↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Defender Celebration Series & Classic Works > Audio/speaker/reversing camera upgrades for Adventure model
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Skythorn

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Audio/speaker/reversing camera upgrades for Adventure model
My Adventure 90 has arrived at Dealership collecting 1st of March.
Has anyone with an Adventure got any comments on how good or poor the factory fit Alpine unit and speakers are? Has anyone gone for the dealer fit subwoofer similar to the factory fit one on the Landmark or optional on the XS? Are the speakers on the Adventure the XS model (as i suspect) or the upgraded speakers on the Landmark minus the subwoofer?

The alternative is to get a new piano black fascia and double din unit but this seems a shame on a brand new special edition car; however would give me a reversing camera and Garmin satnav in the double din Alpine unit. As opposed to fitting a Garmin reversing camera and portable Garmin satnav linked via bluetooth when reverse is selected (camera wired into reversing light). Has anyone fitted Garmin reversing cameras- are they reliable when hit reverse or temperamental? (you can tell i have zero confidence in my reversing! Embarassed )
Post #495935 24th Jan 2016 9:26pm
Lord Hemming

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
I have an Adventure 90 and have had the factory sub fitted. The LR parts cost double what the Alpine sub costs, but it doesn't require any additional controls as it can be set up from the Alpine head unit. It also has the logo up the correct way so the port for the sound faces the floor.

The speakers aren't great to be honest, there's a number of speaker upgrade threads on the forum, the Focal upgrade seems to be the best although you will loose the OEM look as the best ones don't have a black grill on the tweeters.

I have found the sub to be sufficient for now, I may do the speakers in the summer. The head unit is fine, Bluetooth works well, like you, I didn't want to pull the dash to pieces on a limited production vehicle. I have purchased a TomTom navigation which I attach to the screen if I need it. When my rear step bumper arrives, I will get parking sensors fitted and not bother with the camera.

You have a few weeks to do your homework, lots of information on this excellent forum.
Post #496046 25th Jan 2016 8:40am
Skythorn

Thank you Lord Hemming very concise and logical. I assume you had the Alpine subwoofer fitted at a audio centre rather than a dealer fit - is that correct?
Post #496067 25th Jan 2016 10:07am
Edzi

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
I don't have an Adventure but did have a double din unit installed with a reversing camera and fascia. I did a lot of research and although most Defender owners gravitate towards Alpine, for me the winner was the Pioneer AVIC-F77DAB. It's a superb unit; Sat Nav, dab, reverse camera, Apple Car Play, Android compatibility etc. It's been a few weeks now and I'm super pleased with it. The camera was an Alpine ultra wide angle and it works really well. Can't recommend this highly enough.

Next step are the Morel speakers and a subwoofer; the Pioneer TS-WX120A, probably installed under the passenger seat.
Post #496092 25th Jan 2016 11:16am
ken

United Kingdom 
Garmin Nuvi Cam for me Thumbs Up
Post #496128 25th Jan 2016 1:40pm
Skythorn

Hi
Did you site the Garmin camera on the number plate? Does it come up on your Garmin Nuvi quickly when you select reverse?
Post #496234 25th Jan 2016 4:36pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I've got Focal's in both the 90 and 110... If you want to have a listen I'm only a short trip away... Drop me a PM

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #496320 25th Jan 2016 8:39pm
Lord Hemming

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Skythorn wrote:
Thank you Lord Hemming very concise and logical. I assume you had the Alpine subwoofer fitted at a audio centre rather than a dealer fit - is that correct?

That is correct, we do not have a sub loom in our Defenders and it's not a part you can buy from LR. More here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42960.html
Post #496466 26th Jan 2016 8:30am
Skythorn

Morrisons dealership in Stirling assure me the factory audio upgrade for XS models is now available as a dealership fit. I am yet to hear the price and wether the dashboard speakers are upgraded or just the sub installed to the rear cubby. Hope they will get back to me this week.
Post #496525 26th Jan 2016 11:01am
ken

United Kingdom 
Skythorn wrote:
Hi
Did you site the Garmin camera on the number plate? Does it come up on your Garmin Nuvi quickly when you select reverse?

Yes TBH its fine however if your Shunting its not that good but adequate for my needs and its worth taking the time to set up the Guidance lines
Post #496528 26th Jan 2016 11:09am
Skythorn

Hello Ken
Which model of Garmin do you use that works with your reversing camera?
Post #497437 28th Jan 2016 4:43pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Its called a Garmin NuviCam
Post #497474 28th Jan 2016 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1