Home > Off Topic > Winter Electricity bills
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Winter Electricity bills
Passing on a tip here, many if you probably already do. Idea
However, with advances in LED technology for household lighting and with their known efficiency and low wattage draw there is a significant financial saving to be had using these in a whole household of lighting.
In particular for a larger property.

Whilst they aren't particularly cheap. (Although cheaer now @ around £6 - 10 each.)
After an initial outlay of say circa £100 in fittings for an average house there is likely to be around a £200 saver PA on your energy bill.
First year, it will cover your outlay and a saving - the next year you make a significant saving.

Typical standard incandescent lightbulbs were 100 - 60 - 40w.
Energy saving bulbs (non LED) typically 12 -18w
I'm quite happy with mine as LED @ 6.5 - 9.5w
I can whole heartedly recommend Philips LED lightbulbs with either BC or ES cap fitting.

Our power bill in the last two years has been cut from £52 PCM to £19! Shocked
As well as the fact this is better for the Enviroment and offsets some of my 90's emmisions. Whistle
(Although all are carbon offset to 28k mileage, or at least mine was.)

The light bulbs I've mentioned above are for regular household fittings, there are various types available but S I said I do recommend Philips for these.
Our kitchen light was a fluorescent strip light. (The ones with starters which are a pain in themselves.)
That was 70w, replaced that with an LED strip light fixture for about £30 and that's down to 21w I believe or there abouts.
We also have LED chip outdoor spotlights that are 20w each for larger ones or 10w for smaller ones.
These are from GWSLED on eBay.
It all helps, the 20w LED outdoor spotlight is equilivent to a 100w halogen unit.

I just thought I'd share this with you all and hopefully save you some money.
One of those rare things that will actually save you money.

Thumbs Up

P.S. If anyone wants any links to items I have mentioned, let me know and I'm sure I can find some. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #578220 16th Nov 2016 5:38pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thumbs Up Yep, I'm gradually changing all mine to LED. So far the kitchen and one of the bathrooms are all LED and I have noticed a drop in the bills already. Thumbs Up They also last a long time compared to regular GU10s which kept blowing. Prices have come down to a reasonable level now so its a no brainer really.

I really want to replace my outside halogen floodlights to LED but I've not seen any in action so have no idea how they compare in brightness. Anyone have external LED flood lights? I need them to light the paddocks and garden.
Post #578226 16th Nov 2016 5:52pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Good tip Thumbs Up and I have already changed most of my lights to LED, I am fortunate enough to have a trade card for a warehouse called STAX where LED bulbs are as cheap as chips, (they have branches all over the UK)

I have also signed up for British Gas ‘free Sunday’, where all my electricity is free from 9am to 5pm. So all washing is done on that day, the tumble dryer is run flat out, storage radiators are on full blast in fact everything I used to do with electric like charging battery’s and devices is now all done on a Sunday between 9-5, you can choose Saturday instead of Sunday if you want. I reckon I will save at least three hundred a year, until they withdraw the offer of course, but I have it for at least a year under contract. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #578228 16th Nov 2016 5:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have LED floods, as I mentioned 20w jobs but variable in wattage dependantnon what you want.
They are around £10 each, next to nothing really and the light is bright white colour temp which is much better than the warm orange glow type things.
I use 2x 10w models in the shed now in each eave, you don't need any more than that or 1x 20w outdoors.
Maybe a 50w in a farm yard.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Floodlight-1...7b6ae7ca34
These are what I have Cool White, price is superb, I have been very happy with them.
There are PIR versions too if you wanted those. (Or add your own instead with something like a Steinel 180 PIR.)

But they are very very good. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 16th Nov 2016 6:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #578232 16th Nov 2016 6:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
This is a 10w LED outdoor light in Cool White non PIR as per my link above indoors in the shed.
A pair each side gives great light with no shadow.
Very little heat produced either, next to none in fact if not used for long.

