↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Marshall Halesworth fit to be dealership?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
durham

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Marshall Halesworth fit to be dealership?
I would question Marshall of Halesworth's ability to represent the Land Rover brand.

Its not the Defender glitches I am unhappy with, its this Dealerships ability. They sold me a vehicle which I wanted, amongst other things, for towing regularly to the South of France. 2nd day of ownership it broke down on the Calais ferry, a build issue, with an electrical sensor not pushed together properly. PS French dealers didnt find it, these ones also did Volvo, Kia, Fiat, Ford, Lancia, Hyundai, Jaguar..... it became driveable, fault found on return to UK.

My 2014 110 USW has been back and forth to them for over a year due to what could be seen as minor issues and servicing. I am left with returning to them as they have caused small amounts of damage to paintwork, which they keep "forgetting" to correct eg squaring up headlight trim has left a small scratch on front of the wing but has been in 3 times for repair and they forget to do it!!!! Ive had the usual corroded "false hinges" on the bulkhead and lower grille repaired. At that visit they sorted the scratch by refitting the headlight surround at an angle covering the scratch. The most recent visit for a discounted service (goodwill) included sorting a headlining sagging over a safari window. The lining now hangs further down where it meets the rearmost lining as all the joining fasteners have pulled through. Not only did they not repair the front scratch but presented me with a new one on a door on which they finally fixed a water leak with a new door seal but knocked out the central locking on that door, oh and the window didn't go all the way down.

An oil leak, which the technician personally looking after me, told me was coming from the top of the engine had been cleaned off and I was to keep an eye on it. I advised him that reception had just told me that the leak was from the sump and a new sump cover had been fitted, clue= shiny new one.

I asked them to investigate a constant gearstick rattle evident when towing, but goes when I put hand pressure on it. Returned with no gearbox investigation as it only occurs when towing, I bought it for towing an Ifor Wiliiams box.
Finally having apparently serviced it, I have registered on the on line service record and this years service is not shown, I have questioned this, as it now appears it hasnt been serviced since last March not this March, but the service manager has gone on holiday, stating he will be in touch end of next week! I have e.mailed the business manager, copying in the service guy and got his out of office.

When I picked it up (22nd April), that manager was sick, another manager listened to my problems and would be in touch by e.mail.......any day now I suppose, I am still waiting. They valeted it as part of the goodwill, they some how managed to scrub the steering centre pad to now replicate a washing up pad, oh an 3 weeks later the car stunk, under the rubber carpet was swimming in soapy water and the foam backing had soaked it up.

The most recent visit took 5 weeks to sort, luckily a 4.4 RR Sport filled the void, I now always get a car, once didnt and they took 10 days to replace the rubber door seal, which knocked out the central locking and to not fix the scratch, I obviously became low priority as not tying a car up. So far Ive had a Fiesta, Peugeot, Defender, Disco Sport and recently RR Sport.

Theres more, much more, so if you think of using this dealership, think again. They obviously have staff retention problems, as the whole front of house staff have changed about 4 times in the last year. The last service manager left and this is the new guy, the master Technician is also new, as are the sales staff. Additionally I live a 190 mile round trip from them.

Now, if I had a Range Rover Vogue, would I be treated any differently?
Post #533162 20th May 2016 12:13pm
toby9946

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I think Land Rover as a whole need to give the entire dealer network a shake up!!!

I've yet to have/read about a positive experience with a main dealer which is extraordinary considering it is a premium brand!

Good luck in getting some resolutions though. -2015 Defender 90 XS Landmark-
Post #533166 20th May 2016 12:30pm
Muddywheels

England 
I've had FL1s, FL2s, D2s and RRSs over the last 16 years and the worst service by far was during RRS ownership so if you had a RR I don't think you would be better treated Sad

I've used every dealer within 50 miles of me under various owners and can't recommend one Banging Head

It's definitely got worst in the last 10 years Rolling Eyes

Lots of LR forum members are swearing by LR indys now Confused

I hope you get sorted soon Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Last edited by Muddywheels on 20th May 2016 2:19pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #533171 20th May 2016 1:04pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I was in there earlier this week to drop my 110 off, it was my first visit since Hammonds had the dealership on the same premises and I had a chat to one of the sales guys who has been there for years. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #533174 20th May 2016 1:16pm
durham

Thanks Gents,

In fairness, this is the only LR dealer I have used. I was all set to use Duckworth in Lincolnshire as they are exactly the same distance from me. My local dealer Lookers at Bishops Stortford quoted £770 for the 2 year service, Duckworths £440. I still needed this paintwork issue sorted and Marshall came in with a discounted £250 plus valet and a promise to melt all my problems away.

