↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Defender 90 LS/6L80 conversion. step by step!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Watching this with interest Thumbs Up Great stuff Bow down
Paul 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
2004 110 TD5 Double cab. *GONE*
2010 110 2.4 XS station wagon
Post #564571 16th Sep 2016 11:19pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
psimpson7 wrote:
Hi Pickles,

Mechanical Engineering is my background, and I am still in that industry.

In terms of how I learnt, I was lucky growing up and learnt a lot of stuff from my Dad on our farm in the UK, and I have a habit of just trying things and see what happens. I've had heaps of cars over the years that have required 'dedicated' ownership including a Caterham Superlight R and a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo so I am used to getting stuck in!

Some of this project has been quite easy so far, but some has been quite hard!

I have spent the last 2 hours with the entire bulkhead wiring loom in bits in the front room removing the 10as unit and associated wiring, the now redundant OBD2 port and its wiring and as much stuff as I can that I think I wont need. I think I have about another 10 hours work to go on that! I wonder if I may get frustrated and just start a new loom, but I don't particularly enjoy wiring so I will see how I get on!

"mechanical Engineering"?...That says a lot, and it shows!
I have a very good friend who is a mechanical engineer,...He is the Chief Engineer for the Holden Racing Team!
Thanks, Pickles.
Post #564576 17th Sep 2016 12:12am
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
Bow down Bow down

Ill be following this thread with interest.

Glen "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #564582 17th Sep 2016 3:40am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Brilliant thread and one I'll also be watching with interest.
Post #564593 17th Sep 2016 8:45am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Thanks everyone!

Ok, I am basically waiting on parts at the moment.

I have had some stuff arrive today.

New sump for the 6L80 which holds about 1.7litres more than the factory sump

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Wide mouth filter:

Click image to enlarge

Throttle Pedal:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In terms of actual progress, I am still removing unnecessary stuff from the main bulkhead loom and moving a few bits and pieces.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #565269 20th Sep 2016 6:53am
DMuppetTd5

Australia 
Now that's nice!
Good to see something happening on your truck again Very Happy Engage low range and solve problems.
01 Td5 D2 auto
Post #565548 21st Sep 2016 12:08pm
Peter Td4

Belgium 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
I'm going to watch this topic, just awesome Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Peter,

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Puma
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
Post #565593 21st Sep 2016 4:37pm
psimpson7

Hey Muppet! hows it going?

Only a very slight update but I have the steel work for the engine mounts so I have briefly tacked them together and have the engine and box sat in the car on all its mounts. I havent finally welded them all up yet just in case I need some slight changes to its position, although the mounts are slotted so I have about 10mm adjustment left / right if needed.

Click image to enlarge

Oh and I also have the correct length serpentine belt fitted as that arrived. 6pk1980

I have been fiddling about with other jobs including cleaning the inside. I think I am going to put the puma seats from my Stage 1 v8 into this and put the td5 seats from this in the Stage 1.

I may order some dynamat to put on the firewall / footwells / seatbox but I am worried about trapping water under it causing other issues. Difficult call as when its used its normally for big trips. Ie 8500km in 16 days. Hopefully the LS will be a lot quieter than the TD5 with billet flywheel was. I do wonder how much heat is going to be generated however.

Still waiting on the looms and getting the ECM/TCM back, but they safely made it to Speartech last week.

I may change the engine sump / pick up and baffle this week as I have that here.

I also separated the 2 skins of the foot wells to sort out a small amount of rust. That was not a fun job. I appreciate the amount of effort the spot welder had put in..... :?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #566879 27th Sep 2016 7:00am
DMuppetTd5

Australia 
Things are good, trying to find a 110 over here that's in a usable condition and not stupid money! May be waiting a while Whistle

Back to your thread:

As an alternative to lots of sound or heat proofing, perhaps something like raptorliner?
I understand some of the paints people use for the wheel arches on Defenders have chunks of rubber in them and it seems to do well for sound insulation. I was chatting to Justin Cooper about this very topic and he shared your concerns of water harbouring, but it seems that plenty of people have fitted dynamat and similar without too many issues, perhaps put insulation where you're happy to get to it if needed without removing half the car, and raptorliner or similar elsewhere? Engage low range and solve problems.
01 Td5 D2 auto
Post #566901 27th Sep 2016 8:46am
psimpson7

Finding good cheap Defenders is hard. We found a decent rust free 110 300 tdi a couple of years ago that a mate bought but that needed a gearbox rebuild. Still, that's a lot easier than removing rust from everywhere.

