↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender’s Arrival Pushed Back To 2019 (maybe)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Defender’s Arrival Pushed Back To 2019 (maybe)
Almost a carbon copy of an earlier post pushing it back to 2018.

Is it proof that JLR are having issues on all fronts with the new Defender? is the latest internal battle over where to build it?

"The Land Rover Defender just ended production after 68 years, and we shouldn’t expect to see a successor to the venerable off-roader on sale until 2019. According to Autocar citing unnamed insiders, the automaker doesn’t even know where to build the next one yet. Some officials are pushing to assemble the new model outside of the UK, like at the factory in Slovakia, but others want to retain the model’s legacy of construction in Britain.

Land Rover’s leaders have felt the pressure to get the new Defender on the road because of the model’s long history in the range, according to Autocar. However, the company has been unable to make a decision about how to bring the vehicle back.

The DC100 concept signaled a way forward when it debuted in 2011, but the automaker scrapped those plans in 2013. Reports now suggest we might not see another concept until 2018.

Land Rover wants to increase Defender volume from about 20,000 annually for the previous version to 100,000 for the new one. To make that possible, the company reportedly plans to push the model upmarket and make it more civilized. The next Defender would remain roughly the same size as the outgoing vehicle but have no resemblance to the DC100 concept. An anonymous insider told Autocar that design director Gerry McGovern “now knows what the new Defender will look like”, but the person didn’t offer any further details.

The push for increased volume could mean the Defender’s welcome return to the US. Land Rover would likely continue to offer the SUV in a variety of wheelbase lengths and bodystyles to suit customers’ desires. Now, the company needs to make the final decisions to make this promising comeback a reality."

http://telosautos.com/land-rover-ponders-w...-defender/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-land-rove...91018.html
Post #505414 17th Feb 2016 9:02am
Bristol 90XS

England 
2018 is 70 years since the original in 1948...

I believe this is why it is being delayed to 2018 but won't be later...
Post #505616 17th Feb 2016 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Yeah Supacat, agree with all that you say.
Sometimes I wonder if JLR know which direction to take with the "New" Defender. Like I said, I do "wonder", but in truth, they'd HAVE to have it pretty much "finished" now, wouldn't they?
With all these "delays", as there's going to be a fair old gap between "old & new", should the "new" vehicle have a "new" name?......if it's far removed from what we know as Defender, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Pickles.
Post #505640 17th Feb 2016 9:44pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
It's going to be called the Series V... you heard it here first Laughing
Post #505697 18th Feb 2016 1:15am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #505706 18th Feb 2016 4:01am
Supacat

More on the story here - or rather a different angle suggesting the delays may be down to the "new model’s business case is a difficult one to pass the board".

"Since development costs are a thorn in the crown of any car project, discouraging sales projections could further delay the beloved Defender. After all, the viability of the Defender project is under question, according to insiders, because of its estimated sales volumes."

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2019-lan...z40VgzuVtd
Post #505749 18th Feb 2016 9:28am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Personally I think that JLR are heading in a dangerous direction... Their vehicle profile is looking very narrow... You have the Range Rover at the top of the pile, Then 2/3 vehicles based on the Freelander (Evoke and Disco sport)... The only real differential is the price category...
So with the advent of yet another competitor in the F-Pace from the same group, Just how many variations on this basic theme will the market stand (not to mention the competition... Although not in pure off road terms you have Mercedes, BMW and Audi, Jeep all competing for the same market. Not to mention others)
So with the decision not to enter the commercial market (my opinion here), You have to wonder how they can build a 'Defender' replacement and where it would fit without "devaluing the brand"...

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #505770 18th Feb 2016 11:00am
Supacat

Morepower wrote:
Then 2/3 vehicles based on the Freelander (Evoke and Disco sport)...

I thought the Disco Sport is on the new steel D6 platform, Evoque is currently on the old Freelander EU-CD platform but due to change over in 2018. Interestingly, the DC100 was on the D6 platform and so could still have a life of it' own away from the main Defender.

It seems modern production is about niche marketing, spinning as many models as possible out of the same platform and having the production flexibility to build different models on the same production line.

That's exactly where JLR are aiming.

Last edited by Supacat on 18th Feb 2016 12:17pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #505788 18th Feb 2016 12:05pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
"....To make that possible, the company reportedly plans to push the model upmarket and make it more civilized...."

Um, so that's a Discovery then? Whistle

It'll just be yet another JLR blob. Don't get me wrong, I like their blobs, the Sport and RR particularly so, but why yet another just to target 100,000 sales? Oh, I've answered my own question.... Crying or Very sad Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #505789 18th Feb 2016 12:06pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Morepower wrote:
Just how many variations on this basic theme will the market stand
Tim

About 4000 if the model variations at Audi and Beemer are anything to go by... Shocked Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #505790 18th Feb 2016 12:07pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I really believe there is a gap in the market that the new Defender could own!!

If I could not have my current Defender I would seriously consider one of the double cab pickups now available; Hilux, Ranger, Amorak, etc. In fact my brother is doing just that as he is just too tall for a Defender.

BUT I prefer a short wheelbase and closed in back...

So come on Land Rover make a decent utility truck with low range/diff lock and not too much bling and I am sure they will sell more than enough to keep the bean counters happy.
Post #505800 18th Feb 2016 12:58pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
You have to congratulate J.L.R. on their marketing strategy for the Defender replacement haven't you? what could be better keep a very tight lip on whats going on with the development and future release date whilst the World waits with baited breath and cheque book in hand whilst J.L.R. get masses of free advertising by the Media and punters speculating on who said what and whet the vehicle will eventually look like. I wonder how many people have put a deposit down for a the replacement vehicle without having a clue what it will look like?

Uncas
Post #505808 18th Feb 2016 1:41pm
Supacat

Here's a different spin
I hope it's wrong when it suggests:

"the new Defender will undoubtedly ride on an existing JLR platform, likely the ladder frame under the Land Rover Discovery 4, or LR4 as its otherwise known. This will retain its hard-core off-road abilities furthered by four-wheel independent suspension, a traditional transfer case and longitudinally oriented drivetrain."

The T5 platform is now obsolete and so would be bizarre if JLR kept it for a new model whilst having moved both the Disco and RRS off of it by then.

http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-news/...72524.html
Post #506374 20th Feb 2016 10:58am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Been told the last D4 commercials finish in the next month, so JLR will have NO commercial vehicles for sale until the new defender arrives. Shocked
Post #506728 21st Feb 2016 4:52pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I would be very surprised if LR ever build another commercial vehicle... It just doesn't fit their market demographic... We may see a new 'Defender'... However I feel it'll be a lifestyle toy... Built as a feeder to the more expensive LR/RR products... Sort of a LR light class... Pricing will be an issue... Too high and it'll take away sales of the Evoke/Disco sport and too low and it will de-value the brand....
LR are all about image and sales... A few keen enthusiasts like ourselves don't make up much of a market...Especially when you consider that, even with commercial sales of the 'Current' Defender. LR struggled to make more than 20000 a year in sales...
I, like everyone on here would love to see a new LR that follows the tradition of a utility workhorse capable of just about going anywhere... However, I don't see it actually happening unfortunately..

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #506904 22nd Feb 2016 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>