↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Maybe I should keep it...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SimpleSimon

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Maybe I should keep it...?
Just before Christmas I had a minor, but looking back quite scary, crash in my Defender on the motorway. It made me question the wisdom of trying to keep a 1998 300tdi as a daily driver. A lengthy and frustrating insurance claim process followed, in the interim I borrowed some (more) money and bought a second hand Dacia Duster to get me around day-to-day. I made the decision to sell the Defender when the insurance repairs were done. It came back eventually from the bodyshop with a fantastic new wing and bumper job, which sadly highlighted the shabbier bits of the existing bodywork. I paid a local fella to fit and paint the new rear door and quarter panels that I'd had since about a week after buying the Defender and never got around to trying to do myself. He did a tidy job and also touched in a few stone chips, age marks, and nasty bits of bare primer. She looks good now! Not like a full reapray/restoration, but an honest original with a bit of TLC.

Click image to enlarge

I also put a fresh MOT on, after getting some welding done on the OS outrigger, which she passed without incident.

Now, nobody seems to want to buy her!

Yesterday I decided I'd better go for a spin, as its been on the drive for a good few weeks without moving. Jumped in and with the first turn of the key she burst straight into life. I don't know why I expected any different, but still it made me smile. I loaded my dogs in the back and we went for a walk in one of my favourite local spots.

I feel like my love affair with the Landy has been reignited. Maybe she needs a second chance? 1998 300tdi 90 Hard Top. Daily driver, dog bus, shooting wagon and ongoing project!
Post #960883 7th Aug 2022 7:02am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
They always need a second chance - keep it Mr. Green

The moment you see it drive away with the new owner, you’ll be full of regret and within 6 months, you’ll be looking on eBay and the likes to get another. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #960884 7th Aug 2022 7:17am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
How cool does that look on your drive, the envy of many passers by… Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #960885 7th Aug 2022 7:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Taking emotions out of the way - if you regularly use your Defender for something that other cars like your Dacia can’t do, then it’s easy to justify owning it. If you don’t, comfort, mpg, maybe reliability etc. are always going to win out.

On selling it - I’ve not once had a problem selling any vehicle including all of my various LR’s. The simple fact is, if a vehicle doesn’t sell, it’s because it was priced too high for what people are prepared to pay for it. Nothing to do with market conditions etc etc. for that you adjust the price accordingly. Naturally, everyone wants to maximize the amount for selling a car on - you just have to be realistic in pricing it and it will always sell.
Post #960888 7th Aug 2022 8:11am
donmacn

I’ve had a 1994 300Tdi 110 as a “more or less” daily for the last 20 years, and put 180k on the clock.

It’s been the length and breadth of the UK and abroad; it’s towed boats and lugged diving gear; carried bikes and kids and tents and canoes - sometimes all at the same time! There’s a huge financial value sunk in it now, no to mention the hundreds (or thousands) of hours I’ve spent on it, so I’ll not be getting rid of it any time soon.

So it suits me, and I can easily live with the downsides. If I need to, then we also have another car for trips to cities and multi-story car parks, but 8 times out of 10 it’s the Defender I use.

It’s perfectly possible to use it as a daily, but as Steve has said that will depend on your own detailed circumstances. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #960891 7th Aug 2022 9:02am
dainger

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
As SteveG says, could be over priced BUT the price reflects what shes worth to you… a Landy will always sell with right price and patients (sometimes months) is needed. Summer holidays and warm weather typically slows the market also.

BUT equally sometimes that delay is fate giving you enough time to realise you won’t want to let her go.
Post #961202 10th Aug 2022 6:50am
Dave12345

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Keswick Green
I’ve been obsessively scrolling eBay etc for well about 2/3 years having only just bought mine but been on the hunt for ages.

After rocketing not so long ago, actual selling prices are definitely turning from what I can see. Watch eBay auctions for a good indication of what people are actually
paying.

More importantly, having had a nasty shunt in my old car which I initially adored I went through the same process as you. Eventually I sold it a year after getting it back from repair, it was never the same to me, so I understand entirely. I’d now consider another of the same car, but not that specific one. It’s totally irrational, I’d say go with your gut.

If you’re on the fence, just leave the advert up at the right price for you, almost passively. Don’t invest yourself in the sale. If it sells overnight, great, if it doesn’t, you can carry on enjoying it and might choose to kept it. Easier said than done I appreciate.
Post #961297 11th Aug 2022 1:33am
SimpleSimon

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Thanks for the replies and opinions folks... I've taken her out a couple of times recently and I'm finding it hard to escape the "smiles per mile" effect.
I've also now come down as far as I'm really willing on price, and the tax/insurance are due next month... I think I'll do as some above have suggested, which is keep the ad running and see what happens, whilst at the same time continuing to use her for leisure. After all, she is mine up until the point that I find a buyer, I may as well get as much enjoyment as possible if I AM getting rid eventually.

The real solution, I think, would be to try and find a considerably newer 110. It would eliminate the 90's problem of having no space for kids (not that we have any yet...) and be a more viable long term prospect if it wasn't already over 20 years old. But, I'm not sure the Mrs will go for that idea.... 1998 300tdi 90 Hard Top. Daily driver, dog bus, shooting wagon and ongoing project!
Post #962297 20th Aug 2022 6:54am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
90 for the heart, 110 for the head..

110 is the do it all family bus. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #962301 20th Aug 2022 8:02am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I have to agree with BrickBox. I have had both and whilst I loved my 90 I am on my 3rd 110. The all round ability to carry pretty much what you like in or on it with passengers tips the balance. Two kids, an old English sheep dog and associated holiday tat would never worked in the 90! 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #962303 20th Aug 2022 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1