↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > LED lights damaged imobiliser??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jlprojects

Wales 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
LED lights damaged imobiliser??
Can anyone help, I fitted LED lights to my puma. shortly after the installation it would not start, just turned over and never kicked into life. Next step Land Rover Assist, next day transported to the local dealer. I'm now told that because I fitted the LED lights it caused a short and destroyed the imobiliser unit. I think it is b***s**t, the same dealer has told me that the ECU needs replacing after it went in for a service, it has not been right since the service. Now he wants to charge for one of his technicians to work Saturday. But, the famous but, he will not say that it will fix the fault by replacing the imobiliser.
To me it is simple, but I'm no expert. first by-pass the unit, if the dealers fault finding is correct the puma should start, if it will not start then it's something else. John
Post #48129 10th Dec 2010 6:28pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
sounds fishy

i've fitted leds all round, no problem and the ones out of the factory with rear leds have exactly the wiring.
Post #48132 10th Dec 2010 6:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jlprojects

Hi nicks, I bought the lights from "mobilecentre" plug and play. I've had nothing but grief with the dealer and I've only had the Land Rover for a few weeks, my first Land rover. So far it's not good, I travel to East Europe for work so I went to the dealer thinking it would be a high cost but the job would be right. More fool me. John
Post #48133 10th Dec 2010 6:57pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Dealers are always the problem...i mean yes there could be a fault (prior or with the new lights) but this is the problem with none LR parts - you need to prove it wasnt the fault...dealers will always be looking for a way out.

Imobiliser doesnt take much to fit, but costs to programme Mike
Post #48134 10th Dec 2010 7:10pm
jlprojects

MSE, I think my problem is that I spent a lot of money at the dealers to supply and fit extras. They constantly changed date and did not order parts. My schedule was tight as I was travelling from Poland to the UK. Basically I now have no faith at all in what they tell me. They are very good at taking your hard earned money, but do not offer a proffesional service. Also I cannot understand how fitting LED's will short circuit the Imobiliser. John
Post #48137 10th Dec 2010 7:18pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
so go to a different dealer.
Post #48138 10th Dec 2010 7:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
There are some good dealers.

Im not saying your lights did...or didnt, im saying anything could be possible - but when it comes to it get them to state how the damage occured and argue it Mike
Post #48141 10th Dec 2010 7:29pm
jlprojects

Hi Big Mike, I get back to the UK about 2 maybe 3 times a year. Flights are twice a week and ferry back to Rotterdam and drive up to Poland. Not a lot of choice really! What I do expect is a decent proffessional service for the money I pay. Not bitching at you, just very very disgruntled at forking out hard earned money for sub standard service and being feed S*** John
Post #48142 10th Dec 2010 7:29pm
jlprojects

Hi mse, I agree, I have asked for the imobiliser if they do change it. I plan to have it tested to verify if it is damaged and how in thier opinion it was damaged. At the end of the day I just want the Land Rover to run and be reliable. I'm hoping thaat someone may be able to help with this as I cannot see the LED's causing the problem. John
Post #48143 10th Dec 2010 7:34pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
fair enough. I saw your location as Wales and assumed it wouldnt be an issue
Post #48145 10th Dec 2010 8:12pm
jlprojects

Hi Big Mike,
I jacked in my job in the UK about 3 years ago and went to contracting. I'm due to go to Russia to work in March, about 500 KM NW of moscow, not good if my Land Rover is not reliable. I bought the Land Rover off my brother a few weeks ago and he has been doing the work on it for me. So I have spent a fortune on it so far with one dealer. Nearly 5K so far and I've has serious issues with the dealer postponing dates. I plan on using Bell Auto Services and get a stage 2 tune and a few more mods early Feb. So I will drive over from Poland as it needs a MOT, then drive to russia. John
Post #48146 10th Dec 2010 8:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Certainly think you are being fed a load of BS.

Have LEDs on our Puma and no problems.

Now if a standard light bulb shorted out would that kill the ECU? Somehow I doubt it

Brendan
Post #48149 10th Dec 2010 8:53pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
jlprojects after reading this thread and thinking about what we talked about today on the phone re diagnostics etc.

I actually think that rarther than the BBS FCR or fault code reader, you really need the Faultmate MSV2, picture in the link, https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/images/tn/HW018.jpg

I think this will serve you better than buying the BAS interface for the tuning and the FCR seperatly because.........

It will give you while connected to a pc full diagnostics and module programming where as the FCR will only read and clear fault codes.
This model will also work in standalone mode without a pc for fault codes but giving the full description of them etc
It will also give you the capeability to program my tuning files, which can paid for via the BBS web shop.

This for the puma with SM133 and a BAS tuned file may work out ever so slightly more than a buying seperatly the FCR & a BAS, but the tool you will have will be far more usefull to you when you are on your travels.

SM133 is the software number for the puma, as seen here
https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM133.html depending on your model and needs you may want to add the Wabco ABS module and the Lucas 10AS alarm module as covered by software modules SM033 and SM031 as addons.

If you need any more info give me another call and we can chat more, i generally have this in stock.

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 10th Dec 2010 9:27pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #48151 10th Dec 2010 9:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jlprojects

Hi Leeds,
LED's are 12 Volt and lower wattage, so not sure. John
Post #48155 10th Dec 2010 9:23pm
jlprojects

Hi pete, Good t otalk today, let me have the cost, I'll send you my address in Lodz, Poland. I fly into the UK tomorrow, late. I'll check your site now and place an order to be delivered to my UK address. Once again thanks for the sound advice. John
Post #48156 10th Dec 2010 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>