Click image to enlarge
 Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #578233 16th Nov 2016 6:09pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Do they make a 1500 watt halogen equivalent?
Post #578239 16th Nov 2016 6:20pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I use a couple of these outside. 300W equivalent (that is what they replaced) and they are excellent.

http://www.beamled.com/50w-slimline-black-...white.html

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #578240 16th Nov 2016 6:23pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
We rented our house for 6 months before plumping to buy, as soon as we signed on the dotted line I changed all the interior and exterior lights to LED bulbs & fixtures, month on month our electricity bill has been reduced by almost 70% Shocked

To add to the efficiency my Mrs got a tax rebate and spent it on ultra efficient washer & heat pump dryer which have reduced our usage even further Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Gilarion - hadn't heard of Stax before, turns out there's one on the outskirts of Glasgow, thanks for mentioning them Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #578269 16th Nov 2016 8:16pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
As a slight off topic post, I put a 3w LED in my 6D Maglite for dog walking duties and it totally transformed the torch. You can focus the beam with the LED, much better than with the ordinary bulb. I can shine a light further than I can see with detail, probably 200 meters or more. Handy for seeing eyes if you're bored of your dog catching rabbits. Cost me £10 and my best purchase of the year so far.
Post #578276 16th Nov 2016 8:30pm
Tinytim

United Kingdom 
AndyS, do you have any details for the LEDs you used, I have a couple of maglites that don't get used and would benefit from an upgrade.
Post #578284 16th Nov 2016 9:13pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Very interesting as I seem to always be telling the family members to turn things off...

I'm gradually changing to LED and am looking at the Philips range of HUE bulbs to work with the home automation and echo.

I'm interested in the dryer that's more efficient as I swear ours in on daily for hours.... The washing seems to generate itself in our house. Tell me more about this...

I'm also interested in the wind turbines for your home and been looking at the tesla battery's. Its just the out lay upfront on many of these the break even is not always that good.

As you say LED are relatively cheap so savings it an easy win.

Edit.... I used my maglite the other day a 3 'D' cell one in its day the best.... flipping useless.... is this the bulb I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools/UpLED...glite+bulb
Post #578291 16th Nov 2016 9:25pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Does the old student trick of a needle through the side of the meter not go on any more..... ?! Whistle 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #578309 16th Nov 2016 10:30pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I've converted 4 properties ( including our own house ) to LED, saving 70/80% on load per house. Good for my home bills, good for my tenants bills, it also looks good on the EPC certificate if you're selling and is a plus point when the letting agent shows a prospective tenant round.
I'm a retired sparky so I was able to buy in bulk from my long-time local wholesaler, but I have bought some of the IKEA lamps, 9w GLS, and they're as good as anyone's and are very cheap too.

Be careful if you're putting the GU10's into a Flameguard type downlight fitting though, the tin can types. The heat build up means they don't last long. The box the lamp comes in will have a small symbol on showing whether it's suitable for these enclosed downlights. Thumbs Up
Post #578314 16th Nov 2016 10:48pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
I'm interested in the dryer that's more efficient as I swear ours in on daily for hours.... The washing seems to generate itself in our house. Tell me more about this...

Stacey,
The dryer we bought is a Miele heat pump condensing A+++ rated dryer which pumps the condensate straight into the drain, takes a wee bit of getting used to but its paying dividends now Thumbs Up

Red-dot,
My mother found this in a shop she bought, always thought it was an urban myth like the 50p ice moulds used to feed the old coin meters Razz [/quote] 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #578342 17th Nov 2016 12:00am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
RED-DOT wrote:
Does the old student trick of a needle through the side of the meter not go on any more..... ?! Whistle

Laughing Laughing No not anymore students are so cash rich these days they don't care, plus of course meters are digital and smart meters even more complicated to fiddle!

However I believe you can buy a smart device off the internet to affix to the meter that uses clever software that fools the meter and either stops the digital count or slows it down. Not that I would ever advocate using such an illegal device. Whistle For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #578463 17th Nov 2016 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>