Home > Technical > Help with my 2.2 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Clifford the Big Red Defender

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Help with my 2.2 Puma
Hi all,

Relatively new to defenders and working on cars.

Some background:-
After going off roading and the subsequent clean before Christmas (not sure if the off roading could have caused this?!?!) my 2.2 puma threw an engine warning light.

I got the error code read which said the problem was the MAF sensor being out of range. To cut a long story and a few annoying drives short, I've tried cleaning the sensor and fully replacing the sensor and am still getting the error code. I have attached pictures of the error codes as well as the freeze frame (this was after a 10min is drive this morning where it went into limp mode).

Do any of you smart landy people have some other things to try? If I can help it, I'd like to fix it myself but if we think it needs to go into the shop then 🤷🏼‍♂️

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Clifford the Big Red Defender on 4th Jan 2024 9:53am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #1020060 4th Jan 2024 8:32am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Welcome Smile No pictures Smile After uploading a picture you need to click on it to add it to your post Smile

Have you closely checked the wiring on the back of the MAF connector for chafing?
Post #1020062 4th Jan 2024 9:26am

Ahh I was wondering why the photos weren't uploading. Hopefully have added them now.

I haven't looked too closely, although did think it looks a little janky. I'll try and get a photo later, is there something I should look our for?
Post #1020068 4th Jan 2024 9:54am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
The only odd looking pid is the %.. load
If that's the engine load it can't be right next to the other readings.. The ones I can relate to anyway..
I can't remember how freeze frame data of the pid's are selected.. I seem to recall that you select the ones you want to view..
Anyhow.. Things to try would be the map sensor cleaning, as well and try looking at the air cleaner for condition and the intake pipe etc..
Post #1020084 4th Jan 2024 12:30pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
After checking the maf wiring I would look at the hoses from airbox to turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to metal pipe and metal pipe to inlet manifold , this latter one is a small 90degree elbow and prone to getting a hole in it on the 2.2. Check the clamps as well.
The intercooler does split as well at the crimp seams on the side, this can create a whooshing sound you should be able to hear while stationary with window down and revving the engine.
Any of these can give your fault code.

See this topic as well https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82435...ntercooler
Post #1020085 4th Jan 2024 12:34pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Clifford the Big Red Defender wrote:

I haven't looked too closely, although did think it looks a little janky. I'll try and get a photo later, is there something I should look our for?

Found it: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74109.html
Post #1020105 4th Jan 2024 3:39pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Just to add my 2p's worth, I've had this fault a few times, twice it was a holed turbo to intercooler pipe where the pipe had rubbed against the steering column UJ, and once was a split intercooler on the plastic end

Click image to enlarge

It was however really awkward to spot with the intercooler still in situ as it is sandwiched between the air and cooling rads 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1020122 4th Jan 2024 5:44pm

Thanks guys. Had a read through your various posts and links to other posts.

Seems like it's a fairly common annoying problem. Having checked the connector it seems OK? Hopefully have posted a picture now.

I will check for whooshing noises and other sensors at the weekend. Hopefully its an easy fix!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020234 5th Jan 2024 6:06pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
On the 2.2 a bracket was fitted to keep the turbo to intercooler hose off the steering column and other protrusions , however it’s still worth checking. With wheels on ground slide under front offside ( driver side) and look up with a torch, you can see if there has been rubbing / a hole and feel for a gap between hose and steering column.

On the nearside from under the vehicle you should be able to see the 90 degree hose elbow to the inlet manifold and potentially feel for a split, however it’s surrounded by lots of hoses and components so not easy to do.

The intercooler crimped seams are harder to view as stated above, but easier to do with front grill removed, which is easy to do as it’s only a few screws. Look for black soot and the crimped seam failing as per picture above from Rosco.
Post #1020243 5th Jan 2024 7:31pm

On a quick look over this weekend, there seems to be a high pitch hissing sound from roughly under the passenger side light cluster. It seems more obvious/louder when under acceleration. I think this has something to do with the turbo or intercooler. Can the MAF sensor error code be this? I will have another route around, I am hoping its as simple as a loose hose not a broken intercooler!
Post #1020488 8th Jan 2024 9:03am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Sounds more like the Intercooler to me. Sad
Post #1020494 8th Jan 2024 10:05am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just what I was thinking, I am sorry to say!
Post #1020511 8th Jan 2024 1:06pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Clifford the Big Red Defender wrote:
On a quick look over this weekend, there seems to be a high pitch hissing sound from roughly under the passenger side light cluster. It seems more obvious/louder when under acceleration. I think this has something to do with the turbo or intercooler. Can the MAF sensor error code be this? I will have another route around, I am hoping its as simple as a loose hose not a broken intercooler!

Yes that will give you the MAF error code you are getting.
Check the nearside hose from the intercooler to the metal pipe to see it is seated correctly on the Intercooler and metal pipe, that clamps are tight and it is not split or holed. Noting I’ve not heard of a split or hole in this hose before. If the hose is ok and clamped correctly and you are sure the hissing sound is coming from near the nearside ( passenger side) light cluster area it will be a a failed intercooler. Likely to be at the crimped seam.

If you have aircon the IC is sandwiched between the aircon condenser at the front and the coolant radiator behind it. The good news is it is not that hard to replace. I have done it on my 2.2 and I and others can provide instructions.

Regarding a new intercooler I recommend the BAS high flow intercooler, it is well made, perfect fit and will very likely never need replacing. You can fit new silicon hoses at the same time but that will add cost and complexity, and the 90 degree elbow is fiddly, but again I and others have done so and can provide instructions.
Post #1020520 8th Jan 2024 1:56pm

Oh that's annoying!

On a scale of complete newbie to defenders to hardened engineer how hard is it to replace? Does anyone have any workshop manuals that I could look at?

I did remember before I initially replaced the MAF sensor I had this error code. Does that shed any more light on it? or defo confirm its a broken intercooler?

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020571 8th Jan 2024 6:28pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It’s not a massive job to replace the intercooler, it’s only nuts and bolts, but…
The wings are obviously mounted on the production line after the cooling pack is fitted so you’ve got to fiddle about removing the mounting studs.
The intercooler is mounted between the air con and cooling rads. Can be removed without draining them down, but your constrained by their respective hoses
The air box is in the way and can be a swine to remove
Getting the intercooler hoses back on can be a pig unless you have child like hands

But other than that, doodle of a job Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Here’s a picture I took whilst I watched my brother swap mine 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1020597 8th Jan 2024 11:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>