↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma MY2013 singing engine noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vmesch

Belgium 
Puma MY2013 singing engine noise
our Def has now 4500km on the clock and I've experienced some strange noise coming from the gearbox (I assume): normal sound is smooth and low frequency at 1500-2000 rpm. But at once, it's getting some high pitch kind of sound especially when reaching 2000 rpm and higher. It's some kind of vibration or resonance in the gearbox.... Shocked
Gear box is well engaged in the high gear range.
I found that the problem can be solved for some time by changing the gear in the low range, driving a short while, reversing and swithing back in high gear range.... Problem solved, smooth sound back!

Anyone who has experienced the same? Any ideas or suggestions. We still have plenty of warranty period and I asked the dealer to inform me on this issue.... puma 2.2 MY2013
[:O]===[O:]
Post #404270 3rd Mar 2015 10:20pm
AlanH

Australia 
I had a strange noise which sounded a bit like bagpipes coming from what I thought was the engine, the Cook thought gearbox and an independent thought rear axle!
Anyway the stealer inspected it under warranty (with 98K on the clock) and said it was the transfer box. Normally a vehicle with that amount of kays would have had a recon job fitted but as there were none in Oz they fitted a new box.
Bagpipe noise gone which is pleasing because although I love the pipes, I don't like that sort of noise coming from my Landie. Smile
Good luck.
AlanH.
Post #404886 6th Mar 2015 6:55am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #404891 6th Mar 2015 8:26am
Vmesch

Belgium 
The gearstick issue is a possibility, but is the vibration continuous or just occurring now and then? My buzzing sound isn't there for several weeks, shows up (I think only after a bumpy ride) and the switching to low gears for a while solves the problem... For the next couple or more weeks.
I had an e-mail from the dealer today to propose to have the car checked. I'll let them have a look at it and hopefully they will be able to come up with a solution, allthough I doubt they will find anything if the problem does not show up. puma 2.2 MY2013
Post #405115 6th Mar 2015 7:55pm
Vmesch

Belgium 
I now had the same issue twice in the last month. Today I also noticed that, when it occurs, I seem to have more power...: I was cruising at 80km/h, everything normal. Then at once, the engine noise changed and I got this 'metallic' sound again. At the same moment, the engine seemed to give more power which slightly increased the speed. Pulling back the throttle and keeping the revs constant helped to get this noise disappearing quite easily. Nothing abnormal afterwards anymore, even driving on the motorway at 110km/hr and reached home after 20km.
Air intake issue?? Anyone experienced this? Shocked
 puma 2.2 MY2013
Post #542211 21st Jun 2016 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1