↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Which steering box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tobz102

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Which steering box
To add to the endless list of things gone wrong with the 90 puma, the steering box is leaking rather nicely at the moment. Going to replace instead of repair and likely looking at the paddocks recon adwest unit which is 160quid plus my faulty box.

Before I go ahead, can anyone recommend anything other? Can no longer get a brand new unit straight from adwest and with britpart adding their cut, brand new units are quite expensive now Sad
Post #537243 3rd Jun 2016 4:16pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I just got (well, about 4 weeks ago) a recon box from my local britpart/allmakes/bearmach dealer in Swindon.

seems a good job, was also £160 + vat, minus drop arm. Seems to be oil leak free so far and drives (Well, "steers") 1000% better than it did before.

£160 seemed to be the cheapest I could find. I emailed Adwest directly (as I bought one a few years back from them in Reading) but as you say, it seems they no longer have a trade counter..... their loss!
Post #537569 4th Jun 2016 10:03pm
tobz102

Update,

went direct to NPS in Leicester for my box, 150 + my leaky box and comes with the drop arm.

Started to fit it today, all going well until removing of the reservoir and pump pipes from the top of the box. The nuts were seized solid to the pipe, to the point where loosening them off was bending the pipe... Decided to remove the pipes from the reservoir and pump instead, which was far simpler. With the box out i could spin the pipe work off with the nut. Looking closely, you'd think the nut and pipe where one piece, they're seized solid. Left to soak overnight, and going to work on loosening them tomorrow, but I think I damaged the reservoir to box pipe too much so will have to pick up a new one.

Is this a common problem? Done some searching around the steering box replacement threads but haven't found anything
Post #538936 9th Jun 2016 9:44pm
Simon27

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
Is there a good walk though anywhere of what's involved in replacing this on a Puma? I suspect I need to do mine soon.
Post #538948 9th Jun 2016 10:11pm
tobz102

Quote:
Is there a good walk though anywhere of what's involved in replacing this on a Puma? I suspect I need to do mine soon.

I naively followed the LR blog, and toolbox video (google defender steering box replacement) as the 4 bolt unit they replace is the same as on puma, despite it looking like a tdi in the video/blog. They're fairly accurate, but its a Censored to be honest, wish I had left it to the indie.

Access is terrible, all the intake ducting and airbox are in the way (unlike on the tdi in the videos), everything is seized solid and the thing weighs a ton. I'd massively recommend removing part of the intake ducting and radiator cowl before starting, just as it saves a lot of time in the long term. If your pipework is seized like mine was then remove from the reservoir and pump end, makes it much easier.

Oh and remove the panhard rod too, otherwise you'll never get it out!
Post #538951 9th Jun 2016 10:21pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Lesson learnt years ago working on cars.

If you look at something and think "I don't need to remove that, it won't be in the way TOO much". Just take it off! The 5 minutes now will be far better than the 25 minutes of cursing and losing skin, then 5 minutes of taking it off later anyway!
Post #538958 9th Jun 2016 10:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1