Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre pressures for snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Tyre pressures for snow
Hi all,

Well, it seems (at least as far as rural 'Glawstershoire' goes, can't speak for elsewhere, but believe it's forecast widely) that we're due our first snow of the Winter this week.

Only a couple of inches forecast, but since they don't clear the roads around where I live, that's enough to cause some people to be snowbound.

Hopefully not me in the Def!! Smile

Coincidentally, just fitted some of the new-style 'Grabber ATs' - Result! Tyre fitter even bought my old (well only done 5000 miles) Grabber TRs off me - Even bigger result!

SO....any tips for what to do tyre-pressure wise?? Granted 2" ain't much snow, but...

Hoping not going to be a repeat of earlier this year here.

This was what the main road through the village looked like....for 10 days!

2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #46066 23rd Nov 2010 8:54pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Kept mine standard last winter and didn't have any problems, apart from all the BMW's else getting stuck and blocking the roads!
Post #46073 23rd Nov 2010 9:13pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Running empty in a 90 i dont go lower than about 25 psi if the snow is deep and everywhere including the main roads.

If its only the back roads covered then i dont bother letting the tyres down as its not good for them running at low pressure and any speed.

The best thing you can get for snow is snow chains, they dont take long to fit or remove once you get used to them (quicker than dropping and then pumping pressures back up even with a good 12v compressor) and they work much better in snow than pressures down and dont affect the handling when there not fitted.

Pete.
Post #46074 23rd Nov 2010 9:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I tend to drop my tyres 5psi all round for driving offroad on any loose or sticky surface, but tbh, for 2" of snow I wouldnt bother, I'd just run them at normal pressure. All you're doing by lowering them is increasing the longitudinal contact slightly, it doesnt affect the latitude of the contact (contrary to popular opinion). In snow of any depth your tread pattern is far more important than your pressures.
Post #46075 23rd Nov 2010 9:14pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Zinke wrote:
Running empty in a 90 i dont go lower than about 25 psi if the snow is deep and everywhere including the main roads.

If its only the back roads covered then i dont bother letting the tyres down as its not good for them running at low pressure and any speed.

The best thing you can get for snow is snow chains, they dont take long to fit or remove once you get used to them (quicker than dropping and then pumping pressures back up even with a good 12v compressor) and they work much better in snow than pressures down and dont affect the handling when there not fitted.

Pete.

I wouldnt be using snow chains in 2 inches of fresh snow.
Post #46077 23rd Nov 2010 9:15pm
Lorryman100

We had slightly more than 2" of snow up here over the last winter and I didnt change the pressures at all. Was running GG Tr's at 30 front and 35rear with the traction control coming on once in the whole period. Mind you that was going up a single lane road up a hill with about 2 feet of virgin snow...Ahhh great times..hope they come again soon.. Very Happy
Post #46079 23rd Nov 2010 9:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I do too Laughing Lat year I had maxxis mudders on my other 90 and they were just phenomenal. We were on the North Yorks moors on boxing day in 5 feet drifts and mine was the only 90 which could get through it (the other guys all had bfg ATs). Now I'm running bighorns on the puma and cant wait to try them in snow. oh, and my locker gets fitted on mon/tues so i ll be beside myself if it snows and the truck is in the garage having the locker put in Laughing
Post #46082 23rd Nov 2010 9:27pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Had a ride over to Brindley chains on mon bought 2pair of chains very helpful people.
Post #46083 23rd Nov 2010 9:29pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Cheers all.

Seems my hunch last year was correct then.

The (old-style) Grabber AT2s that I have fitted to my (AWD) van were bloody amazing in the snow, at their normal tyre pressures. But don't tell the wife, I told her the van wasn't up to it and that's why we needed the Defender!

The funniest thing was my Golf R32. i had justified it to myself on the basis that it was AWD, so good in slippery conditions. Alas, in snow, it was as much use as a chocolate teapot. large wheels and low-profile 'sports tyres' are truly abysmal in snow.

We also had a bit more than 2" of snow in January....

How do I break it to my 4-year old now that, thanks to daddy's 'Land Rover Adventure' (as he calls the 110), there's not a hope in hell of him having an excuse to miss school...! Very Happy 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #46085 23rd Nov 2010 9:35pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
there is, because no doubt the schools will close once there is an icing sugar dusting of snow.

Mick, what did you go for?
Post #46087 23rd Nov 2010 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1