↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 1993 Defender 110 CSW Rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
1993 Defender 110 CSW Rebuild
Following on from my other thread I thought this project needed one of its own.

Wind back to June 2010 and I bought a 1993 110 County Station Wagon in Arrow Red, it had a busted transfer box and a few problems with rust. The transfer box was swapped easily enough and I bodged up the rusty bulkhead with fibreglass and filler and set about using the car until the MOT ran out.

It would be fair to say that the vehicle had lead a relatively hard life. There was 193,000 on the clock, the chassis was full of Marquenterre sand and British mud, and every panel was dented in some way. The interior was mostly there, save for the rear benches. But it drove well and I enjoyed using it for that summer.

As purchased:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rusty bulkhead horrors:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I procured a replacement bulkhead with the view that I would swap it out in due course. A 2006 Td5 unit complete with dash etc. was bought and stashed in the garage:

Click image to enlarge

Come September time the MOT was due to expire and a bit of prodding underneath revealed that it was going to need a lot of work to get a new ticket - the decision was made to rebuild the car onto a new chassis. I figured a quick chassis swap and I'll be rolling again, I certainly didn't expect that seven years later it would still be off the road.

T.B.C.
Post #606898 5th Mar 2017 12:12pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The strip down took place during the period Feb - Sep 2011.

Like all old Land Rovers it became apparent once disassembled that things were much rustier than was evident with the thing built up. Chassis shot in several places, body side frames (B/C pillar assemblies) also very rusty, all five doors beyond repair. All the fixings were solid with rust and most things had to be cut off, the exception being the suspension fixings which were clearly not that old and had been copper-greased which was a pleasant surprise after many months of fighting with seized stuff.

Bodywork removal:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rotten C pillars:

Click image to enlarge

All bodywork removed:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The chassis was duly cut up and taken to the scrapyard in exchange for a small amount of cash, I kept the section with the chassis number on to save any arguments in the future. Axles were not too bad, I actually stripped down the front one but in the intervening years all the bits have been either moved on or used on the 90, so I picked up a later axle a couple of years back to replace it. Both that and the rear axle will need a strip down and clean up with new seals/bearings etc. as necessary.

The 200Tdi engine was stored in the garage and then in spring 2012 repurposed into another 110 that I acquired. This was a 1989 2.5TD model which I bought to use over the summer and then sell on with the Tdi engine to make a few quid. I didn't make much but it covered the cost of running it and gave me a summers free motoring. It was actually a really nice car!

Click image to enlarge

Back to the red one, the LT77 gearbox was in good nick and after storing it for a while I sold it on. The rest of the panels were stashed away, apart from the rotten doors which I scrapped. As mentioned above all four corners have damage, at the moment I'm not sure what the plan is for the rear but I will get new wings for the front. I'll probably replace the wings on the rear tub too, though it's a much more involved process involving spot welds etc. rather than just the nut & bolt construction of the fronts.
Post #606933 5th Mar 2017 3:42pm
L110CDL

England 
Many many thanks for your time to write up this new thread, good read and as always cant wait for the next instalment Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #607050 5th Mar 2017 8:06pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You're welcome.

I did a fair bit of parts collecting over 2011/2012 picking up things like second row doors, body capping, spare panels, interior trim, wheels, anything that came up for sale which I happened to need.

The second row doors were a bargain, offensively cheap from a scrapyard - I can be pretty sure they aren't hookey though as you can see Laughing

Click image to enlarge

I also during that period picked up the engine that will power the 110. The power plant of choice is a Mazda SL35Ti, a 3.5 litre turbodiesel which produces about the same power as a Td5 and marginally more torque. These engines were imported in small numbers in the 80s/90s by Motor and Diesel, primarily to refit V8 Range Rovers at a time when diesel was cheaper than petrol and people wanted diesel economy without sacrificing the V8 grunt. Because of this the engine is a V8 fitment, that is to say that in terms of chassis mounts, gearbox fitment etc. it is dimensionally the same as a Rover V8. As such I will require a V8 chassis and gearbox, and V8/300Tdi/Td5 seatbox, tunnel, floors and propshafts. The engines were fitted to Mazda T-series trucks and some minibuses etc. and we're popular in Australia.

