↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Mastercraft Courser tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevejt

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Mastercraft Courser tyres
Does anyone know anything about these tyres? A Canadian relative has suggested replacing my BFG ATs with Mastercraft Courser CTs (the BFGs need replacing). Apparently they are highly rated across the Atlantic.

Steve.
Post #43697 27th Oct 2010 8:10pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
You will be lucky to get more than 30k out of them

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #43706 27th Oct 2010 8:43pm
stevejt

30k? Really? Thanks for the heads-up on that. Any other thoughts?

I think I'll stick with what I and everyone else knows. If it ain't broke, don't fix it Smile
Post #43722 27th Oct 2010 10:39pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I got the 30k from a quick google search on that tyre. Having said that and done a bit more searching some people have got 40k out of a set. Generally the feeling I got by looking at various forums was not a great tyre. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #43731 28th Oct 2010 6:10am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
In the US these come with a 50,000 mile guarantee, can't speak for here. They're made by the same people who do Cooper tyres, and a quick google suggests that the courser is the same carcass as the cooper STT with a slightly different tread pattern
Post #43740 28th Oct 2010 8:56am
ken

United Kingdom 
Stick with BFG's
Post #43745 28th Oct 2010 9:15am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
BFGs are now £125 inc vat but ex fitting/balancing (camskill price for 265/75 r16). so to fit and balance 5 you're talking nearly 700 quid.

Other tyres like GG AT2, Maxxis Bighorn etc give you a saving of over 200 quid on that price, yet the mileage they give is not 30% less than the BFGs (in my experience anyway). It may be less, granted, but not 30% less. I think when BFGs were a hundred quid, they were great value, but now, far less so with so many other manufacturers in the market which are cheaper. I don't believe in false economy, but I don't see the point in spending more when you don't need to so I've given up on BFG, and certainly the AT pattern is terrible in mud of any depth. The bfg MTs are excellent, definitely, but if you put a bighorn side by side with a bfg MT, there isn't really any difference in tread depth between them and not much difference in tread pattern either. The boys at west coast 4x4 swapped all their BFGs to Maxxis last year and have never looked back. They say that they havent noticed a difference in tread wear between them. Ok they don't have the "name" of bfg, but they are cracking tyres, and incredible in mud and snow, not to mention well under a hundred quid each, and the overall reputation of maxxis is pretty good, so I'd suggest that rather than worshipping at the alter of bfg, try something different.
Post #43758 28th Oct 2010 10:04am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
BigMike wrote:
In the US these come with a 50,000 mile guarantee, can't speak for here. They're made by the same people who do Cooper tyres, and a quick google suggests that the courser is the same carcass as the cooper STT with a slightly different tread pattern

And coopers are "experimental compunds used by either ProComp or Dick cepek" as I was told by a tire seller. So clients are the lab rats for them Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #43761 28th Oct 2010 10:44am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
The plural of anecdote is not evidence. Coopers have been around a long time, and wouldn't pass the safety tests if they were "experimental"
Post #43762 28th Oct 2010 10:57am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
"experimental" meaning they are on the cheapo side with less lasting rubber compunds. Therefore some models just stay in the market for a while only. At least in SA we tend to get some cr@p from builders. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #43772 28th Oct 2010 12:08pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
MK wrote:
"experimental" meaning they are on the cheapo side with less lasting rubber compunds.

I agree, as a 'Lab Rat' myself I admittedly do drive quite hard and my Coopers are an excellent tyre and I thought value for money with so much rubber on them, nevertheless I have had about 8000miles road use out of them and reckon to have about the same again, maybe a little more? Think I will be opting for BGF KM2s next primarily due to BFGs reputation for longevity. Will not be going for ATs though due to previous experiences! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #43794 28th Oct 2010 4:33pm
stevejt

BigMike wrote:

50k guarantee is US-only.
Post #43893 29th Oct 2010 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1