Anyway due to crap situation on collection after 5 weeks, they offered to pay for a meal and night out for me and wife. I went for the waive the £250, which they did (wife not impressed). Plus side = free 2 year service, downside = not shown on on line service record and left with more problems than when I went in. That was the guy who promised to e.mail me straight away re sorting it all (again), he's probably still trying to remember his password having failed using "password" or distracted by the box of chalks and crayons in the kiddies corner.

Downside of the RR Sport loan car is, wife now see's bright and shiny RR badges as the future.......Ive told her to lets get this sorted first and see what the future brings....she'll be onto planning summer hols by then....or at this rate next years summer!!!

Cheers again
Post #533175 20th May 2016 1:25pm
durham

I'm glad your happy with them Happy.

The (Hammonds) sales guy that I bought from is now at VW Lowestoft, the guy that covered for him on collection day has also gone. Your guy could be the manager who has continually failed to sort my Land Rover experience day since I bought it in 2014. The 2 guys in service reception started in mid April, the service manager early March and the master technician late March. One of the main reception ladies was covering on her own in service reception. Staff turn over has clearly become a problem since Marshall bought them.
Post #533176 20th May 2016 1:33pm
Muddywheels

England 
After 6 years/2 RRSs with Censored customer service I traded down to a Disco Sport - when I saw the price of RRS2 and how much they offered me for my immaculate low mileage 2 yr old RRS Black Edition I said "NO MORE" Shocked

I would buy something else but hard to break the LR habit - looking for a Series 2A now and good indy for my next fix and with 2 year services on DS I hope it will be a while before I have to see a dealer Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #533178 20th May 2016 1:38pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Didn't say I was happy with the dealership, at the moment I'm neutral. My satisfaction will be gauged after I pick my vehicle up.

I bought several vehicles from Hammond's, back then service was comparable to other local dealerships. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #533179 20th May 2016 1:40pm
durham

I have seen the difference between Hammonds and Marshall, a family dealership gone to part of a big group.
I did have a test drive a couple of months ago, they guy had just come from a VW dealership at Ipswich and there were still vacancies. I hope all is well for you, but if any probs the service manager Mark is not around, he's covering at their Ipswich Vauxhall service, where I believe the Service Manager has left, do you see a pattern here?.....oh and Mark has taken holiday leave anyway, he was on sick leave when I collected last month.
I did see on another forum recently where Marshall refunded after a complaint of overpricing, Nearly £90 to change a bulb, not that Ive ever paid someone to do that.
I tried to upload a picture of their headlining workmanship which now drops down as the fasteners have made the retaining hole too big, it may be in my gallery
Post #533181 20th May 2016 2:04pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have to say that Conwy Land Rover are a good dealership or maybe I have just been lucky with them.

However I have used Guy Salmon in Stockport twice and each time I visited a person has been stood in reception moaning about the service and telling anyone who would listen what a terrible place it is.

If you receive bad service from any dealership do not bother with managers they are just a waste of time on the whole, especially where Defenders are concerned, better to go direct to the Dealer Principle, and never lose your temper no matter what, just be insistent and I mean insistent, carefully listing all your concerns and do not leave without getting everything promised in writing. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #533193 20th May 2016 3:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Sounds like terrible service! I think id speak with my feet and go to a closer dealer? Lookers Colchester, Marshalls Cambridge or Bury st Edmunds? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #533223 20th May 2016 6:04pm
durham

I will, just trying to sort out damage they've caused ie paintwork and now replaced roof lining hanging down. Any future custom will be elsewhere. Also now got the pain of unrecorded service. I will spend no more money with them.

There was a sharp paint fault on the body coloured strip between the door and rear cross member, I actually cut my finger on it, I hadn't realised it was there as I wash it so little, as its with them so often they do the washing!. The workshop filed it off and touched it up with a brush, a 6 inch brush by the looks of it, terrible job.

The dealership changed hands, I've realised the paint shop stayed with the old company, so they have no paint shop of their own.
Post #533231 20th May 2016 6:39pm
Muddywheels

England 
I recommend you pm LRCR and ask them to get service record updated asap and see if they can help with other issues Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #533234 20th May 2016 6:54pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I was just about to suggest speaking with Lucy the Def2 LR customer relations rep, she might be able to help. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #533239 20th May 2016 7:01pm
Muddywheels

England 
Thumbs Up

It's important to sort service record for your warranty if nothing else Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #533241 20th May 2016 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>