↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > exhaust white smoke
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
holdingpoint

Italy 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
exhaust white smoke
Dear friends, yesterday during a travel across Switzerland I experienced a strange white smoke coming out from the exhaust of my MY 08 defender. All happened during a descent in a highway from an alpine pass (1625 mt. asl) the temperature outside was (-5 degree celsius) I was descending in 6th gear at 80 Km/h without accelerating with the engine well warm, ( I was travelling since 1 hour and the water temperature was in the middle of instrument range). After 10 minutes of descent without accellerating, I suddendly accelerate and a white smoke like vapor was coming out from exhaust, like when you start the engine in a cold day, the smoke disappeared when i released the accellerator. What does it mean? Am I the only case?
I already did the Q068V5 upgrade
Post #21211 4th Jan 2010 4:14pm
dgardel

Italy 
Re: exhaust white smoke
holdingpoint wrote:
Dear friends, yesterday during a travel across Switzerland I experienced a strange white smoke coming out from the exhaust of my MY 08 defender. All happened during a descent in a highway from an alpine pass (1625 mt. asl) the temperature outside was (-5 degree celsius) I was descending in 6th gear at 80 Km/h without accelerating with the engine well warm, ( I was travelling since 1 hour and the water temperature was in the middle of instrument range). After 10 minutes of descent without accellerating, I suddendly accelerate and a white smoke like vapor was coming out from exhaust, like when you start the engine in a cold day, the smoke disappeared when i released the accellerator. What does it mean? Am I the only case?
I already did the Q068V5 upgrade

It's normal it is vapor.

Like mine when I run on the Alps.

During a hill down the exhaust pipe came cold, and when you push the
Throttle the warm gas produce vapor..... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #21215 4th Jan 2010 5:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
holdingpoint

Thanks again dgardel!
Just to know, Is it happen also to you during a descent after a cold start up with engine cold and in 3th gear (engine brake) that some light blue smoke go out from exhaust?
Post #21278 5th Jan 2010 1:51pm
dgardel

Italy 
holdingpoint wrote:
Thanks again dgardel!
Just to know, Is it happen also to you during a descent after a cold start up with engine cold and in 3th gear (engine brake) that some light blue smoke go out from exhaust?

yes, mine smoke was white vapor.... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #21280 5th Jan 2010 2:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
holdingpoint

It happen again! worst!Evil or Very Mad

Today I went out with local club on the mountain unfortunately the weather was terrible heavy fog frozen rain, very dumpy weather!
On they way back we went down on sky trail, I decided to engage first low gear, during the long descent (40 minutes)in order to use engine brake.
After 15 minutes during descent the coolant temperature dropped to minimum.
When finally I arrived at the descent end on plain, I disingaged low gear, and start too drive normally on normal street, after a couple of minutes a white dense smoke like a vapour train came out from exhaust, I stopped and also at the minimum smoke came out. It stops smoking and all turned normal when after some minutes when I accelerated.
The smoke was white dense heavy burnt smell.

I did all the ECU update and I changed two times EGR. Anyone soffered similar experience? Question
Post #44589 7th Nov 2010 10:31pm
holdingpoint

Anyone with an idea of what it is? Question
Post #44755 9th Nov 2010 2:52pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Check your sedimenter for water.
Post #44839 10th Nov 2010 12:48am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
NOt sure but quite normal on diesel engines. Some trucks use a blind-type cover when going downhill in cold climates. Anyway, the other day I heard a chap at the stealer complaining about the same issue (brand new). Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #44841 10th Nov 2010 1:22am
Peter Td4

Belgium 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
Couple of years ago when I was travelling with my camper (then on Ford base using same 2.4L engine) I also experienced this as I went over the Alps.
After a long climb to the summit of a pass (something like 2300m, don't remember exactly) we made a stop there for about one hour to have lunch.
When we started driving again downhill the amount of white smoke was just increadible.
Funny enough this was only visible when the accelerator was pressed down; when driving downhill and using the engine for braking nothing could be seen.

I reported this to my garage (Ford) but never got any decent explanation as to what could have caused this.
At that time the vehicle was also quite new (about one year).

Never experienced this again Rolling Eyes.

Note that the outside temperature at the mountain pass was pretty cold (but not freezing).
Once the engine was warm again this white smoke stopped (could also have been because by then we reached much warmer air).
Post #44842 10th Nov 2010 2:51am
holdingpoint

Peter when it happened with your camper, can you remember if the similar vapour white smoke was also bad smell, like when you burn a plastic panhandle?
Post #44853 10th Nov 2010 9:55am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Even with normal temp on your engine, at downhill with 0 throttle, the amount of heat produced by minimum diesel injected producrs nearly no heat, so I guess it is cold diesel being coldy burned (plus vapour). I would no worry. I doubt any valve seal is wacked. Better ask a real diesel mechanic or LR customer. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #44861 10th Nov 2010 10:41am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
this has started happening with our 07 110 ...
Thick white smoke with a plastic smell till it warms up -no loss of power, no use of oil / coolant
air temp has been arround 0'c - but this is the first time I've seen it.
It's very embarrasing pulling away and watching the world vanish behind in the mirror!! Embarassed

Is condensation all it is?? Confused Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #49329 22nd Dec 2010 10:09am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
As mentioned have you checked for water in the fuel?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #49332 22nd Dec 2010 10:19am
dgardel

Italy 
wyvern wrote:
this has started happening with our 07 110 ...
Thick white smoke with a plastic smell till it warms up -no loss of power, no use of oil / coolant
air temp has been arround 0'c - but this is the first time I've seen it.
It's very embarrasing pulling away and watching the world vanish behind in the mirror!! Embarassed

Is condensation all it is?? Confused

At 0C it's impossible......

May be a bug on ECU SW for the injection advance table Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #49342 22nd Dec 2010 11:28am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
dgardel wrote:

At 0C it's impossible......

May be a bug on ECU SW for the injection advance table

Hi Danelle
how do I fix it??
or is it a dealer job....

Hi andrew - ok - How do we check for water in the traps ... (like where are the traps and how do I drain them,,,) I'm a bit green on the fixing stuff front..!

festive best wishes Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #49343 22nd Dec 2010 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>