↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > I met a Range Rover driving nutter today on the M56 Dash Cam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why were cars and a motorbike overtaking you on the inside?

Peter
Post #541380 18th Jun 2016 10:54pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I've seen worse, but I'm not sure it was that bad actually, sorry. I usually check my mirrors and move across to give way, we don't have priority routes like Europe

I would say that's likely to be a security convoy - in which case they wouldn't care Mike
Post #541443 19th Jun 2016 10:50am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
nitram17 wrote:
Thanks Gil.....Thats a good price and the pics look great how long does the memory card last?

I have fitted a 16Gb card and I reckon I get about four hours of constant recording you can if you wish set it to record in loops that wipe out the last recordings however should you be involved in an accident the video footage is locked so it cannot be recorded over unless you allow the unit to do so.

custom90steve wrote:
That Camera looks very good for the price!
Is it front and rear or just front?

Either, however to install it as a rear it would be easier if you had a rear power socket fitted.

Birdy wrote:
Why were cars and a motorbike overtaking you on the inside? Peter

They were not, they were overtaking my vehicle in the middle lane , watch again. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #541461 19th Jun 2016 12:17pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Defiantly looks like a security detail to me, to drive for them you need to be a competent driver and have to complete various advanced driving courses. So either the driver miss judged the lack of acceleration or he wasn't paying the correct attention to the road but was more focused on the packet he was trying to stick with. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #541479 19th Jun 2016 1:19pm
mse

He had plenty of room, a gap in front, hard shoulder clear escape route - so no major risk Mike
Post #541524 19th Jun 2016 3:22pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've seen worse too but as others have commented there is more to that group of vehicles than meets the eye. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #541527 19th Jun 2016 3:34pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
That is a security detail. The multi vehicle manoeuver for overtaking is demonstrated in that clip.

A defensive driving style adoped to maintain the security bubble around the mark vehicles. TY&GN
10 years in a WOLF, WIMIK and Snatch and this is all I have to show!
Post #541550 19th Jun 2016 5:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"They were not, they were overtaking my vehicle in the middle lane , watch again"

Dumb moment on my part!!!!!! I was in LHD driving in France mode, I see now what you're getting at and everybody else is suggesting.

Yeah, I pretty much concur, these types are what I call arrognant, a mixture of arrogance and ignorance.

Peter
Post #541576 19th Jun 2016 6:59pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
mse wrote:
I've seen worse, but I'm not sure it was that bad actually, sorry. I usually check my mirrors and move across to give way, we don't have priority routes like Europe

I would say that's likely to be a security convoy - in which case they wouldn't care

That's normal for round my area and if towing just be aware of stuff coming on and just back off a bit that's what I do anyway Thumbs Up
Post #541592 19th Jun 2016 7:43pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Went with Hazel to a show a couple of weeks back, I was gobsmacked at the utter inconsideration of other road users. It was almost as if they saw a defender towing a horse trailer and thought 'that's slow, I will pull out in front of it'. Hazel said it was totally representative of the standard of the driving populous. She also said she reckoned that everyone should be made to tow a trailer with livestock in to realise how long it takes to brake a heavy load and what a difference a live load makes. Must admit I agree with her.
Regards
Barbara
Post #541621 19th Jun 2016 8:56pm
CY88

1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Keswick Green
gilarion wrote:
Do not know but in case you are wondering how close one came to sideswiping me look at this still from the video we were at the closest about six inches apart and that was after I hit the brakes. My front end is level with the Range Rovers back tire. And for gods sake I was towing a horse box...

Click image to enlarge

Looks more like 6 feet to me Question I'm not disputing it was unnecessarily dangerous driving on his part, but nowhere near 6 inches. 
FFRR Supercharged - Series One - Defender 90 V8
Post #541656 19th Jun 2016 10:31pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
I think it's rather sad that you've gone home after your drive and shared this

I actually don't think it's too bad. I do 40k a year and witness this kind of stuff daily
Post #541660 19th Jun 2016 10:42pm
mse

Dash cams are a little like social media...and soon police wont both being out they will just trawl through postings to prosecute - they are already doing it too Mike
Post #541668 19th Jun 2016 10:53pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I totally agree with you Leeds.

I have affection for my horses, I have two, this one I was towing belongs to my daughter who has some mobility problems and spends most of her life in a wheel chair, however when she is riding her horse she is in her element and makes me so proud.

I was bringing the horse back from a vet in Chester for his check-up, and the horse vet who gives my family such a good deal monetary wise because he knows the problems my daughter has, and I thank him for that as I am not a rich person.

The horse is called ‘Misty’ my daughter named him because when he was foaled and we went to see him, the field and stable was covered in mist. He makes my daughter’s life so much better and she has grown in confidence in so many ways because of him, and this may sound daft but I think he loves her as much as she does him.

If any anything happened to him I could never have forgiven myself.

When I am towing him I try and drive as safe as is possible perhaps more so because of what he means to my daughter. I am so glad; security convoy or not that I escaped any difficulties. I have seen the consequences of traffic accidents when horses have to be put down. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #541669 19th Jun 2016 10:54pm
Projectblue

England 
I wasn't driving your car, or towing the horse box so I can't feel the brakes going on or get a sensation of the de-acceleration you are doing to allow the fourth of the five off the slip but I am in agreement with the others.

It appears from the video that there was more room than maybe appreciated and the positioning plus the fourth coming around the offside indicates a convoy.

I don't think number 4 is inexperienced. I think he has gunned it to maintain the gap to the rear of V3 and not let you go between them.

It's unusual for them not to run lights if it's a VIP CP. I think they are someone else Whistle New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #541681 19th Jun 2016 11:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>