↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sub-woofer under seat?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sub-woofer under seat?
Now I know a few of you have mounted a powered subwoofer under the rear seats (in particular on 110s).

This seems like a good place to put one (as I don't like the idea of fitting mine:

http://tinyurl.com/25qpo2n

on the back of my cubby box, as this is within prime kicking distance for my four year old!! Confused

But, I also don't like the idea of mounting it to the floor, as it means if I have to put the seats up to carry large loads (which I do regularly), the sub is a bit exposed.

Just wondering - Anyone mounted the sub to the actual base of the seat itself? Would there be problems if it's firing directly into the floor (Well, about a 2cm airspace, I reckon)? 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #48109 10th Dec 2010 1:27pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
How about under the cubby box? Just need a 8 cm wood spacer. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #48116 10th Dec 2010 3:04pm
szracer

Alas, no can do. Already fitted a Nakatanenga under cubby box. Sad

MK wrote:
How about under the cubby box? Just need a 8 cm wood spacer.

2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #48120 10th Dec 2010 3:35pm
TC

United Kingdom 
was wondering the same myself.

Going to try it and see......

I have mounted it to the rear bulkhead in my DC and it makes the rear glass rattle like Censored . I don't want to bolt it to the floor so was thinking, underside of seat or underneath cubby with spacers..... underneath cubby though would probably make everything in the cubby rattle like Censored also though I suspect.
Post #48121 10th Dec 2010 4:09pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Im no expert on sound systems but from what i gather it doesnt really matter where you mount a sub and what direction it is facing as it provides the low frequency noise which is less direction sensitive when you hear it. The important bit it where you mount the tweeters which is why these are normally facing you on the top of the dash or the a-pillar.

Im sure somebody else will be along to explain it better (or tell me im totally wrong).

Pete.
Post #48125 10th Dec 2010 6:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TC

United Kingdom 
Zinke wrote:
Im no expert on sound systems but from what i gather it doesnt really matter where you mount a sub and what direction it is facing as it provides the low frequency noise which is less direction sensitive when you hear it. The important bit it where you mount the tweeters which is why these are normally facing you on the top of the dash or the a-pillar.

Im sure somebody else will be along to explain it better (or tell me im totally wrong).

Pete.

Not an acoustics issue Pete; you are correct, doesn't matter where it goes (within reason), the issue is structural. Will a seat base hold a rather heavy sub? I am going to have a go, if I here a thud whilst driving I shall move it!

Would be interested to know if anyone has tried under the cubby and found that it vibrates everything stupid.....?
Post #48128 10th Dec 2010 6:14pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Hi James,

Just spent two hours Censored about on the drive. I can report that acoustically, mounting the sub under the rear seat is excellent. I have an InPhase USW10 powered sub and I can report that all of the positive reviews for that piece of kit are spot on. I had restrained expectations having previously owned cars with very, very good factory systems.

I have installed a sony 'media' bluetooth head unit, Alpine 10cm custom fit replacement fronts and the on USW10 sub - nothing else. It is easily the equal of Land Rover's and BMW's logic 7 systems (I have lived with both)

I am simply running the speakers off the head unit, no amp - can not believe the sound! My intention was only to improve on the sub standard factory fit kit, I am though blown away, genuinely.

Mounting the sub under the seat gives enough isolation that unwanted vibration is limited (although not eradicated). I suspect the mounting will need beefing up somewhat though, I used the self tappers that came with the mounting kit. The seat base is pretty sturdy and held in place by a number of screws, I am planning on removing it completely and using a nut and bold combo to properly secure the sub.

My quest was to achieve a decent music reproduction, for £345 I have a cracking sound system. this will be excessive to some but I love my music so it is worth it.

TC
Post #48154 10th Dec 2010 9:22pm
szracer

Thanks for the feedback TC - guess it's underneath the seat for me, then! Smile

Thinks: If I get the wife to sit in the back seat, and put a Massive Attack album on with the bass turned up, I can probably leave her to it, and watch the late-night TV in peace....

Ahem....I'll stop that train of thought, now. May be minors reading...

Shocked

Had read the other suggestion about mounting the sub in the drivers seat box, but not sure I wanted lots of low-frequencies going through the ECU all the time. 
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #48162 10th Dec 2010 10:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
szracer wrote:
Had read the other suggestion about mounting the sub in the drivers seat box, but not sure I wanted lots of low-frequencies going through the ECU all the time.

The ECU is under the bonnet 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #48163 10th Dec 2010 10:13pm
szracer

Oops! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Showing my ignorance, I'm afraid.

All right, well there are lots of other electrical and electronic gubbins under the seat, aren't there? Wink

AndrewS wrote:
szracer wrote:

The ECU is under the bonnet

2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #48187 11th Dec 2010 11:13am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
szracer wrote:

All right, well there are lots of other electrical and electronic gubbins under the seat, aren't there? Wink

Yep Thumbs Up Had a sub sat in there for the last 12k with no issues well apart from clutch problems. Shocked I wonder Question 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #48201 11th Dec 2010 3:52pm
TC

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
szracer wrote:

Yep Thumbs Up Had a sub sat in there for the last 12k with no issues well apart from clutch problems. Shocked I wonder Question

Wish there was space in the TD5 seat boxes. Am finding that I need to run the sub almost flat as it generates too much vibration. Rear windows vibrate so easily......joys of defender ownership! Very Happy
Post #48436 13th Dec 2010 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1