Home > Puma (Tdci) > Removal of air intake pipe 2.4 puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Removal of air intake pipe 2.4 puma
Hi

I've bought a Nakatanenga air intake kit that I am half way fitting. I need to remove the original moulded plastic pipe from the wing side to the air intake box.

What's the easiest way to get this out? Will it come out with the inner wing detached or does the wing side need to come off?

Help .. need this back the road by the end of the week and wishing I'd never started! Embarassed

Thanks 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #569961 10th Oct 2016 10:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Removal of airbox is easiest but you will need rivets to replace the drilled out ones Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #569972 10th Oct 2016 11:18pm
carrotbay

Hi Steve

The problem I have is getting the larger bit of the plastic moulding past the brake servo. Is it easy enough to remove the inner wing enough to get it past? 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #569975 10th Oct 2016 11:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Can't quite get my bearings exactly there but I know what you mean.

With various jiggery pokery you should get it out, others I think have been known to just chop it and bin instead.

I think it needs to be pushed down somewhat with the end nearer the front tilted up if that makes sense.

I know the damn thing was a sod to seal earlier this year much less remove, I've kept mine in situ but sealed with my Safari.
As tested there is little difference so long as rain separator is removed. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #569977 11th Oct 2016 12:02am
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
well

I have replace the factory air intake to the airbox and also fitted silicon hose.

the easiest way is, if you wish, to cut it. they are alll friction fitted there so just make two cuts and yank them out violently.... (in a summer day...)

by the way I have also taken out the airbox, but you have to disconnect the air con pipe first. once the pipi is disconnected, you can easily lift the airbox out after you free it from its three rubber mounts. you dont need to remove the rivet and reinstall the rivet using this method. but you will need to regas your air con.

yes I know it is illegal to vent the gas to the atmosphere, but hey, you can get the aircon gas cans almost every where. just my 2 cents.
cheers
Maritn
Post #569981 11th Oct 2016 2:33am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
The easiest way is to take the airbox out, this can be done without disconnecting the aircon pipe or drilling any rivets off, you just need some strength and alot of patience.

The airbox is secured with 4 rubber bushes, 2 on the bottom and 2 inside the wing, spray some form of lube on these the best you can and pull! be careful as there's not much room there and it can let go quite quickly.

Then the patience part comes in, now you have to work out how it comes out, I have done it many many times during the trial fitting of my one piece silicone intake pipe.

I think I broke 2 or maybe 3 airbox bottoms in the last 2 years of ownership due to getting a little frustrated whilst trying to get it out and getting it in isn't much better.

You can make it a little easier if you unbolt the bottom mount, these bolts can be accessed in the passenger wheel arch towards the front, on this though there is a bracket that holds the intercooler pipe so make sure this goes back on.

Once the airbox is out you need to remove the inner wing to outer wing bracket, you should then be able to manoeuvre the plastic pipe out.

While the airbox is out it would be worth while doing the airbox mod, there is a post on the forum detailing what this entails. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #569996 11th Oct 2016 7:47am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Why do that and risk breaking stuff when the rivets cost peanuts in comparison? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #570070 11th Oct 2016 5:13pm
Roy5695

ideas from many can sometimes give the solution to one.

There are many ways to skin a cat. You can decide whichever way you choose. I once got my airbox out and in, in about 10minutes. Another time it took me over an hour or so and broke the airbox. Both the same way. Must depend on how aligned the planets are. Rolling with laughter 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #570083 11th Oct 2016 5:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They aren't the best made things, mines broken just on the top edge.
I didn't do it myself so someibe knows something about it! Rolling Eyes

Luckily it's only a very edge and I no way affects the airbox, filter etc.

How much are they? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #570084 11th Oct 2016 5:47pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you don't have aircon and don't have ABS then getting the pipe out is a doddle. Thumbs Up
Post #570103 11th Oct 2016 7:08pm
Roy5695

I got both my replacement box's from a well known auction site for around 20 each. The dealers will only sell you the whole box for a ridiculous price, over 200 if I remember correctly. I also have two spare MAF meters now. Thumbs Up 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #570107 11th Oct 2016 7:27pm
carrotbay

Thanks for the replies.

I've had the air box out and back in again over the weekend to fit an adaptor for the new intake pipe. The dog learnt some new language in the process .. pig of a job. Managed to break a clip off the air box but no other damage apart from knuckles.

I've cut a couple of sections off the intake pipe but still not convinced it's going to come out without taking apart the wing or inner wing. I have air con and abs so it's pretty crowded. I'll have another look tomorrow evening. 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #570152 11th Oct 2016 9:40pm
Roy5695

It certainly comes out if you take the inner wing to outer wing bracket off. Mine came out in one piece and was replaced with a proper one piece.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #570157 11th Oct 2016 9:49pm
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
carrotbay wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I've had the air box out and back in again over the weekend to fit an adaptor for the new intake pipe. The dog learnt some new language in the process .. pig of a job. Managed to break a clip off the air box but no other damage apart from knuckles.

I've cut a couple of sections off the intake pipe but still not convinced it's going to come out without taking apart the wing or inner wing. I have air con and abs so it's pretty crowded. I'll have another look tomorrow evening.

there are screws on the atmosphere end of the intake. take those screws out and yank the ducts out. you can see where the sections overlap each other.
Post #570201 12th Oct 2016 7:22am
chinnus

2001 Defender 90 Td5 ST Coniston Green
Roy5695 wrote:
It certainly comes out if you take the inner wing to outer wing bracket off. Mine came out in one piece and was replaced with a proper one piece.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Roy where did you buy the silicon pipe from ?? Looks great

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #570267 12th Oct 2016 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>