↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > From simple Puma 110 HardTop to PopTop Overland Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
From simple Puma 110 HardTop to PopTop Overland Camper
Hi All!

As I have finally purchased my first Defender, can start the project been thinking off for a very long time.

All the ideas that are in my head comes from my previous experience I gained during various trips with my wonderful wife in my beloved Discovery 3 that I travelled in from north of Scotland, to south of Armenia Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

I know the build is going to take a loooong time, but I'm not in a hurry as the Defender should stay with us for good. I hope Mr. Green

So here is the basic HardTop I have:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's been looked after quite well and has 101000km on the odometer.

The list of modifications is quite long, so will mention only the main ones I plan to make:

Underbody:
1. Complete +2" lift - to gain more room for the bigger wheels
2. Heavy duty springs to deal with the load.
3. Bigger tires - probably up to 35" (not sure, it this is not too much). Would like to use wider arches as the wheels I want should have bigger offset for better stability and to not rub in the corners. And I'm not gonna hide that for look as well Cool
4. ARB rear locker - read the TC in the early Pumas is not working very well, so would like to be safe with the ARB solution.
5. Different protections underneath
6. Additional fuel tank and water tank made of stainless steel.
7. Tyre Inflation System - this is the far future unless I find a good and not to expensive solution earlier.

8. Portals are my dream - but again - I know those are very expensive toys so are at the end of the list.

Do the brakes needs to be improved on the Puma, or just the brake lines would be enough?

Body:
1. Protection cage/roll bar - would like to go for a solution as the one attached - without those bars with red crosses.

Click image to enlarge

I'm planing to build the pop top so those other bars can't be part of the project. Any idea if such custom solution can be ordered from Safety Devices or any other source? There is no SD distributor in Poland so if anyone could ask them and pass me the average price, would be grateful.

2. Glass on the side with gulfwing windows - anyone has experience with those - how such big glass surface behaves when the body works off-road?

Click image to enlarge

I'm planing to make the body stronger using some bars inside, but still - as the body is made of cheese I'm quite scared of such solution although I like it very much.
3. Pentagon - superglas - as a protection layer on windows - again - anyone knows it?
4. Front bumper - love the equipe 4x4 - very nice and very expensive Wink
5. Seen some used Kaspersecurity lock on their vans - do you think it's a good solution for the Defender?
6. Solar panels and the complete power system with two, or maybe even 3 batteries in total.

Interior:
1. Complete rebuild - Dynamat Extreme solutions, Headliner, DynamatLiner - to make it warm and quite as it doesn't look good at the moment Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

2. Complete storage system - no design yet - just free ideas Wink
4. Would like to go for central locking system and electric windows but no idea if it can be easily retro fitted. Anyone has done it before?
5. Webasto/Eberspraher heating system - as a parking heater to be able to sleep inside the car even in the winter, and maybe to heat the water up and engine coolant?
6. Some aircon solution - roof mounted? Need to do some research.
7. Airtank under the floor - to inflate the tires, ARB locker and for the air horns I will remove from my Disco Twisted Evil Everything driven by two compressors I have in my Discovery.

That's basically it for the beginning.
Was thinking of changing the engine in the future for the petrol solution with the LPG option as had a very bad experience in Armenia last year - filed up with bad diesel (with water) and the Disco almost didn't make it) Luckily everything ended up good, but would like to have bad fuel resistant engine and the TD4 doesn't seem to be the one Confused

Looking for all kind of comments and sharing your experiences during this rebuild. Defender is totally new car for me and need to learn a lot so appreciate all advises.

Few questions at the beginning:

1. Noticed some "soldering work" here. What is this plug responsible for and what could be done here?

Click image to enlarge

2. Such loom is in the radio space - what are those two fusses for one can see on the left?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

3. is this a place for a twitter speaker, or something else, as there is no wires under this cover

Click image to enlarge

Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #516430 21st Mar 2016 3:43pm
Simon.pl

Also - I know people are making their own safety systems for the Defenders. Can anyone PM me what solutions do they use? This should be probably first mod I would have to do.. Wink

Thumbs Up
Post #516433 21st Mar 2016 3:55pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi Simon

1. Could be a home made version of the wiring loom modification for a faulty turbo loom, normally on aircon equipped vehicles.
2. Fuses - where do the wires go to?
3. yes for tweeters, the audio loom connectors should be there somewhere

Good luck!
Post #516581 21st Mar 2016 9:45pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Simon
good luck with your new defender !
we have done a few of the things on your list -
Cab heater - we have the heater mounted on the left side of the vehicle under the 2nd row seats and tied back to the fuel tank and 2nd battery - it works very well in keeping the inside warm when sleeping and good on fuel and battery use.
storage system - every one has their own priorities and any space will be used !!!
it all goes round where you are going to sleep and then plan your storage after you have looked into that - if you are going to have a pop top then the large area is available ,if like us we have your bed in the body then the space is less.
good luck and keep posting pics !!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #516629 21st Mar 2016 10:59pm
Simon.pl

Thanks chaps!

I will keep pics going as soon as some progress will be Wink
Downloaded the wiring diagrams for the Defender - will be easier to understand what this modified/repaired loom is doing.. I don't have aircon in my truck so will see.
Just had a quick look inside, so no idea where those fuses are directly connected but seemed like at least one of them has something to do with the radio loom.

