↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Nugget Stuff Sealed air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks for that

OK will speak to Peter sometime,, Was next door to him earlier this morning as well Rolling Eyes California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #679598 18th Jan 2018 1:04pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Does the Nugget kit fit a 300 tdi defender? the website refers specifically to puma/tdci?
thanks 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #684800 7th Feb 2018 6:47pm
Okan

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi!

just installed my modified nugget air intake one month ago. Very happy with it. Vehicule is running very good! Just a question about fuel consumption. I noticied I lost around 100km on one full tank with the same setup. Has someone noticied the same thing with this modification on remaped puma? Or maybe I have got another problem?

Best regards
Post #691302 5th Mar 2018 10:41pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I fitted mine about two weeks ago. All good except I’m very concerned about how close it is to the alternator mounting bolt. It’s hard to see, but I don’t think it’s touching, but it’s what happens when the engine moves on its mounts that concerns me. I’ve used cable ties to pull the hose as tight as possible to the inner wing but the still only a fag paper of clearance. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #691367 6th Mar 2018 9:31am
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Okan wrote:
Hi!

just installed my modified nugget air intake one month ago. Very happy with it. Vehicule is running very good! Just a question about fuel consumption. I noticied I lost around 100km on one full tank with the same setup. Has someone noticied the same thing with this modification on remaped puma? Or maybe I have got another problem?

Best regards

do any experts know if the shape or volume of the 'box' inside the wing and any 'off set' air hose joins rather than 'straight through' air hose configuration slows the air flow rate into the air cleaner/filter box, thus reducing engine performance? 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #691437 6th Mar 2018 3:19pm
nugge t

Australia 
Hi guys

Hopefully I can supply a few answers for you.

The volumes of air flow from the original Puma set up to mine is much greater with mine. As an example the original is roughly the same as a 76mm hose, mine is 90. The volumes at both the new air box end and the adaptor are also larger than the originals.

The original Puma box inside the guard also has a right angle in it and the original hose has restrictions around the alternator bolt head ..... it also leaks like a sieve so I don't think I would be looking to replicate it inefficiencies in getting air efficiently to the engine.

I have never had any feed back of increased fuel consumption and that is certainly not my personal experience having fitted the kits to my MY10 100 and now my MY13 130. Fuel economy measurements over one tank are generally not too accurate unless a tank by tank record is kept but 100kms is a lot. Personally I would be doing a longer test or looking at what else might have changed such as the remap???

If the kit has been purchased in the last 4-5 months it should have the new adaptor in which case the alternator head bolt will not be a problem unless the air filter box has been installed at a funny angle. This can be rectified by drilling out the 6 rivets in the inner guard which secure the end of the air filter box, twisting the air filter box to a better position and re-riveting it.

Guys if you ever have any concern I am happy to answer questions whether it be here, although I don't get on as often as I would like, or you are more than welcome to email at

nugget@nuggetstuff.com

Cheers
Post #691563 6th Mar 2018 9:39pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I would agree, new kit and not near alternator. No fuel consumption issues just dearth Vader in my airbox sounds now Bow down
The dark side Thumbs Up 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #691619 6th Mar 2018 11:49pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
on fuel use side, 100km/l is an awful lot.

mine with no remap, used less fuel with the nugget box fitted to my softop.

i have another kit on the shelf new not unpacked yet to go on my 110. it will have the older air box connector i guess as purchased mid last year. How do i check? what does the new one look like? Can the new one be exchanged for the old as an upgrade? how much for the new one? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #691908 8th Mar 2018 11:50am
Thon

United Kingdom 
Mine was installed a year ago and has (as I found out last time I opened the bonnet) split the hose near the alternator and also has shaken the diameter adapter loose from the airbox. I guess this is due to the proximity of the alternator bolt, despite me offsetting the adapter as far away from the alternator as possible.

I guess I need to move my airbox mountings.
Post #691945 8th Mar 2018 2:12pm
KU310R

Malta 
Mostly the same as above. I have installed the newer version in mine around 6 months ago. Never had any issues with it and the clearance is much better. Consumption remained roughly the same even after the remap.

One thing I may suggest is to cover the flexible hose in gorilla tape. This will strenghten it and reduce the risk if it tearing due to rubbing with metal and also stops the white thread surrounding it from fraying.

Once again I would like to thank Wayne for supplying the necessary parts.
Post #693562 15th Mar 2018 6:39pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
KU310R wrote:
One thing I may suggest is to cover the flexible hose in gorilla tape. This will strenghten it and reduce the risk if it tearing due to rubbing with metal and also stops the white thread surrounding it from fraying.

Unless you are wrapping the gorilla tape 10mm thick - I don't think it will do much for abrasion resistance against a bolt.

You'd be better off fitting something to the bolt that's going to give a smoother and larger surface area for the hose to sit against.
Post #693689 16th Mar 2018 8:16am
KU310R

Malta 
I did not tape the duct because of the bolt. The bolt head was talen care of by the newly designed adapter which i bought from wayne. I taped it because i could not stand the white thread surrounding it fraying.
Post #693759 16th Mar 2018 1:28pm
nugge t

Australia 
Giday all. Just a bit of a preview/update.

I am currently working on a kit for 300TDi's as well for those who have Mantec/LR type snorkels. It is about to leave Oz for trial fitting in the UK.
Post #695295 21st Mar 2018 9:44pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Any chance anyone who has fitted one could share the routing? im having a hard time clearing the brake setup... couple pics would be appreciated
Post #844341 17th Jul 2020 9:21pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
Not sure if this is any help. I fiddled around with the airbox adaptor for a while until it looked right and it seems to be fine.

Click image to enlarge
Post #844416 17th Jul 2020 11:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>