↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Coolant Consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Coolant Consumption
I notice each time we do offroad where you stress the engine a little more than usual that my water level is dropping slightly each time (+-5mm).
I have not filled up so that I can show the dealer next month how much it has dropped by. For the life of me I can't see any signs of the leak and when I open the cap after a few hours the pressure is still in the system.
I did change the pressure cap out of my own some months back as I noticed a smell of antifreeze but this did not help.
Is water consumption in hot conditions acceptable to any extent or should there be no losses?
Post #21822 11th Jan 2010 9:13am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not an expert!
Cape,

I am no expert but would surmise that there should be no real loss at all unless it is overfilled and it can syphon off through the expansion when hot, then it cools down and the level is lower than it should be. Does it continue to drop if you don't refill it each time? Yours appears to be minimal but a concern nevertheless. I also know that geographically it may be a problem for you to nip in to your local dealer. This is my amateur diagnosis, it could be a number of things and personally I would have a close inspection of the following. thermostat housing, radiator, associated pipework and securing jubillee clips, temperature sender housing, waterpump housing. If it is hot it could be that the leak is vaporising and leaving no trace. Usually with a prolonged leak you are left with a crusty deposit green/blue in colour from the anti-freeze. The pressure still being apparent after a period of time is also confusing! Nevertheless insist that the dealers do a pressure check whilst it's there if you don't find anything in the interim they can add a higher visible dye that will reveal the leak. Hope this helps. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #21825 11th Jan 2010 9:47am
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I had a problem with loss of a small amount coolant, turned out a bleed valve was weeping..
Post #21830 11th Jan 2010 10:14am
dgardel

Italy 
Mine, I replaced the expansion bottle cap, it loose fluid when I "shake" the car (offroad).

Now the problem is sorted............

Could you see coolant outside the exp. bottle? (you can see the pink colored dirty) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #21831 11th Jan 2010 10:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Thanks Chaps.

I don't see any signs of the water loss. The bottle top is dry so I assume the cap is ok.
No signs of antifreeze deposits around hose clamps (that I can get to to see) and even checked at fuel cooler.
When very hot conditions I can get a define smell of antifreeze so it must be leaking from somewhere.
My level in now about 10mm below the cold water level/line when she is up to full temperature.
I have her in for an 40K in Feb so I will get it checked then.
Post #21834 11th Jan 2010 11:09am
dgardel

Italy 
CapeLandy wrote:
Thanks Chaps.

My level in now about 10mm below the cold water level/line when she is up to full temperature.
I have her in for an 40K in Feb so I will get it checked then.

I always saw the defender antifreeze level 10mm below the max sign.....

try to observe if the coolant level stay always 10mm below Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #21835 11th Jan 2010 11:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ultra Violet
Have heard of Ultra Violet sensitive chemical being added to your water and used to search for 'difficult to find' leaks. Ultra Violet lamp under and around the engine will find a leak in no time!
Let us know how you get on! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #21837 11th Jan 2010 11:45am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
My disco loses a very small amount of coolant every service interval 6k - its been throughly checked, pressure checked 2x second half again above the pressure, gaskets changed etc - never could find why.

So just at every service add 5mm Thumbs Up Mike
Post #21882 11th Jan 2010 8:09pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I filled up less then half a litre after 50.000 km in my D3 and it might not have been on the max mark when I bought it. My Camel didn't need filling up either but I took the radiator out at least once a year before the summer to give it a good clean to prevent overheating problems during the summer holiday. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #21885 11th Jan 2010 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1