Thumbs Up
Post #516666 22nd Mar 2016 1:08am
Simon.pl

Just noticed two odd behavious:

1. Alarm - I'm activating it from the remote. The blinkers stay on for about 3s when triggered, and blink 3 times when turning it off. But when it's on and I'm opening door and getting into the car, nothing happens. No horn, nothing. Didn't try to start the engine so no idea if it blocks it, but I thought there was supposed to be horn screaming? Shocked How should it work?

2. When tried to turned on the engine with the 1st gear on (bad behavior from my Automatic Disco - the car is always on P so no need to check if the gears are engaged) the car jumped few centimeters - I immediately shut it down of course, but when I tried to turn it on 2nd time (gear on neutral) - nothing was happening. The starter was not engaged. Same with clutch pressed. Removed the key - same. Got out from the car, opened the hood, but just decided to try again - and this time the engine started normally. Again - is it a normal behavior?

Other issue - I don't know if anyone of you have any experience with the IIDTool BT (I got it for my Disco), but as I read it was supposed to be able to read the car faults without the VIN unlocked. But when I connect it there is a message "No Vin recognised" (or similar) and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Wyvern - don't you use your heater to heat up the engine coolant as well? I thought it could be a good solution as well in cold times, but than the heater should be installed somewhere under the hood?

Thumbs Up
Post #516731 22nd Mar 2016 11:42am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Simpn
no I’ve just got an AIRTOP cab heater that we use for camping and not a full block heater as some have ... Keeping it simple.
Its all that I need at the moment as I only go to places that are cool rather than really super cold!
(see the pics on my profile for more info etc ...)
Very Happy Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #516847 22nd Mar 2016 8:43pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I'd go for an Ashlocker rather than an ARB.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #516914 22nd Mar 2016 11:12pm
Simon.pl

Never heard of and seems it's hard to get it in Poland.. Rolling Eyes
Is it better than ARB? Price in England looks good Cool
Post #516929 23rd Mar 2016 12:10am
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Simon
I have front & rear ashcroft lockers on my 90,they are brilliant.
I have been thinking about building a pop top,I found this write up,maybee it's of interest to you.
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85932

Good luck with your mods.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Marc
Post #516948 23rd Mar 2016 7:29am
Simon.pl

Great read Marc! Thanks!
Clears few doubts out Mr. Green Although I want to use original LR roof Very Happy

Regarding Ashcroft - are they same quaity as ARB just the price tag is lower, or they are for some reason better?

Cheers
Thumbs Up
Post #516973 23rd Mar 2016 10:34am
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Re: From simple Puma 110 HardTop to PopTop Overland Camper
Simon.pl wrote:
Hi All!

3. Bigger tires - probably up to 35" (not sure, it this is not too much). Would like to use wider arches as the wheels I want should have bigger offset for better stability and to not rub in the corners.

Cheers! Thumbs Up

I wouldn't worry about that being too much, unless you'll be bashing it pretty hard offroad (and in those conditions even Patrol stuff breaks). People overreact a bit with Defender axles, partially due to trauma from the old 10 spline stuff.

I have a friend with a 300Tdi Disco, stock halfshafts and CVs and STT 35"s. Uses it pretty hard offroad and is yet to break something. He's not the smoothest or drivers sometimes, but nothing brutal.

People forget (or ignore) that tyre induced strain is a combination of weight and diameter. Do some math and you'll have some surprises in terms of tyre/wheel reaction torque. Ignoring rolling resistance by bigger width, did you knew a 35 KM2 on 15" steel modulars will have a similar momentum reaction to a Toyo MT 255/85R16 on Wolf wheels?
Post #517233 24th Mar 2016 12:23am
Simon.pl

How bout the Defender's brakes? Do they fit 15" wheels without a problem, or, considering the stock brakes are not perfoming extremely well, is it better to stay with 16" or even think of moving to 17" for bigger brakes in the future?
Post #517331 24th Mar 2016 11:55am
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Stock brakes fit with no problems inside 15" wheels.

Honestly theres a ton of stuff you can upgrade before moving to a bigger brake upgrade, while mantaining the possibility to use stock spares in case of need.
Even a brake refreshment with stock parts can do wonders, more so if you opt for braided brake hoses.

Still in the tyre department, since you'll be using your's for overlanding, you might consider metric tyres instead of flotation sizes. The metric ones generally have an higher load rating, and being 16" should be easier to replace in remote places (even if you have to replace the 4 for na available size). 255/85R16 tyres per e.g. are generally a bit oversized at 33.3 or 33.5" while most 35" are quite undersized, some barely over 34", so the final difference is not that big.

PS: by the way, do you have more pics of that yellow Disco3 of yours? My mother just traded her Disco2 TD5 (OME suspension, Mantec guards, etc) for a stock Disco3 and it's not too excited, so needs a little motivation.
Thanks
Post #517344 24th Mar 2016 12:37pm
Simon.pl

Was thinking of getting 285/75/16 STT for the beginning and see how it works. I loved the Coopers on my Disco, so that's why such choice.

Regarding my Disco - here is an almost complete rebuild process - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic65456.html
My is for sale Big Cry (need money for the Defender mods Wink ) Few custom mods on the Disco - wheel career, spare fuel tank carrier with HiJack, custom front bumper and rock sliders, so it is unique Cool

Love it but she needs to go Thumbs Up
Post #517412 24th Mar 2016 4:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>