↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Custody of a dog..... legal type buisines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Custody of a dog..... legal type buisines
Don't you just love it when someone goes and destroys a part of your life. I have given the missus the old heave-ho.... but here is a problem someone on this forum might have come across before so advice would be awesome.

OK, when leaving the missus she locked the dog away and refuses me access to him. I (my money) bought him 10 weeks ago (he was 12 weeks old) I then looked after him for 2 weeks whilst at home which also included paying for all his jabs and an implant chip.

For the following 5 weeks I was away in Austria, competing at snowboarding with work so he stayed at home with the (now ex) missus- I aid here £100 a week to cover any costs.

3 weeks ago I got back and have since looked after him (with no help from her) and also paid a vets bill for an operation he had over new years.

I have got insurance for him in my name too.

Only one snag.... When I got him chipped the missus filled in the paperwork in her name... will this make any huge problems when the case goes to court?

Any help/ advice would be hugely appreciated.

Glyn Sheep

Another thought- would it be bad to just go round and take the dog as the ex missus just throws him out into the back garden for half days at a time? (Ex missus lives in Scotland, My home is Wales, but working in Germany)
Post #51764 8th Jan 2011 6:26pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Glyn,

Divorce can be a very, very acrimonious and extremely expensive process, believe you me!!! It can also take a heavy toll on your health and state of mind.....
It is very easy to 'get hung up' on principle rather than sense and sensibility and the only people to profit are the solicitors...such instances are 'meat and gravy' to them.
As harsh as this may sound kidnap is not the answer as this will make you look bad and possibly place you on the wrong side of the law and a bitter dispute (over an animal it's not bl00dy worth it), remain calm, honourable and level-headed. Not sure about your circumstances (children etc.) but I went through a mangle for three years trying to get everything settled! Forget the dog and concentrate on moving on. PM me if I can offer any unbiased advice and I'll furnish you with my number!

Good luck and best wishes Mal... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #51767 8th Jan 2011 6:39pm
Glynparry25

K9F wrote:
Glyn,

Divorce can be a very, very acrimonious and extremely expensive process, believe you me!!! It can also take a heavy toll on your health and state of mind.....

Good luck and best wishes Mal... Thumbs Up

That is where I wasn't a mug.... wasn't married, just boy friend/ girlfriend. I was thinking more down the line of I have paid for everything with it and cared fr it just as much/ maore than her.... would it be kidnap?

Glyn Sheep
Post #51768 8th Jan 2011 6:41pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Take him !!! he will be happy with you, if shes on her own now she probably end up with a few cats anyhow
Post #51771 8th Jan 2011 6:44pm
Glynparry25

kingofthesparks wrote:
Take him !!! he will be happy with you, if shes on her own now she probably end up with a few cats anyhow

She already has one cat, lol. I know he will be happier with me. Whenever we are anywhere he always wants to be next to me... at the vets he always cowers to me. That is why I want him.... she is more concerned about his appearance..... wanting him to drink tea so he gets a shiny coat etc.- if dogs were meant to drink tea PG Tips would make a special Dog brand.

Maybe just grab him next time I am back in UK, Rabbies jab him and passport...... addios to Germany with me (only down side would be him not being able to travelback to UK for 6 months after for the blood sample to come through Sad)

Glyn Sheep
Post #51777 8th Jan 2011 6:50pm
K9F

Glyn,

PM sent... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #51781 8th Jan 2011 6:51pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Sorry to hear the bad news, but with regards to diabilo I remember the your ex say she bought herself the cat which has made a mess of diabilo's tail and the dog was yours. So why does she now want the dog! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #51784 8th Jan 2011 6:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

BigRuss wrote:
So why does she now want the dog!

Spite probably!!! Pets and being in the Service don't mix! I think he should let it go and move on! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #51787 8th Jan 2011 6:55pm
Glynparry25

BigRuss wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news, but with regards to diabilo I remember the your ex say she bought herself the cat which has made a mess of diabilo's tail and the dog was yours. So why does she now want the dog!

Because I took the Dyson I bought 2 days ago... whilst I was putting it in the car she locked the door saying I can't get the dog. She is just doing it to 'get one over on me'

Glyn Sheep
Post #51788 8th Jan 2011 6:55pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:
BigRuss wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news, but with regards to diabilo I remember the your ex say she bought herself the cat which has made a mess of diabilo's tail and the dog was yours. So why does she now want the dog!

Because I took the Dyson I bought 2 days ago... whilst I was putting it in the car she locked the door saying I can't get the dog. She is just doing it to 'get one over on me'

Glyn Sheep

swap the dyson for the dog Thumbs Up
Post #51809 8th Jan 2011 7:49pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Just what i was thinking Twisted Evil
Post #51811 8th Jan 2011 7:57pm
Glynparry25

T1G UP wrote:
swap the dyson for the dog Thumbs Up

I wish it was that easy... would buy here a all singing all dancing hoover if it would mean I get my boy back.

She feels she has a right to the dyson, the dog, my laptop.... only thing she didn't want was the Defender....it is like she thinks we were married so what is mine is hers and what is hers is hers.

I have read all the legal jargon and it says I should have the dog.... just wondering if anyone has gone down this route and has advice.

I just don't want her to have it because she neglects it. Being a Lab, you put him out in the back garden alone and he will just sit at the back door waiting to come in (well he does).....

Whilst I was away he developed a habit of jumping up to people.... within 5 mins of being home I realised it was because people walking past the garden would call him, he jumps up on the fence (3' tall) and then he would get petted (rewarded) but the ex says 'It hasn't got anything to do with it- leave him out there for a few hours, he will exercise himself'.

Glyn Sheep
Post #51812 8th Jan 2011 7:59pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Glyn if it was me and i wanted the dog i'd take the dog simple...you live too far for her to come and get him back Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 9th Jan 2011 9:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #51815 8th Jan 2011 8:06pm
Glynparry25

fekete wrote:
Gly if it was me and i wanted the dog i'd take the dog simple...you live too far for her to come and get him back Thumbs Up

Yeah, I do think that but at the same time being in the forces opens you up to a whole new world of pain when you get on the wrong side of the law. Wish I was a private again so they wouldn't be able to bust me!!!

Glyn Sheep
Post #51816 8th Jan 2011 8:11pm
pom

If it was me I'd simply take the dog, legally its property, and you have proof that you bought it. End off.

The cops will have zero interest in it as it is a civil not criminal matter.

You mention 'when it goes to court', as your not married is your ex attempting to make a county court claim against you ? That will cost a shedload of money for her, unless there is a house involved I can't see it paying.

So she would have to prove to a Judge that the dog was her property which from what you have said would be impossible.

Just take it along with anything else thats yours that you could reasonably demonstrate to the beak if needed.

Courts take a very dim view of people playing silly Censored , I've won a couple of small claims actions over the years and have found Judges on the whole to be reasonable.

Pom
Post #51817 8th Jan 2011 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>