↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma alarm NOT SOUNDING?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dmtben

United Kingdom 
Puma alarm NOT SOUNDING?
2008 2.4TDCI - The 15A fuse for my alarm (in the fuse box under the drivers seat) keeps blowing, yet the alarm can still be armed with the key fob, which makes the light on the dashboard flash quickly for 10 seconds, before settling down as normal. However if the alarm is intentionally set off, the horn does not sound and there is no audible alarm (apart from the sound of the relay clicking in an attempt to activate the indicators). The indicators work when used normally, as do the hazard lights and so does the horn, but none of the above work when the alarm is intentionally set off. I have tried replacing the fuse, but it instantly blew another one. Perhaps the BBUS has died? I am unsure of what else it could be. Thanks for any help.
Post #1016576 27th Nov 2023 9:51pm
dmtben

United Kingdom 
Bump (all out of ideas, please help!)
Post #1017457 4th Dec 2023 10:41pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Do you have central locking ? If so is it still working ? Is yours a 90 or 110 ?

Things to check.

Broken wires in the loom to each of the doors, this can cause a short and blow the fuse . It’s a common issue but I don’t think that’s the issue in this case but worth checking.

Water ingress into the 10AS alarm module. Remove the driver footwell speaker, look up and attached to the bulkhead you will see a green box, that’s the 10AS alarm module. It’s attached to the bulkhead with two screws and has two harness connectors going to it. You can remove the connectors and 10AS to see if there is any water ingress or corroded pins etc.

these diagrams will help.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...tem/active

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...em/passive

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/....4tdci-rhd

Last edited by Ianh on 5th Dec 2023 1:48pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1017467 5th Dec 2023 3:04am
dmtben

United Kingdom 
My defender is a 110 hard top, without central locking. I have a feeling you may be right about the door switches shorting out (this issue started after I had done some rust repair, including spraying rust inhibitor into the cavity they sit in). But I will also check the actual alarm module to see if the short is coming from that instead and will let you know. Thanks
Post #1017513 5th Dec 2023 1:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Assuming that the horn works normally, Check CJB Fuse 27 since this powers the horn when the alarm is sounding it. It might also be worth checking R200 (the alarm sounder relay) since this is probably what you can head clicking but is the thing that is actually causing the horn/sounder/BBUS to activate.

Do you have a BBUS fitted? If not, do you have an alarm sounder fitted?

I assume that the 15A fuse you mention is Fuse 6 (since this appears to be the only 15A fuse associated with the alarm system). If so, this provides power to the BBUS connector, the Alarm sounder relay, and the alarm ECU, so unfortunately there are many places where a short could cause it to blow. It is likely that the blowing of this fuse will mute the alarm.
Post #1017520 5th Dec 2023 2:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It’s not the door switch’s, as they just extend a negative earth to the 10AS, however there are positive wires in the loom to the pillars that serve the doors, and in the case of central door locking go from the pillars to the doors where they can fracture and short.

Ps. Don’t forget the rear door.

As BW states, check that relay and the wiring associated with fuse 6.
Post #1017525 5th Dec 2023 2:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1