↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Service Cost some info and a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Service Cost some info and a question
Right i thought i would help some of us regarding service cost as there isnt a fat lot of information. But in that a question...

The range in prices i have had within a 70 mile area is £330 - (sit down and hold on) £434.81 (yes for a glorified oil and filter change)

Most seem to be around the £360 - £370 mark to include all Labour, Vat, Parts (what else would a service be!)

My question(s)
1) What on earth takes them 2.2 hours?
but the real question is
2) How can there be such a difference between the highest (who was a more rural cheaper etc dealer) and the lowest ironically one of the premium located dealer.

I know I could get it serviced at a) my mates land rover garage b) another none lr dealership LR garage, but call me fickle i want the dealer stamp for the first 3 years.

(Oh by the way im having the service done early to ensure i dont have to have it done after christmas each year with 3 car tax and 3 car insurance policies...its only done 4755 miles! but its cheaper long term) Mike
Post #3366 28th Aug 2008 1:15pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: Service Cost some info and a question
mse wrote:
, but call me fickle i want the dealer stamp for the first 3 years.

Mike. suppose that's the cost of being fickle Shocked

Did mine myself, just like the Sport,, and still under warranty,, Rolling with laughter
But will agreed, why the variation in costs Exclamation California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #3377 28th Aug 2008 3:37pm
mse

TJ101 wrote:
mse wrote:
, but call me fickle i want the dealer stamp for the first 3 years.

Mike. suppose that's the cost of being fickle Shocked

Did mine myself, just like the Sport,, and still under warranty,, Rolling with laughter
But will agreed, why the variation in costs Exclamation

I know you cant keep the warranty and service it yourself (you can use any garage though as long as they stamp the book) ignoring the statement to that end - The family had a freelander and without going into the lengthy details of the problems - it hadnt been fully serviced by LR (one had been done by us) and if it wasnt for working at LR the warranty was about to be removed and the new engine charged.

The savour was that as 4 of the family worked there - they allowed it as we could prove the parts and experience to LR spec (something you wont be able to do) up shot was - new engine fitted under warranty and warranty extended.

I wont then mention the fact that when there was an engine fault 6k miles later the dealership tried to make out that engine hadnt been serviced, until we pointed out that for a new engine to be fitted they would have had to put new oils in the car and thus it was a serviced and that on engine time it wasnt due. Ho hum

That said the moment the 4yr warranty ended on the disco I serviced it myself - when in warranty it went to my mate for the stamp. All in it is worth them doing it.

Not that ill be doing it myself - i am interested in how you keep your warranty - if you are sure you do. Mike
Post #3378 28th Aug 2008 3:51pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
To be honest I would prefer to service it myself however I recently had my local independent LR place do the first one - the official cost to do the 12 month / 12,000 mile service with all genuine parts = £223.33 inc. vat. The service was carried out by a LR trained and time served technician with all wheels off and me present and sticking my ore in / checking stuff too. Book stamped and service schedule duly completed.

My nearest main dealer (who supplied the vehicle new) quoted £418.00 inc. Another main dealer that I have used in the past quoted £345.83. Silly prices for what is basically an oil / filter change + level check etc.
Post #3379 28th Aug 2008 4:02pm
mse

Miserableolgit wrote:

My nearest main dealer (who supplied the vehicle new) quoted £418.00 inc. Another main dealer that I have
used in the past quoted £345.83. Silly prices for what is basically an oil / filter change + level check etc.

Yes it is beyond belief. A good friend (as mentioned) owns his own LR buisness just down the road even at his full rate not the mates (or me) doing it rate he would undercut them by a minimum of 50%

Just thinking about it at £100pph 2.2 hours would be £240 Genuine filter is what £5 (i get them free) Oil at castrol well i get 8l for £20 so what are we talking £40 parts cost? £280 then for the actual work then the other £50 - £100 must be i dont know (i was going to say profit but £100ph the technicians only get paid £25ph at most anyway so after on cost 25% ish the there is a good £50 profit there! Mike
Post #3380 28th Aug 2008 4:09pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Presumably the additional cost is to cover the fancy showroom, snooty sales staff and umpteen tier management structure.
Post #3381 28th Aug 2008 4:19pm
TJ101

mse wrote:

Not that ill be doing it myself - i am interested in how you keep your warranty - if you are sure you do.

Yep 100% under warranty,, good job as well, as the Sport has needed it,, Shocked
Just happen to own a garage Whistle California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #3383 28th Aug 2008 4:35pm
mse

Rolling with laughter thats cheating (a little like me doing at my mates garage!) Mike
Post #3385 28th Aug 2008 4:48pm
TJ101

mse wrote:
(a little like me doing at my mates garage!)

Must be the best option, In this day and age, and certainly on a Defender, very much doubt if a full non-dealer history will affect the residual valve's California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #3386 28th Aug 2008 5:02pm
mse

TJ101 wrote:
Must be the best option, In this day and age, and certainly on a Defender, very much doubt if a full non-dealer history will affect the residual valve's

True, resale value isnt a worry yet as im planning to keep it for a while Mike
Post #3398 28th Aug 2008 5:45pm
mse

Just wanted to add - i telephoned the one that was best on the phone (used for parts before and family bought a car in the past from them)

They werent the cheapest - but they then offered to price match so with that and the great service so far - i hope thiey will be as good generally. Mike
Post #3449 29th Aug 2008 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1