↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Springs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
RED-DOT wrote:
Wear is when something loses matierial causing failure and coil springs over time go weak but don't wear. I had a new TD5 that would bottom out with 500kgs in the back.

Semantics.

zinke, have a look at iron man. very good, not expensive. £65 a pair from west coats 4x4 (southport)
Post #51888 8th Jan 2011 11:22pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Just had a quick look at the Iron Man site and looks like they are all springs that give a lift?

Pete.
Post #51891 8th Jan 2011 11:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Zinke wrote:
bm52 wrote:
my 10MY came with HD springs - way to hard for my light loads so i have swapped them for standard road springs

i still have the HD springs just in case but to be honest i don't think i will be needing them in the future. the most i carry on the back is occaisionally 2 very large sons [one is 17+ stone rugby nut] and it does'nt drop much at the back as far as i can see.

apart from a smoother ride the only other difference is cornering, it cornered flatter with the HDs.

i put on -
90 4 seat station wagon (2400 Kg)
Rear - Driver's side RKB500290 Red/green/green
Rear - Passenger side RKB500280 Red/green/red

took off -
90 4 seat station wagon (2550 Kg)
Rear - Driver's side RKB500270 White/green/pink
Rear - Passenger side RKB500310 White/green/purple

Just another quick question, are the new ones you put on duel rate springs or not? Just looked at the puma manual and it says only the 90's with HD springs are duel rate but i thought it was all the CSW springs.

Many thanks

Pete.

i had great difficulty finding out details on the springs, in the end i trusted my local Indie and various comments on forums.

as far as dual rate goes all i can tell is my very scientific test consisted of me putting the old and new spring side by side on the ground and pushing it down and then standing on them. [i weigh 100kg] they both went down at a similar rate at first and then stiffened. the HD more so.

by this very technical and scientific test i came to the conclusion that the new road springs MAY be dual rate. obviously not a very conclusive test but the best i could come up with. Rolling Eyes

below is all the technical info i could find, example for 1 standard and 1 HD spring. note the difference in the weight between them! the metal spring on the HD is noticably thicker

Part No: RKB500280
Brand:  LAND ROVER
Description: Spring
Recommended Quantity: 1
Dimensions: 0.15 m x 0.39 m x 0.15 m
Weight: 5.13 kilo
Model Engine Year Qualifying Text
DEFENDER Td4 2.4 2007 - 2009 90 Drivers 3 door Station Wagon Red Green Red

Part No: RKB500310
Weight: 6.37 kilo
DEFENDER Td4 2.4 2007 - 2009 90 Passengers Heavy Duty Green Yellow White BM52
Post #51898 9th Jan 2011 12:47am
Zinke

bm52 wrote:
Zinke wrote:
bm52 wrote:
my 10MY came with HD springs - way to hard for my light loads so i have swapped them for standard road springs

i still have the HD springs just in case but to be honest i don't think i will be needing them in the future. the most i carry on the back is occaisionally 2 very large sons [one is 17+ stone rugby nut] and it does'nt drop much at the back as far as i can see.

apart from a smoother ride the only other difference is cornering, it cornered flatter with the HDs.

i put on -
90 4 seat station wagon (2400 Kg)
Rear - Driver's side RKB500290 Red/green/green
Rear - Passenger side RKB500280 Red/green/red

took off -
90 4 seat station wagon (2550 Kg)
Rear - Driver's side RKB500270 White/green/pink
Rear - Passenger side RKB500310 White/green/purple

Just another quick question, are the new ones you put on duel rate springs or not? Just looked at the puma manual and it says only the 90's with HD springs are duel rate but i thought it was all the CSW springs.

Many thanks

Pete.

i had great difficulty finding out details on the springs, in the end i trusted my local Indie and various comments on forums.

as far as dual rate goes all i can tell is my very scientific test consisted of me putting the old and new spring side by side on the ground and pushing it down and then standing on them. [i weigh 100kg] they both went down at a similar rate at first and then stiffened. the HD more so.

by this very technical and scientific test i came to the conclusion that the new road springs MAY be dual rate. obviously not a very conclusive test but the best i could come up with. Rolling Eyes

below is all the technical info i could find, example for 1 standard and 1 HD spring. note the difference in the weight between them! the metal spring on the HD is noticably thicker

Part No: RKB500280
Weight: 5.13 kilo
DEFENDER Td4 2.4 2007 - 2009 90 Drivers 3 door Station Wagon Red Green Red

Part No: RKB500310
Weight: 6.37 kilo
DEFENDER Td4 2.4 2007 - 2009 90 Passengers Heavy Duty Green Yellow White

Sorry should of said how to tell too! If you look at the coils of the spring, are they all the same distance apart (excluding the first and last turn of the spring) or are they tighter together at one end then the other?

Thanks

Pete
Post #51900 9th Jan 2011 12:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Pete, the iron mans will give a small lift by virtue of the increase in stiffness. any "lift" they give does not affect UJs etc etc.
Post #51901 9th Jan 2011 12:54am
Zinke

BigMike wrote:
Pete, the iron mans will give a small lift by virtue of the increase in stiffness. any "lift" they give does not affect UJs etc etc.

Thanks for the info but im really not looking for a stiffer spring, looking for a more comfy ride down the farm tracks.

Thanks.

Pete.
Post #51902 9th Jan 2011 12:56am
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
from memory the spring coils looked even on the stand road springs.

if you have a Puma i would suggest the 2400kg springs, much better on bumpy tracks but still firmer that my old 300 which probably had worn spring, shocks, bushes etc.

i also found that the tyre pressure makes a big difference on my 235 BFG ATs. i tried the rears at 30psi [had too much tyre wall bounce], similar with 35. settled on 38 which is the handbook recommendation. BM52
Post #51905 9th Jan 2011 1:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123