↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rubbing sound turning left from cold?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Rubbing sound turning left from cold?
My car's done around 3,000 miles now and has been fully waxyolyed below. Since I got it, the car would occassionally make a slight rubbing sound / feel through the steering usually when turning left from cold start, and when the car is not moving (e.g. when pulling out of a tight parking spot.

So:
- normally when the steering is cold
- only when turning left I think
- usually only when the car is stationary or maybe moving very slowly, e.g. moving out of a parking spot

....and it makes this slight rubbing sound at one point during the turn of the wheel.

Anyone had this before? Could it be the Waxyoyl being cold on steering components and rubbing? Or is it just a normal part of defender ownership?

I can't see anything rubbing below the car, and neither did the dealer when I got them to adjust the tracking.

Any ideas guys? Any help appreciated! Smile
Post #443094 4th Aug 2015 3:55pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
It could be your tyre fouling the radius arm when on full lock. The lock stop may need adjusting perhaps? Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #443138 4th Aug 2015 5:53pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Thanks mate - it's not on full lock when it happens though. To be honest it almost just feels / sounds stiff.... like your moving something that hasn't warmed up enough yet? Recon it could just need greasing?
Post #443159 4th Aug 2015 7:28pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Have you had a look at the C,V, joints for signs of leaking grease. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #443161 4th Aug 2015 7:35pm
tomdaprince

Netherlands 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Might just be oil cavitating mate. As you have it when near stationary (pulling our of tight spot) i don't think its the CV. As long as you only have it when shes cold I would pay to much attention to it. Just another Land Rover thing I guess.
Post #443287 5th Aug 2015 7:27am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Sounds, noises, squeaks and groans on a Land Rover? In the nearly fifty years I’ve been driving ‘em I could have spent thousands of hours and possibly a fortune on trying to identify and cure them. So I adopted the philosophy of letting whatever was causing it actually break or fail, then I’d know…

Some got worse, some went away, but no sound, noise, squeak or groan ever immobilised me, it was the bangs and crashes that came with no warning!.

Peter
Post #443302 5th Aug 2015 8:51am
scotiach

Switzerland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Scotia Grey
I have the same thing, I noticed it first under the same conditions, but it also makes the noise when warmed up and driving faster, but only with a certain amount of turn of the wheel - left turn only. It's like a shudder/grating sound almost on mine. I though it might be the diff lock being slightly engaged (as the lever keeps moving out of position), but it's not that (does it with lever fully in place).

I don't know what it is, assumed it was normal, just to tell you you're not alone Smile
Post #443655 6th Aug 2015 10:40am
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Slipping PAS belt?
Post #443692 6th Aug 2015 12:58pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Both cv joints look like this? Dry at the front and wet at the back. Not sure if that's just waxoyl heating up though? This picture was taken after a couple mins of driving. That rubbing sound was heard once doing full lock into a car park at around 10mph-15mph.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #443694 6th Aug 2015 1:02pm
tomdaprince

Oh thats not right mate. You need to replace the swivel seals. The CV's are inside the balls. Put car on full lock and shuve a white long zip tie in the swivel to check grease level. Seems like a heavy look so would not be surprised if balls are empty. I would not drive lik this, for the time being you can throw some 80W90 or 75W90 in there so it stays lubricated. Running them dry results in imminent failure.
Post #443698 6th Aug 2015 1:10pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
To be honest I'm not that mechanical - no experience in it etc. The car is still under warranty as it's only done 3600 miles in about 3 months or so. Does the above look normal? If not I'll take it into the dealer and get them to sort. They couldn't find anything last time but maybe with the pictures that's a better clue. I'm not sure what the ball joint is meant to look like - but yes, the ball joint is what I was referring to above. Thanks!
Post #443703 6th Aug 2015 1:13pm
tomdaprince

If its still under warranty I would get it to the dealers asap. Could be that the waxoil damaged the seal which caused this. The wet stuff on the swivel is def. grease and not hot waxoil. When at the dealers ask them to check the CV's joints (might wanna say you feel it ticking when at steering lock) as thats a sign a CV is dying so they will sure open it up to see. If it was running dry the CV's might already be damaged and better check it extra careful now its still under warranty.
Post #443706 6th Aug 2015 1:23pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Looks like whoever applied the anti corrosion coating covered the swivel balls too which the seal may, or may not have been able to wipe clear. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #443712 6th Aug 2015 1:29pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just to ask if you are sure the sound is not just the PAS fluid noise that is always present when under full lock. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #443714 6th Aug 2015 1:31pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Was rust master in knutsford who seemed great at the time tbh - http://www.knutsfordtimes.com/knutsford-bu...res-brass/

It's under warranty so will take it in. Tbh I cant imagine the waxyoyl being much different to clear than mud, which these seals should be able to breeze through.
Post #443715 6th Aug 2015 1:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>