The spray on coatings are an option, but in my mind look awful, especially when people paint entire cars in it, and it must be a nightmare to remove!

Heard from Speartech this morning. Looms and Ecus are done. They should be posted Thursday (US time, so sometime overnight here tonight) with an estimated arrival of 3-5 days.

I'm expecting to get phoned by customs to pay Duty and GST so this wont be a cheap exercise! 2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #567505 29th Sep 2016 6:37am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Dynamat shouldn't hold water, the backing is like sealant anyway, plus the heat that you're concerned about will soon dry any moisture.
I have Roadkill (dynamat alternative) on the bulkhead and footwells on the engine side and a raptor type liner on the inner footwells, I'm hoping it will keep it quiet.
Post #567507 29th Sep 2016 7:08am
psimpson7

Cheers Greeni,

Hit my first real issue today.

My engine is an L77 which has the Displacement on Demand. I was prepared for one problem when turning around the inlet manifold with the oil pressure switch being on a riser on the closing plate.

However its possibly slightly more involved because of the DOD.

The oil that comes up to the pressure switch is then fed back down and along the top of the 4 De-ac lifters.

This is the cover plate with the oil pressure riser that gets in the way of the throttle body. next to it is the plug for the DOD De-ac lifters. You can see the raised section that goes along the middle in the casting which is the path the oil takes on its return from the pressure switch

Click image to enlarge

So this is with the inlet and cover plate off.

Click image to enlarge

And this is the underside of the cover plate:

Click image to enlarge

Here is the return from the pressure switch:

Click image to enlarge

Now looking at the same plate on the LS2 pics I can find it appears that the oil pressure riser just goes to the switch and is blind. I am confirming this at the moment Also the oil feeds that went to the lifters are blocked. I found the next few pics online.

This image from a guy on another forum shows the path of the oil.

And this one shows the difference in where the oil goes when the de-ac lifter is deactivated and activated. To me it looks like when the de-ac lifters are activated electronically they allow the oil to bypass the lifter itself meaning the valves don't open atall, and at the same time it knows not to inject fuel.

I am trying to work out if with DOD disabled I can fit an LS2 closing plate and just block off the oil feed that was to the pressure switch without causing any issues, or if the the oil is required at the top of the De-ac lifters even if they are disabled, along with if any issues would be caused by blocking off the 8 oil drillings that come from the lifters if I for now leave it with the DOD lifters in place. They are blocked on the cars without DOD by seals in the closing plate as can be seen in one of the pics above.

2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #567787 30th Sep 2016 11:27am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
I tried to turn my manifold as well on my L98 (that was in 2007/0Cool and had the same problem. I ordered my engine as crate and asked to have the DOD deactivated. I don't know what they did to be honest. The other problem I faced whilst thinking about having the manifold facing backwards was extensive cutting into the bulkhead. Ended up running a 4' with a 180deg elbow. m

Click image to enlarge
Post #568566 4th Oct 2016 11:36am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Can I see that whole truck please?
Post #568673 4th Oct 2016 8:14pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
If your ECU supports DoD it might be worth keeping it, there are some pretty impressive claims around the saving in fuel consumption that it offers - I don't have it on mine but given the amount of time the engine spends not doing very much having it running on 4 cylinders would be quite useful at times !

The DoD stops the valves from opening, activating just before the exhaust stroke so that, the theory says, the compressed gas acts as a "spring" helping offset the lost power during compression by assisting the piston on the down stroke.

If you do remove it, could you not just change the followers and push rods for standard ones ? http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #568684 4th Oct 2016 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>