Home > In Car Electronics > Wiring ideas with a cheap ebay tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alastaid

United Kingdom 
Wiring ideas with a cheap ebay tracker
Hi,

I have one of those cheap ebay trackers that uses a GiffGaff sim, and on the whole I am really pleased with it. However, realistically I suspect its best value will be for a fairly short period after the car has been broken into, no matter how hard I have tried to hide it, I think a seasoned villain will find it. Which got me thinking, one of the most valuable things it can do is to text me if the alarm has gone off. I am usually fairly near the car, so if it went off I can at least high tail it back to the car.

So the tracker has an "arm" function, and I can hook it up to the door switches, but my question is rather than using the door switches is there a wire that I can break into that goes to +12v when the standard alarm is triggered.

My thinking is, this way I get all the door sensors instead of just two, and I get the interior ultrasonic thing as well. Even if they have successfully disabled the horn and siren, the alarm will still trigger when they break in, hence send me a text and I have a chance to get to it.

Is my thinking sound, and if so is there an easy wire to break into to detect the standard alarm triggered?

Cheers

Alastair
Post #564268 15th Sep 2016 7:53pm
andyace

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Baltic Blue
the one that hoes to the alarm siren?
Post #565139 19th Sep 2016 7:31pm
chrisb

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had a tracker on mine that used the giff gaff sim.
Not sure if its the same one, but I could set a vibration level trigger that was sensitive enough to text when any of the doors were closed.

I couldn't get it to do it on opening the doors, so it might have all been too late should the worst have happened. I only used it once, as you have to text the tracker to turn this on and off, otherwise, you got multiple text alerts when you forget to disarm it Shocked
Post #566677 26th Sep 2016 11:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't see why you shouldn't use the AS10 output that usually drives the non-BBUS siren, since as far as i know this is present and wired in the vehicle harness whether a BBUS is fitted (in which case it has nothing connected) or not (in which case it has a horn-like sounder fitted).

The only downside of this is that generally when a villain breaks into a Defender now he does it without setting off the alarm, in which case the tracker wouldn't be activated anyway. You might be better off with a door-switch-activated system, since sooner or later they are bound to open a door to enter the vehicle.
Post #566679 26th Sep 2016 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1