Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Grange Farm camping - Billing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Grange Farm camping - Billing
Hi,

Myself, my wife and our 6 year old daughter are thinking about getting into camping. Rather than splashing out hundreds on a new tent and finding out its not for us after the first trip, I have managed to hire a Vango Airbeam tent for a couple of nights from down in Northamptonshire, coincidentally on the same weekend as Billing Shocked

Was thinking of raising the possibility with the wife of camping at Grange Farm and going to Billing, but would like some thoughts on the campsite first - will it give us a good taster into life on a campsite? Will the noise levels in the evening be suitable for a 6 year old trying to sleep? Are the toilets/showers clean? Does it have all the same facilities as a proper campsite?

Would welcome people's opinion on whether it would be suitable for a couple of "test nights" of camping with a young child, or whether a more standard campsite would be best until we know what we are doing

Cheers
Gary
Post #523329 12th Apr 2016 12:22pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Hi Gary, Me and the present Mrs Rashers took up camping last year. We think it is great fun, but then I suppose it is very Marmite. What you are trying to do is a great idea. May I suggest Gumtree if you decide to go into camping in a big way? There are plenty of people out there who buy all the gear, go once, hate it, then find there is not a lot of second hand value in used camping equipment.
I have never camped near Billing, but I do know that on the other side of the road to Billing Aquadrome is a pretty big Sewage Treatment Works, or should that be Wastewater Recycling Facility. Either way, the wind direction could make all the difference between a great camping trip and a smelly camping trip. Saying that, it wouldn't put me off camping at Billing. I think the weather will be the decider as to whether camping will appeal or not.
Post #523350 12th Apr 2016 1:10pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Billing wouldn't be my first choice lot of theiving going on I've had first hand experience
Post #523357 12th Apr 2016 1:23pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Hi
The grange farm campsite is in my opinion much much better than billing site.
It's much quieter on the grange farm and Richard the owner won't stand for any nonsense
And will remove anyone that causes a problem. The toilets are cleaner than main site too.
The only down side is its a bit of a walk to the show but it is close to off road course.
I camped on site for ten years before I changed to grange farm and have to say never had an issue
On the farm and would not go back to billing site if you paid me .
So just do it and if you do come you are welcome to join us for cuppa Wink Have fun be happy
Post #523360 12th Apr 2016 1:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I think as its our first time camping we may try a proper campsite first to be on the safe side. Will try and get to Billing and check out Grange Farm while we are there for future use (assuming we take to camping, that is!)

Thumbs Up
Post #523406 12th Apr 2016 4:31pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
There is a small campsite at Sibbertoft called Brook Meadow- which is about a 20-25 min drive from billing. It's very quiet and the facilities certainly used to be (going back about 3-4 years) pretty good. My mum and dad used to use it as their first camp of the season every year as it was only 15mins from their house should they have any problems with tents etc having been packed away for the winter.

Chris
Post #523606 13th Apr 2016 12:25pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the tip, Chris - will bear it in mind Thumbs Up
Post #523836 14th Apr 2016 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1