↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another faulty VCV ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrMike

Greece 
Another faulty VCV ?
Hello.

My 110SW MY 2010 has done 128.000kms with every single one of them bringing a huge smile in my face.

During those 6 years the following problem occured (5-6 times). Important note is that NO FAULT CODES are stored or engine light on.

While driving (most of the times with 4th gear high ratio) the throttle pedal became unresponsive. The revs remained constant even if I pressed the pedal to the metal. During all those times the problem was solved when I started playing up and down with the throttle pedal or when I lowered gear to 3rd or 2nd. It was not solved instantly but after 3-4 attempts of this up and down procedure. Apart from the following driver's "unhealthy" reaction I didn't have any other problem and in my mind was saved as another LR aspect of its character.

During the last two weeks however, the same problem reappeared maybe 10 consecutive times which is too much and I realised that it started being unsafe. On top of that, there was two times when the idle was chasing up and down (500 - 800 rpm play). The second time, I had to press the throttle pedal in order to keep revs up because the engine was ready to stop going under 400rpm.

The tank was 1/4 full at that time and I thought that maybe it would help to fill it up. I did that and when I started the engine again with full tank it reacted as normal without any problems since then.

I searched a lot in the forum for similar problems and my first thought would be a faulty VCV.

Your help on that is highly appreciated since I am doing a "small" 1400km trip to Romania several times during the winter months for job and it will be a major problem if I break down during the night in some ex-Yugoslavian B-road.

So, is it the VCV? Is it something else? Is it the VCV AND something else?

Thank you very much in advance,

Mike
Post #569895 10th Oct 2016 3:58pm
hornet

Check http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic48773.html
Are these the same symptoms, only longer?

Why not changing the VCV as a preventive action, I think it's quite cheap....
Post #570208 12th Oct 2016 8:14am
lrMike

Greece 
Yes the symptoms are very similar but lasting much more than a second. Maybe 10 to 15 seconds.

I already ordered the vcv and the pressure release valve and I will post the results.

Thank you anyway
Post #570940 14th Oct 2016 10:36pm
hornet

Got new information for us? I always appreciate feedback if problems are solved or still remaining, it helps others ... Thumbs Up
Post #574894 2nd Nov 2016 5:51am
lrMike

Greece 
New information as requested !!

Just before changing my VCV I actually saved the parameters (using nanocom evolution) of a short trip hoping that the described problem would appear.

The conditions of the following diagrams are the following

1) Highway driving with only one driver and the tank half full.

2) As you can see from the 9th minute until 10:15 the throttle pedal is pressed to the metal (100 %)

3) However revs remain around 1800 – 1850 rpm

4) My speed remains between 80 and 84 kms/h

5) Here comes the interesting point. The comon rail pressure starts from 1000bar and does not increase at all. However it actually decreases a bit at about 900bar. During another trip where everything was normal the common rail pressure with full throttle was between 1400 and 1500 bar.

Click image to enlarge

My first step was to change the VCV. I tried to figure out how this could be done by myself but seemed to me nearly impossible to access the two hex bolts without taking the intake manifold out. So I took it to the dealer to change it for me.

After about 200kms the response is perfect without any problems at all. The car seems to pull even better. The faulty VCV degraded the engine's performance even whenever it was not causing major problems like the one described above or the idle hunting.

Last edited by lrMike on 5th Nov 2016 9:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #575078 3rd Nov 2016 1:28am
hornet

Perfect analysis, congratulation! Where did you get the software from, I also own a nanocom but used to work with excel; not very comfortable....
Post #575571 5th Nov 2016 6:32am
lrMike

Greece 
Thank you my friend.

I believe this forum is all about helping each other.

The software is free from the nanocom website. Its called nanocom CSV viewer. Nothing special.
Post #575688 5th Nov 2016 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1