The engine:

Click image to enlarge

In September 2012 I moved to Scotland for a years work placement after completing my course. One thing led to another and I got a permanent job in July 2013. After finding somewhere to live that had suitable potential I set about building a workshop up here in preparation for moving everything north to allow me to continue generally messing about with Land Rovers but specifically allow for the completion of the 110 project.

Handy slab came with house:

Click image to enlarge

Workshop goes up:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There was a slight delay when a big storm picked up the part-completed workshop and smashed it into the field behind in many pieces... but I rebuilt it and fixed it down proper!

Not much happened between then and 2016, though a brief moment of excitement was getting the engine running. I needed to ascertain its viability before I went and built a car around it so made up a test rig on a pallet and hooked up battery/fuel/radiator etc. to give it a go. The result was good, luckily:

Post #607090 5th Mar 2017 9:29pm
L110CDL

England 
Great next instalment, thank you Thumbs Up So is this year going to be the one to start the build of the Arrow red 110 now that the engine is a good un ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #607096 5th Mar 2017 9:47pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Nice write up. Following with interest Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #607097 5th Mar 2017 9:49pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Well the engine test was September 2015, and I suppose the answer to your question depends on how one defines the start of the build. I would say it is when one bolts the first thing to the new chassis, in which case it will hopefully be in the next few months!

So wind on to spring 2016 and I took a run down to Derbyshire and returned with something very shiny:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Marslands Chassis very kindly did me a V8 spec chassis but with the later Td5-on rear end to allow me to use a later plastic tank etc. - the vehicle will be built using rest-of-world spec looms etc. so this will work with the Td5-on fuel tank.

Another trip to Derbyshire saw me drop off a Td5 R380 with gearbox wizard Shabs at Syncro Gearboxes for rebuild and conversion to V8 input shaft etc. - then yet another trip to pick it up a month or two later:

Click image to enlarge

And then I splashed some cash with Land Rover to get my hands on a new set of front doors:

Click image to enlarge

These are the later 2005-on ones like the second rows I picked up years back, and will be built up with electric windows and CDL in due course. Now the only door I am missing is the rear tailgate one, so I'm on the lookout for one in good nick or if that fails I will just buy new again.

And that brings us up to date! I am in the process of building a small lean-to type shed out the back of my main workshop to house my air compressor, once this is all in place I will be able to get the chassis cleaned up and painted and the fun part can start. Would really like to get to the rolling chassis stage as soon as possible, if only to make the thing easier to move about as at the moment it's a royal pain in the backside.
Post #607100 5th Mar 2017 10:07pm
L110CDL

England 
Great to be up to date Thumbs Up Will be waiting for the first update with great interest and thank you again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #607104 5th Mar 2017 10:20pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Great rebuild there! how easy was it to swop the TDi engine into the NA? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #607151 6th Mar 2017 6:08am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Thanks. It was a 2.5TD rather than a N/A - a late 1989 model.

It was very easy, everything lined up. Even the holes for the air filter brackets were already in the inner wing due to it being such a late TD. Having all the Defender spec parts available made it simpler too - exhaust etc.

It transformed the vehicle, as one would imagine. Much nicer to drive, though a little noisier.
Post #607155 6th Mar 2017 6:59am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Very interesting thread I shall park and keep updated! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #607223 6th Mar 2017 1:24pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Following with interest, looked at a early 110 with that engine a while ago Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #607916 8th Mar 2017 7:01pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Bit more progress made, I got the air compressor shed built and it it wired & plumbed in which has enabled me to get the chassis cleaned, degreased, T-washed and finally painted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then turned my attention to the aforementioned front axle. Its condition on strip down was disappointing, with unpleasantness both inside (water in oil, rust abound) and outside (rotten brackets). I did start to repair the brackets but have decided to procure a later axle in better condition which will be more cost effective given that I need to replace the diff/internals anyway.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully not too many weeks away from bolting an axle onto the chassis now.
Post #625787 21st May 2017 2:40pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Great stuff Cool
Post #625797 21st May 2017 4:06pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Looking good so far Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #625808 21st May 2017 5:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>