
There would be if it was a different beam pattern.
Post #583660 9th Dec 2016 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>